Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston martin engine builders?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:57 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deckman
Yes but won't the clutch need to be upgraded? When you add significant power to most cars the stock clutch won't hold and and I assume that is the case with the Vantage. So my assumption is that you need to budget for a clutch replacement also. Unless the V8V uses the same clutch as the AM11 based V12S, then it should be OK.
A case can be made that the clutch needs to be upgraded on the standard vantage that has no additional power

Old 03-20-2016, 07:32 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Yeah but the question is will the stock clutch hold with the additional power or will it begin to slip straight away?

Old 03-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
Yes but won't the clutch need to be upgraded? When you add significant power to most cars the stock clutch won't hold and and I assume that is the case with the Vantage. So my assumption is that you need to budget for a clutch replacement also. Unless the V8V uses the same clutch as the AM11 based V12S, then it should be OK.
The stock clutch, if it is assumed to be in good working order does possess enough clamping load to handle the torque without slipping. Whether it will last long really comes down to the driver. With this kind of out put level if you start dumping the clutch and doing 'shift without lift' power-shifting I'm sure it could be destroyed much more quickly.

It will probably be on a case-by case basis. For example if someone just had their clutch replaced last week, I'd say leave it in there, drive the car with the turbo kit and get all the miles you can. With mechanical sensitivity I wouldn't be surprised if one could get 15,000 miles or more on the stock clutch, which could be 3+ years of use?

Having said that, if someone ordered a kit and said they had a 40,000 mile car, still on the stock clutch I would say replace it 100%. But under those circumstances I think you'd be on schedule for a clutch replacement anyway.

Undoubtedly, the extra power will result in faster clutch wear, but I don't think it is a go/no go situation with the stock clutch I think it's a case-by-case.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
When you get this package finalized I will consider it. Some of it will be timing and the WAF. I will be getting a good sized payment in late April that this wouldn't eat into very much. So if it is ready by that time I could have a good chance with agreeing. Sorry to sound like such a wimp but we have a partnership and neither of us spend chunks of money without approval from the other.

Back to the clutch my car has 9K miles and the clutch feels completely normal.