Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replace damaged dash leather with Alcantara

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Looks great, mine is an off color so it will be tough to match... or maybe easy because barely anyone uses green alacantara haha

Old 04-28-2016, 02:07 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
I'm sure you've absolutely right. I got a bunch of samples from Golf but they couldn't really "cross reference" the color number to the name Aston Martin called my grey color alcantara. None of the samples looked like a "perfect" match as I'm sure you've experienced how the color looks so different depending on the direction of the matting is laid, lighting etc. That's when I just got frustrated and concerned I'd wind up picking the wrong "shade of grey" from Golf Fabrics. Initially I reached out to Boyriven to just get help with the color code selection as they'd know for sure which colors were sold to Aston Martin of course. I had it narrowed down to a couple possibilities from the samples Golf sent me however Boyriven agreed to just sell to me instead and it was considerably cheaper as I recall.

Last edited by speedracer800; 04-28-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:53 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Because of your referral I had to call them as well, interestingly enough the interior colors AM uses are the same color name they use as well. Makes things much easier

Old 05-01-2016, 10:11 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Looks really good! Wouldn't work for me because although my leather is black, my alcantara, including the A pillar is a a very light color. I think it might look odd where they meet.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
Please help with Alcantara color match

Can anybody out there help me out with finding Alcantara's color code number for the Alcantara in the attached photo? It's shown in direct sunlight with the matting laying upwards and downwards. The color on this parcel shelf is the same as my headliner. I'd like to redo the same 2 panels that Cattman did except matching them to the headliner. Do you think that would look appropriate with a black leather dash or should I play it safe and use black Alcantara?
Thanks

P.S. I've tried getting a hold of Gulf Fabrics but get no reply.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0610.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	447261  
Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
That looks like 9002, but to be certain, look at your build sheet (you can get it from your dealer if you give them your VIN). Obsidian black headliner, as I have, is a match for 9002 Alcantara. I matched those dash panels with my headliner and A-Pillar, although the leather interior dash is Obsidian black. So I did exactly what you are considering doing.
CATTMAN

Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
2007 Vantage Coupe

Any chance you know the corresponding number for "Moon Shadow" - that's the headliner description on my build sheet? It's a moderately light color.
Great job on your modification!
Thanks!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:20 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deckman
Looks really good! Wouldn't work for me because although my leather is black, my alcantara, including the A pillar is a a very light color. I think it might look odd where they meet.

Not alcantara, but three colors coming together at the A pillar.

Regards

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&d=1462227565

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ac7842bb462c4828998e3df407f669a7.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	447339  
Old 05-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DonL
Any chance you know the corresponding number for "Moon Shadow" - that's the headliner description on my build sheet? It's a moderately light color.
Great job on your modification!
Thanks!
Here's the official Alcantara color chart:
http://www.alcantara.com/cms-web/upl...lacolori_2.pdf
Looks like 2911 to my eye.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 05-03-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
If you can, order swatches to test and compare in person. Photos rarely get alcantara right.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Cattman, just another couple of questions:
Gulf Fabrics tells me that the lighter-weight 'panel' Alcantara that is usually used on dashboards comes with no backing of any kind. The Alcantara in your description and photos definitely has a backing (is it a fabric-lined foam?). Is the lined Alcantara which you used the heavier 'cover' Alcantara (which is generally used on seats)?
Thanks for clearing this up for me, Cattman. I'd like my results to come out as good-looking as yours.

Last edited by Yorick; 05-03-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Yorick
Cattman, just another couple of questions:
Gulf Fabrics tells me that the lighter-weight 'panel' Alcantara that is usually used on dashboards comes with no backing of any kind. The Alcantara in your description and photos definitely has a backing (is it a fabric-lined foam?). Is the lined Alcantara which you used the heavier 'cover' Alcantara (which is generally used on seats)?
Thanks for clearing this up for me, Cattman. I'd like my results to come out as good-looking as yours.
I used Alcantara with a very thin padded backing, and would recommend you do the same for a couple of reasons:

1. the damaged leather I removed had a fabric/ padding backed piece between the plastic and the leather. That made me feel that I should use a similar design.
2. the backing helps ensure that the adhesive doesn't bleed through.

Make sure it's a thin enough backing that you can still wrap it tightly around the panel. Too thick and you'll have a challenge.
CATTMAN

Old 05-03-2016, 05:08 PM
Did your Alcantara come from the supplier with the padding already glued to it or did you glue the padding to the back of the Alcantara yourself?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Yorick
Did your Alcantara come from the supplier with the padding already glued to it or did you glue the padding to the back of the Alcantara yourself?
Yorik, I was able to chance upon a couple of yards of the color Alcantara that I needed, that was already padding backed. But, to give you a sense of how thin the backing is, it's less than a millimeter, tissue thin in fact- it's absolutely minimal. It's less like padding that it is a backing.
CATTMAN

Old 05-03-2016, 06:56 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Cattman
Here's the official Alcantara color chart:
http://www.alcantara.com/cms-web/upl...lacolori_2.pdf
Looks like 2911 to my eye.
CATTMAN
It looks like you have a "calibrated" sense of color ranges...I believe that is the correct one for my Vantage.
Many thanks for a valuable resource for the rest of us...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replace damaged dash leather with Alcantara