Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Roof/display issues, Vantage V8 2008

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:04 PM
SimonB is on a distinguished road
Roof/display issues, Vantage V8 2008

First off all, sorry for my spelling - this is not my native language...

So, I was buying the Aston Marting V8 Vantage - because it was a dream of mine for so many years. As all the scientists keeps talking about global warming, I could not choose another one but the topless one.

I have had it for about 2 months now, and it has been driving without any issues at all. Only one time about a months ago, when the roof wouldn't go all the way down (my wife was driving!). As I remember the car was turned off and on again, and I could get it back on tracks.

Anyway, I went away for 3 days to Barcelona with some friends, which by the way is a great city. Then my wife calls me and tells she got "the bad news - I didn't crash the car - but it acts weird". This is not the thing you want to hear when you are trying to have a blast 2000 km from home. "Luckily" we had had a few GT's and I thought it might be gone when I got back.. It wasn't!

I’ll try to write it in points, which maybe will give you an idea about the issue.
  • She was driving when it started to rain heavily - after some time the “traction control”-lamp turned on.
  • After 20 kilometers, it was possible to get of the highway, and the car was turned of.
  • The car was started again, and then it seemed ok again.
  • After 50 km. the car was turned of again at a petrol station - when trying to use the remote door lock the car didn’t lock
  • When the car was turned on again after 5 min. all the lights went on (SRS, Airbag, Can't display gear, brakes eg.)
  • The instruments stopped working (no speedometer/rpm-activity) - except the “Brake”-light even though it was not on (handbrake)

The car was driven home and parked in the garage (thursday). The next day it started up normally - and nothing was wrong, it seemed.

Today (monday) I drove the car to work, without any problems. But going home I tried to open the roof, and it didn’t work. It sounded like the “roof-engine” was running and there was a little movement like it was trying to start opening the roof, but nothing happened. The sound was in the right-back side of the roof, and no sound from the “clamps” over the front window where the roof is attached.

I drove home, turned off the car, and started it again. Then the above “disco-light”-procedure started again with all the indication lamps on. This of course reminded me of the great weekend in Barcelona, and I therefore tried to turn on the music (but it didn't work), this was a total setback and my mood quickly changed.

I have tested some other things, during the issue:

1. The turn signal is not working when in this mode
2. The instrument panel is not working - sometimes, when driving (yes I tried to drive a little) it turnes on with some information about the failures and turn down again
3. The electric windows only works temporarily
4. The button for opening/closing the roof is not responding at all (no sounds)
5. The windows will not step down/up when opening/closing the doors
6. The key doesn’t lock the doors
7. The radio is dead
8. The aircon is dead
9. The GPS is off
10. Even though the indications is on it drives perfectly normal?

Sometimes the GPS/Radio eg. can be turned on, but then after a short while it doesn’t react. If the car is turned of the GPS-system is still on and won’t close down again.

I tried to restart the battery with the button in the trunk - and it didn't change anything.

Later I tried to read the battery charge - and it was 12,49V.

After this, I tried to start the car and everything works ok again? I had left the car turned of for about 1 hour. I didn't find that amusing at all, drove the car for a spin and it seemed to work again.

However, coming back and trying to open the roof and it stopped halfway, and a restart didn't change anything. I manually opened the roof, and the last few centimeters was closed electronically with the button. Now my mood was beginning to get up again - but the promised global warming have not reached Denmark yet, so I had to close it.
On the way up - there was a "knack"-sound and my wife (this is true I promise) which sat on the front seat and pulled the trigger - said something squirted on her. It was a piston/valve I think - and after that, there was no mechanical reaction when pulling on the roof-contact.

One of the first things I decided was that the car was a "she" - and that made the squirt-thing quite awkward. Is this car jealous - why is these things happening when she is around (my wife), and do I need to change wife or car - I'm confused!

It must be obvious that I need some kind of advice - so please help
I'm not hoping for miracles, but maybe some kind of indication of what to expect at the workshop..

Thanks
Simon "polygami" Brandt

Something about not being able to display gear

Fail on the brakes

This is while driving

This is also when driving

Old 04-11-2016, 02:17 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Might be the CRM:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lfunction.html

When that goes bad, the car throws lots of weird errors.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:31 PM
SimonB is on a distinguished road
I had it checked at the AM workshop before it was bought, and they told me there was a hidden ECU malfunction (module is about 930€ ex. install) - so this maybe is the issue, or as someone else suggests the CRM module (1000€).

Thank you - really appreciate your quick reply!

Old 04-11-2016, 02:45 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
If you click the link I posted, you'll see the problem that person had was the CRM.