Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

07 db9 ppi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 02:49 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
07 db9 ppi

Had a PPI done and want your opinion on what it would takw to fix.

Car is a volante and has 29k miles.

1) Yellowing and has small cracks in both headlights.

2) Passenger window, you can hear wires rattling, so I think the motor is about to go,

3) Rear passenger 1/4 will not close all the, so that motor is toast.

4) The cable that pulls the convertible hatch closed on the driver side is not there.

5) Oil leak at the front of the engine.

6) Nav door is loose, it will open and close but barely.

7) Passenger door will lock w/key, but not unlock

Car is $52k, so about how much do the parts cost?

Last edited by randyb; 12-18-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:02 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Nav door *might* be cheap to fix. Everything else will be costly. (1) Headlights are about $1,500 each, (2) window regulator @ about $1K, (5) oil leak could be engine out repair, (7) door module $1K each (might need a pair).

Sounds like it's lived a hard life for 29K miles.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks, the leak is in the front, could it be the front oil seal.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:06 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Timing chain cover leak happens sometimes on the V8s. Never heard much about V12s leaking at the front. Just about zero room to work at the front of a DB9 engine.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:09 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
It seems the car was not care for, thus the asking price of $52K- bet it could be had for less. Once someone qualified gets into the repairs, who really know what $$ it will take to get it to what you want.
For comparison, there is a really nice 07 DB 9 coupe ( saw it in person last week) in Central Fl w/apox 7500 miles for sale in the mid/upper $60's. Good luck-hope you find an Aston that works for you.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by 07sportspack
It seems the car was not care for, thus the asking price of $52K- bet it could be had for less. Once someone qualified gets into the repairs, who really know what $$ it will take to get it to what you want.
For comparison, there is a really nice 07 DB 9 coupe ( saw it in person last week) in Central Fl w/apox 7500 miles for sale in the mid/upper $60's. Good luck-hope you find an Aston that works for you.
Thanks, in Vero this weekend, will have to go look at that one

Old 12-18-2015, 07:40 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
Walk away. These are clear sign of a very neglected db9! What YVR stated will be very costly to fix. Plus when they will start working on it they probably will find more issues.
$52k is way to much money for that car!

if you can get it for 35k it would be worth taking the risk. IMHO.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
V12s do have front timing cover leaks on occasion. If not under warranty, it is a live with it situation unless it's real bad (engine out to fix). I'd walk away in any case, unless dirt cheap.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:20 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Just from experience on quotes from very minor repairs on the Aston, something of that magnitude, at a shop that works on exotic, probably least 20k in repair bills

Old 12-21-2015, 06:16 PM
The window regulator is $300 and 1/4 window one is $350. Tonneau latch fix is $55. Found out the oil leak is right side valve cover and I can do all the work, so that leaves the the headlights and they are 1600 ea. plus shipping, so am planning to offer $47.5 for the car.
What do you think?
Should I have my head examined?

Old 12-21-2015, 06:20 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
With the implication that the car was "rode hard and put away wet", your plan fixes the issues you can see now but doesn't address the likely high wear and tear on other items that may fail sooner than normal.

It just feels like this car has been abused and you may be buying future problems. I bought a well used 97 XK8 in 2000 and over the next 9 years it was in the shop for over 100 days being repaired. I think if I'd bought a better car I'd have had better results

Old 12-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
With the implication that the car was "rode hard and put away wet", your plan fixes the issues you can see now but doesn't address the likely high wear and tear on other items that may fail sooner than normal.

It just feels like this car has been abused and you may be buying future problems. I bought a well used 97 XK8 in 2000 and over the next 9 years it was in the shop for over 100 days being repaired. I think if I'd bought a better car I'd have had better results
You are probably right, looks like I need to keep looking.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2015, 08:40 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
The thing you need to keep in mind to, is that if it is your dream car you are willing to spend more money.

There are quite a view Astons for sale with weird two tone leather color combo's etc. I was looking for my DB9 with the right specs. It took me over a year to find the one with the specs i wanted. The car had also some issues. Normally i would have walked away to buy a other car. But finding the car with the right specs i took the gamble and spend extra money but at least i have my dream db9!

if this is the car you want and you know where you getting into go for it!
But try to get it low forties'

Old 12-22-2015, 02:14 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I took two years to find the '06 DB9 Volante I wanted and ended up paying $47k for one with 38k miles, a good maintenance history, and excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition.
I wouldn't pay more than $40k for the car you're talking about. Actually, I'd avoid it altogether, as there may be further issues lurking under the surface. If you're patient, I predict you can find a VERY clean '06 or '07 for $50k within six months.