Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replace damaged dash leather with Alcantara

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Yorick is on a distinguished road
Cattman I just wanted to say thank you for your great solution to the leather peeling off these 2 front panels. Just to clarify, there are about five different grades of Alcantra. After quite a bit of googling and research I determined that the unlined material is called Pannel Alcantara and is used on headliners and sometimes on dashboards. The lined material shown in your post is called Cover Alcantara, which on your recommendation, is what I am going use on my panels. It's normally used on seats but judging by your amazing results it's what we should use for this job.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:21 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
I used Alcantara with a very thin padded backing, and would recommend you do the same for a couple of reasons:

1. the damaged leather I removed had a fabric/ padding backed piece between the plastic and the leather. That made me feel that I should use a similar design.
2. the backing helps ensure that the adhesive doesn't bleed through.

Make sure it's a thin enough backing that you can still wrap it tightly around the panel. Too thick and you'll have a challenge.
CATTMAN
The webbing material on the back of the cover grade Alcantara is meant to give it additional strength when used on seating surfaces so it doesn't rip through from your body weight. It is not recommended for other surfaces because the webbing makes it more difficult and sometimes impossible to wrap around more complex contours without bunching.

It is common practice to use a thin layer of "sew foam" under the surface fabric when upholstering hard panels. This gives a smoother finish that won't telegraph any imperfections below to the surface and feels nicer to the touch.

If you apply the Alcantara over the existing leather, you won't need to use sew foam since there is usually a layer of it under the leather already. The advantage, when using Alcantara on top of leather that is still in good shape is that it allows you to change the interior's appearance without doing damage to the leather underneath. I have removed Alcantara years later and the leather underneath is still perfect. The spray adhesive can be easily removed by rolling it with your finger.

Also, if your adhesive is bleeding through the fabric, you are using way too much. You should only use a small misting on the flat surfaces. Any excess or small mistakes with the adhesive getting on the outer surface of the Alcantara can be cleaned up by dabbing it with a clean white terrycloth moistened with mineral spirits.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
The webbing material on the back of the cover grade Alcantara is meant to give it additional strength when used on seating surfaces so it doesn't rip through from your body weight. It is not recommended for other surfaces because the webbing makes it more difficult and sometimes impossible to wrap around more complex contours without bunching.

It is common practice to use a thin layer of "sew foam" under the surface fabric when upholstering hard panels. This gives a smoother finish that won't telegraph any imperfections below to the surface and feels nicer to the touch.

If you apply the Alcantara over the existing leather, you won't need to use sew foam since there is usually a layer of it under the leather already. The advantage, when using Alcantara on top of leather that is still in good shape is that it allows you to change the interior's appearance without doing damage to the leather underneath. I have removed Alcantara years later and the leather underneath is still perfect. The spray adhesive can be easily removed by rolling it with your finger.

Also, if your adhesive is bleeding through the fabric, you are using way too much. You should only use a small misting on the flat surfaces. Any excess or small mistakes with the adhesive getting on the outer surface of the Alcantara can be cleaned up by dabbing it with a clean white terrycloth moistened with mineral spirits.

My DIY is about replacing damaged leather dash panels with color-matched Alcantara- not simply layering Alcantara on top of healthy AM leather panels for the sake of switching things up. I did not experience any issues with the webbed/ padded backed genuine Alcantara that I used. In fact, the thickness of it better matched the padding-backed leather that I removed from the plastic under-panel, and was amazingly easy to work with.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 05-05-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:11 AM
tragicallyhip has a spectacular aura abouttragicallyhip has a spectacular aura abouttragicallyhip has a spectacular aura about
This is gorgeous. I have a small peel starting on the passenger-side panel. I'm going to do this. Thanks for posting!

Old 10-06-2023, 11:38 AM
IJWS will become famous soon enoughIJWS will become famous soon enough
I agree. This looks absolutely fantastic! I don't have any damage (it was repaired by a PO) but if I did, I think alcantara would look so much nicer on the dash. A little more contemporary. How are the reflections with the alcantara vs the leather?

Old 10-06-2023, 04:02 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I'm thinking of doing my dash binacle with this

Old 10-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Marmot is an unknown quantity at this point
What serendipitous timing. I have been talking to an upholsterer in Tampa about doing the binnacle as well. This is invaluable to match the obsidian black. I haven't gotten an estimate back with a number but just confirmation its doable and reasonable.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:00 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marmot
What serendipitous timing. I have been talking to an upholsterer in Tampa about doing the binnacle as well. This is invaluable to match the obsidian black. I haven't gotten an estimate back with a number but just confirmation its doable and reasonable.
let me know what you decide. I'm in Orlando and it would be good to have someone familiar with the car.

Mine was done about 7 years ago just before I bought the car. My interior is phantom grey and the leather didn't match exactly. I have some spare original BOW leather but don't want to use it on the binacle.

Old 10-10-2023, 09:23 AM
I've been emailing with the shop. My interior is obsidian black with piano black, and I think the same headliner as in the OP's pictures. I'll definitely get some photos for the forum when I get it done. My rationale is that in the short term its less expensive than Bridge of Weir leather, or plain leather, and if I hate it I can pony up for the leather anyway without much of a loss. When I get it done I'll put the estimate up and the photos before and after. Ideally I'll have this done before the 28th when I'll be at a show in Sarasota in St. Armand's Circle.

Old 10-11-2023, 08:07 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Which upholster in Tampa can I ask?

Old 10-11-2023, 08:12 AM
I'm using Auto Trim Upholstery Inc., on North Florida Avenue, hopefully he gets back to me today or tomorrow.

Old 10-19-2023, 04:48 PM
PC-V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MRCW
let me know what you decide. I'm in Orlando and it would be good to have someone familiar with the car.

Mine was done about 7 years ago just before I bought the car. My interior is phantom grey and the leather didn't match exactly. I have some spare original BOW leather but don't want to use it on the binacle.
Where were you able to find the original BOW phantom grey leather if you don't mind me asking? I'm nearly a year into looking for it and still haven't found a source. BOW says it's now out of production.

Old 10-19-2023, 05:54 PM
Import will become famous soon enough
Looks fantastic…just had mine fixed..if it shrinks again…I’m going alcantera…..

Old 10-19-2023, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by PC-V8V
Where were you able to find the original BOW phantom grey leather if you don't mind me asking? I'm nearly a year into looking for it and still haven't found a source. BOW says it's now out of production.
Got mine about 4 or 5 years ago from Rich at Redpants...

Last edited by MRCW; 10-20-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:58 AM
greyboxer is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been emailing with the shop. My interior is obsidian black with piano black, and I think the same headliner as in the OP's pictures. I'll definitely get some photos for the forum when I get it done. My rationale is that in the short term its less expensive than Bridge of Weir leather, or plain leather, and if I hate it I can pony up for the leather anyway without much of a loss. When I get it done I'll put the estimate up and the photos before and after. Ideally I'll have this done before the 28th when I'll be at a show in Sarasota in St. Armand's Circle.
Have a 2011 with Obsidian Black/Piano Black and am very interested in your results, as my A-pillar and headliner alcantara is a lighter gray so matching that would be impossible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replace damaged dash leather with Alcantara