Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Emission System Service Required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:23 PM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
Emission System Service Required

Hey guys,

I am seeing a "Emission System Service Required" message for the first time in my '06 Vantage today. The Check Engine indicator is showing a steady Amber color. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when it came on other than compensating for the low torque by letting it rev a little higher.

The car sounds and appears to be working just fine, though. I left a message for my AM service guy in Tampa. I should hear from him in the morning and will let you guys know what I find out.

The manual was not much help. If any of you have seen this message or know anything about it, please share with the group.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I have had that happen when I ran the hell out of the car ... like high revs on back roads to/from Sebring (~90min). I have 200 cell cats, RSC exhaust, ECU tune and drilled airboxes (and other stuff but nothing to do w/ engine) .... car never missed a beat w/ light on. Stopped , shut car off and got some caffine .... light went out when started back up. Came on later, again - running very fast again. Parked car in garage, started the next day, no light ... and not on since. Kinda like the ECU had to figure out the mods under a new envirement, make a few adjustments mentally and then all was well. I know there is a better technical answer but that is what happened - I am not a SW engineer. Again car did not miss a beat w/ light on .... and is fine now. BTW also been fully serviced since then and no issues.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by acabrera
Hey guys,

I am seeing a "Emission System Service Required" message for the first time in my '06 Vantage today. The Check Engine indicator is showing a steady Amber color. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary when it came on other than compensating for the low torque by letting it rev a little higher.

The car sounds and appears to be working just fine, though. I left a message for my AM service guy in Tampa. I should hear from him in the morning and will let you guys know what I find out.

The manual was not much help. If any of you have seen this message or know anything about it, please share with the group.
It isn't uncommon for this to happen on the Vantage, especially if you have been driving 'sensibly' for a few drive cycles. When you suddenly change driving styles and nail it the ECU freaks out a bit because there is a sudden change in all the airflow, lambda etc. readings. Typically if this happens the ECU will 're-learn' and adjust within a few drive cycles. Should be within 10. Alternatively you can pop into the dealer and they will be able to re-set it for you in a couple of minutes. In the meantime if you want the display to go back to the speedo just push the 'Read' button on the center console and it will cycle through until the speedo comes up.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
I drove it normally for 40 miles and the "Emission System Maintenance Required" message popped up a half an hour ago... WTF??? Tried to reset it by pushing the button at the end of the signal lever but it did not do anything. There are no ECU mods on the car at all and again, I just drove it like I usually do keeping it at 90 mph. Is my message the same as the original post?

Old 10-05-2009, 06:56 PM
SonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of lightSonicKrack is a glorious beacon of light
I just checked again, it is the same "Emission System Service Required" and the READ button by the Nav erased it however the amber engine symbol is still on.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:13 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
mission System Service Required

SonicKrack I just checked again, it is the same "Emission System Service Required" and the READ button by the Nav erased it however the amber engine symbol is still on.

i had the same problem and my ECU never learned driving many days with the same problem haha , i replaced the O2 sensors in the exhaust like 5 months ago and never had that problem again . I think they where like $45dlls with my dealer.
Let me know if you have any questions.

2006 Vantage/AM Power Upgrade/Tubi Exhaust(louder)

Old 10-05-2009, 08:21 PM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
Update...

I heard from my AM service guy today. His first thought was that I should check the gas cap. He mentioned that if that was the issue it could take up to a week for the warning message to go away after several cycles of the system checks. I did go ahead and loosen and then tighten the gas cap but I don't think that will resolve the issue.

I think it is more likely a simple issue of a change in overall driving just as several folks have mentioned in this thread.

So, the warning light is still showing but, as Stuart@RSC mentioned, you can press the Read button to make the text message go away and let the digital speedo show. Also, as Michael attested, the car is still running just fine so this certainly does not feel like an emergency.

I will see what happens after about a week and let you all know the outcome.

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Acabrera,

Thanks for updating the post with the fresh info. The closest dealer to me is in Calgary about 200 miles and frankly I don't have the time to drive upthere for an indicator reset. I have not opened the gas cap in 3 months, I don't think that is the problem at all... I wish they would not push that issue with every warning light question. Again, thanks for the info, I feal much better.

Last edited by SonicKrack; 10-05-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 PM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
Change the oxygen sensors at any shop they are bosh and unexpensive.
I had they same issue before. No big deal.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:24 PM
JeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant future
The same thing happened to me this weekend. The emissions light failure went off. I called my dealer and he saie he would reset the OBD2 and wipe off the error message. The car is running just fine. My service coordinator had a great recommendation. For about $100 I went to Kragens auto supply tonight and purchased a portable OBD2 diagnostic reader. It hooks easily into the OBD2 port under the steering wheel to the right. With the ignition key in on position (but car not turned off) I was able to see what the failure mode was (slight O2 detection error); and reset the computer myself. This took 2 minutes and all I had to do was push the delete key and reset key on the OBD2 hand held interface. Very cool tool. I recommend this device.

Jeff

Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I live in the land of Ford and Chevy Pickups... I would appreciate that Bosch O2 sensor model number and their location on the car a LOT. I will order it and see if I can replace it on my own. By the way I have the Quicksilver exhaust, I assume the O2 sensors stayed where AM installed them.

Last edited by SonicKrack; 10-06-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Jeff, I would appreciate if you gave me a make and model number on that Diagnostics reader. The ones I read about don't have that reset feature and the two local car part stores do not carry it, but they can order it for me for $200. I rather get one that has been tested on Astons(yours)

Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM
JeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant futureJeffRB has a brilliant future
The OBD2 diagnostic tool that I purchased is made by Innova; model no. 3130 of the CanOBD2 series. You can find out more about it at www.CanOBD2.com. I paid $222.00 for this. It also has a cool feature that allows you to hook it up and run diagnostics while driving the car. Tells you all manner of info. about emissions systems running on your Aston. I will keep mine in the car, in case it throws an emissions code in the future. My car has significant mods, so anything could have (but should not have) thrown the code. My car has factory N400 intake kit, RSC reprogrammed ECU, RSC 200 cell cats, RSC exhaust.

Best of luck, Jeff

Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Emission System Service Requiered

Sonickrak Said,

I live in the land of Ford and Chevy Pickups... I would appreciate that Bosch O2 sensor model number and their location on the car a LOT. I will order it and see if I can replace it on my own. By the way I have the Quicksilver exhaust, I assume the O2 sensors stayed where AM installed them.

The dealers computer read this CODE P0133 in PCM.
The part number is 6G33-9F472-AA.
The dealer description was Sensor ASSY HEGO.

This is made by BOSH so its very easy to fin it on the internet, i think they run for $45.00 USD, my dealer intalled them for free.

For the installation i think they are located in the Cats, but im not sure . If somebody know in this Forum please let us know.
Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage/AM Power Upgrade/Tubi.
2008 G55 AMG.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ray Portilla
For the installation i think they are located in the Cats, but im not sure . If somebody know in this Forum please let us know.
Thanks.
Sensors are in the catalyst assembly - pretty easy to change, little bit fiddly to access though.

Name:  AstonCats001.jpg
Views: 8548
Size:  96.2 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Emission System Service Required