Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Emission System Service Required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
brabham79 is on a distinguished road
same exact error message came up for me tonight.
same reactions as you guys. car drives fine, feels fine, etc...

luckily my pops got me not too long ago a nice actron autoscanner, i get to break it in!

funny coincidence, i filled er up for the first time as the new owner today and wonder if i may have the fuel cap causing the reading. as the error message popped up hours later

Old 03-05-2011, 10:19 PM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
Should be fine after about 10 starts. Let us know what happens.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 AM
watchrabbit is on a distinguished road
No worries, it'll disappear :-). The dealer even warned me that with fuse 22 pulled, I should get the warning after pushing the car. I refill and 5 restarts later, it was gone! ;-)

Old 03-06-2011, 02:02 PM
klittlehale is on a distinguished road
This thread is a perfect demonstration of how valuable this forum is. Yesterday as I was driving home the "Emission service required" light came on. I was already aware of the fact that a loose gas cap can cause an issue so I stopped and check that-- it seemed OK and unfortunately the light stayed on. Since I could detect no problem with car I continued driving and was planning on making a service appointment this next week--since the car is out of warranty I was dreading the potential expense. Yet I check this forum and found this thread, and consequently I drove the Vantage on several errands today. After the stopping and starting the car several times the warning disappeared-- Yeah! This saved me a lot of time and money in not having work with the dealership. Thanks all!

Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 PM
brabham79 is on a distinguished road
had it at the dealer this morning to get the key fobs programmed and picked the car up with the message gone. must have cleared it there. hasnt come back up the rest of the day.
to piggy back on littlehale, these forums are really fantastic.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:07 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Hey guys,

I think my recent scare was also the same phenomenon ... its gone away and never come back after I cleared the codes with OBD2 reader. Car feels great and has no issues.

I guess the ECU just gets "overwhelmed" from time to time ... these Astons really do have a unique character of their own haha.

Thx again,
________
Vanesshot cam

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:11 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
At least A-M identifies this as an "Emission Systems" problem. Most cars have a "Check Engine Light", which causes a lot of people to semi-panic, maybe even pull the car off the road and call for a tow. Strictly speaking, this light has nothing to do with the engine--it's all related to the emission system. So if something as simple as a Spark Plug fails to fire one time, or an injector fails one-time--the warning is activated. Then if it doesn't happen for 3-5 more "Start-run" cycles it will automatically turn itself off.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:10 PM
acabrera will become famous soon enough
Well, it sure scared the crap out of me when I first saw the "Emission" message a couple of years ago but, thanks to this forum, I quickly stepped back off the ledge. I'll bet we have all saved a ton of money just talking things through with each other before getting dealer or 3rd party service.

I like it here.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 PM
BraBiz is on a distinguished road
Have 07 DB9, 16,000 miles. Changed the air filters for K&N style filters (from UK). A week after installation, service light came on. Will it eventually go out, or do I have to go to AM for a 2 minute fix? Some gents above suggest the car will learn the new airflow. I'll give it another week.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BraBiz
Have 07 DB9, 16,000 miles. Changed the air filters for K&N style filters (from UK). A week after installation, service light came on. Will it eventually go out, or do I have to go to AM for a 2 minute fix? Some gents above suggest the car will learn the new airflow. I'll give it another week.
Service notification should be able to be cleared, if that's your problem:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ice-reset.html

Old 06-19-2016, 07:14 PM
BillV8V has a spectacular aura aboutBillV8V has a spectacular aura aboutBillV8V has a spectacular aura about
I know this is an old thread but this one deserves a bump, it saved me a trip to the dealer this weekend

Old 11-22-2016, 11:03 AM
EAP
EAP is an unknown quantity at this point
Vantage O2 Sensors Replacement Guide?...

Hello, I am new and read all the postings on O2 Sensors, one stating that it is not difficult to do (pictures of cats). Q: could any of you provide any tips/instructions on the easiest way to do it. I can lift the car on a two-post lift, and will purchase the NGK-NTK sensors (upstream) noted on these postings. I have a 2006 Vantage and will sincerely appreciate any guidance any of you can provide. Thank you!

Old 12-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Just sent this to someone in an email this morning:

It's a pretty straight-forward job:
1) You'll be working underneath the car so get the car on jackstands or use a lift. http://www.redpants.lol/how-to-get-the-car-on-jack-stands/
2) The catalytic converters are the bulbous sections of the exhaust, just forward of the middle of the car. There are o2 sensors in front of the cats and behind them - all sensors in the same piece of pipe as the cats themselves.
3) Make sure the exhaust is cool or cold before starting! You WILL burn yourself if the exhaust has not cooled off.
4) Unplug the o2 sensor.
5) Space is tight between the cats and the heat shielding. I've found it easiest to use a box-end wrench (can't remember the exact size off the top of my head, sorry!) or crescent wrench to loosen the o2 sensor. It may help if you soak the o2 sensor in a little PB Blaster or other rust-breaking agent for a few minutes to before you try the wrench. Once the o2 sensor has started spinning, you should be able to do it by hand - a wrench is only really needed to 'break the seal' to loosen it.
6) As you're spinning the o2 sensor free of the cat pipe, pay attention to its wiring to make sure it isn't binding on anything as the o2 sensor spins. This isn't too important when removing the old one, but is important when installing the new one.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
i thought the 06 model didn't have o2 sensors post cat?

Old 12-08-2016, 07:22 AM
EAP
EAP is an unknown quantity at this point
Than you Richard, this is very helpful. I will post some pictures if they turn out OK when I do the job. Also, do you know if the NGK-NTK sensors mentioned in these postings are "plug and play" i.e. they come with the correct Aston connectors with no need to splice wires. They are less expensive than OEM.

Again, truly appreciated, thank you for your guidance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Emission System Service Required