Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replace damaged dash leather with Alcantara

Old 04-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Cattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond repute
Replace damaged dash leather with Alcantara

I had the usual damage on the front two leather dashboard panels, where the leather had shrunk due to sun exposure. Rather than replace it with leather that might not match color and grain perfectly, I decided to match the Alcantara A-pillars and headliner. Alcantara, being a synthetic material, will not shrink like leather, and stands up very well and is easy to clean. I was able to do this for $75, which is what a yard of Alcantara + shipping cost me.

I believe the correct color match is 9002, which is called "Anthracite". Keep in mind that Alcantara is a brand name of a specific ultra-suede. So if you can source real Alcantara, as you can from Gulf Fabrics in Tampa, FL, I found color 9002 Anthracite to be the best match.

Here are some photos of the process:
Step 1: remove the damaged leather and padding
Step 2: lay the panel out on your padding-backed Alcantara
Step 3: trace an outline of the panel on the back of the Alcantara
Step 4: cut out your template, leaving an inch or two all around
Step 5: spray 3M 74 adhesive on both the panel, and the Alcantara, let sit for 3-5 minutes, mate them
Step 6: work the Alcantara around the curves and shape of the panel

Attached Images          

Last edited by Cattman; 04-27-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:45 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
it looks fantastic! well done, I wish i was this handy. interior is not a place i will test my DIY

Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM
telum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond reputetelum01 has a reputation beyond repute
That looks awesome! Well done

Old 04-27-2016, 01:49 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Nicely done.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:25 PM
embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Seems to match the headliner well. As I look at your pictures I am reminded of taking photographs and then saying "why did I not close that damm door"

Old 04-27-2016, 02:54 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Can I bring my car over and have you do this???

Will bring nice beer, scotch, etc...

Good job

Old 04-27-2016, 03:17 PM
handyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to behold
Very nice job, well done

Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Looks really good!

Old 04-27-2016, 04:54 PM
Cattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond reputeCattman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by randyb View Post
Can I bring my car over and have you do this???

Will bring nice beer, scotch, etc...

Good job

If you are in the area, absolutely. If you do the prep in terms of removing the panels (passenger side is a bit fiddly) the whole thing shouldn't take more than 2 hours maximum. But let me know if you want to do this so I can order more of the right Alcantara.
CATTMAN

Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Very nice, excellent work!

Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Excellent work! Looks perfect!

Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
super job

man that looks good, looks factory, like it was always there.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:35 AM
MrCLOS has a spectacular aura aboutMrCLOS has a spectacular aura aboutMrCLOS has a spectacular aura about
Cattman - you are saving a lot of souls with this gem. Fantastic work.

Like everyone said, it looks factory, or better yet, a $5K option.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Wow! That's fantastic! I never considered how doing this would really work so well because of how these dash pieces tie in so nicely with the inner "A" pillar upholstered sections. Makes it look absolutely original..

Wonderful idea.. Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" it?

FYI.. Supplier to Aston Martin for their Alcantara is called "Boyriven". Obviously this company is in the UK, however they sold me my headliner material direct. Very good pricing, easy as an email with the year and description of the color of my original alcantara. I couldn't seem to find the correct match from Golf Fabrics.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:40 PM
The 9002 Anthracite looks dark online, and even the swatch Gulf sent me looked dark- until I put it in the car next to the A-Pillar. It looks spot-on to me. FWIW, AM notes my headliner color as "Obsidian" on the build sheet, and I believe that corresponds to Alcantara brand's 9002 Anthracite.
CATTMAN

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Replace damaged dash leather with Alcantara

Join 6SpeedOnline
Visit our Sponsors

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.