Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin DB9 air ride custom suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 06:08 PM
SinisterSF is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by C1Forged
I cant say for sure, but Bilstein would be my first suggestion. The biggest reason for lifespan is that the stock strut is designed around the stock spring. Once you change the spring out, specially for a lowering spring, you're riding around partially compressed. At that point, you bottom out sooner/more often, and you wear the internal seals out faster in doing so.
I'll check them out, but I fabbed spring collars to raise the car back almost to stock height, so it's not really riding compressed.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Former Vendor
C1Forged will become famous soon enough
In that case you might be fine. However you're still riding around with a different spring rate than stock. Any other future plans for you're DB9?

Old 10-05-2016, 06:18 PM
In that case you might be fine. However you're still riding around with a different spring rate than stock. Any other future plans for you're DB9?
As little as it gets driven I don't think I'll have any major issues.

The only thing I've got on the books soon is adding a rear lip spoiler and maybe putting a wild wrap on it. I love the interior in this thing but I may redo it in a year or so as the previous owner didn't take care of the leather as well as I would like.

Then again I may do some crazy Bond themed stuff to it as well.... pneumatic machine guns in the fog lights, smoke screen, who knows!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Former Vendor
I would suggest looking into Matte or Satin Chrome. I know saying that, and or reading that might sound like an oxymoron, but it exists, and it is an extremely nice finish on a car. Has an almost frosted finish, with a matte or satin clear laminated over the chrome to give an amazing effect. I'm currently saving up to do it on my own display car.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:08 PM
I was actually thinking a matte green chrome similar to this.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:31 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
love my wrap, but i'll be honest in that i didn't realize just exactly how hard it would be to maintain. to be fair i've got a lighter color so if you go darker you may have better luck.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:32 PM
Former Vendor
Satin Chrome Green looks like this:

The green you posted isn't a matte chrome. That color looks more like a Gloss metallic green.

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
love my wrap, but i'll be honest in that i didn't realize just exactly how hard it would be to maintain. to be fair i've got a lighter color so if you go darker you may have better luck.
Depends more so on finish, than the color. My guess is matte?

Old 10-06-2016, 12:38 AM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Depends more so on finish, than the color. My guess is matte?
nope, gloss oracal 970ra.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Former Vendor
Thats odd, typically light colors don't show the scratches in the gloss vinyl. Matte is usually an issue as it tends to stain, especially with oils/grease and it will show a different sheen in places. Satin is the best, as it doesn't scratch as easily as gloss, and its sealed so it wont stain. You can also wax satin, like you can gloss.

For anyone that gets a gloss wrap, I highly recommend letting it sit for roughly 2 days outside in the sun so that the vinyl fully sets, and any peel back will have been apparent by that time. Then, get a professional detailer to Ceramic coat the entire car, to help prevent scratching in the future.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Thats odd, typically light colors don't show the scratches in the gloss vinyl. Matte is usually an issue as it tends to stain, especially with oils/grease and it will show a different sheen in places. Satin is the best, as it doesn't scratch as easily as gloss, and its sealed so it wont stain. You can also wax satin, like you can gloss.

For anyone that gets a gloss wrap, I highly recommend letting it sit for roughly 2 days outside in the sun so that the vinyl fully sets, and any peel back will have been apparent by that time. Then, get a professional detailer to Ceramic coat the entire car, to help prevent scratching in the future.
all great advice, and the only thing i didn't do was get it ceramic coated. with that said, i was very surprised at how easily it stains, i literally dripped 1 drop of gas on it, IMMEDIATELY wiped it off, and you can still see where it hit it. same goes for some road grease and oils, i have small yellow stains on the rear quarter panel from making a 4 hr road trip this weekend.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Former Vendor
I only use Avery Dennison when wrapping, with 3M on occasion. I've never used Oracal on a full vehicle, so I cannot say for sure the quality of their vinyl, however I know it is a cheaper option.

Suorce: I used to run a Vinyl wrapping shop for 2 years in SoCal before working for Concept One, and I still wrap on the side.

Last edited by C1Forged; 10-06-2016 at 04:10 PM.