Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Trunk/boot lid gas strut mounting point failure.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Wniimi has a spectacular aura aboutWniimi has a spectacular aura aboutWniimi has a spectacular aura about
Trunk/boot lid gas strut mounting point failure.

Yesterday, I decided to install new gas struts for the trunk lid of my 2006 Vantage V8. Upon inspecting the ball joint mounting points on the body of the car, both sides (left and right) were found to have separated from the body. It's an odd setup.

Has anyone encountered a similar failure? If so, is there a fix for this?

Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 AM
lenny1974 is on a distinguished road
Yes, you can buy a couple of mounting brackets from AM that you can attach to the body that provides additional support. It was quite straight forward and been working ok ever since. I'll see if I can dig out the part numbers.

Try not to lose the broken mounting piece into the bodywork.

If you need some guidance on how to fit, I can let you know how I did mine in detail if required.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Wniimi has a spectacular aura aboutWniimi has a spectacular aura aboutWniimi has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by lenny1974
Yes, you can buy a couple of mounting brackets from AM that you can attach to the body that provides additional support. It was quite straight forward and been working ok ever since. I'll see if I can dig out the part numbers.

Try not to lose the broken mounting piece into the bodywork.

If you need some guidance on how to fit, I can let you know how I did mine in detail if required.
Thanks lenny1974! Yes, part number and any instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Wayne

Old 06-20-2016, 07:51 AM
lenny1974 is on a distinguished road
Cant find part numbers, but search for Aston Martin Vantage Gas Strut Mounting clamps (Or just speak to an AM dealer).

In a nutshell, if the body mounting point is not broken, open the tailgate and support. Simply undo the lower gas strut mounting screw (think it's 13mm) move the lower strut out of the way and position the clamp plate over the existing body mount. Simply refit the screw and tighten. As the part name suggests, it simply clamps the body and plate together.

If the mounting point is broken, this is what I did. Open the tailgate and support. Remove the upper gas strut from the ball joint with flat head screw driver. Push the gas strut into the body to open up the broken mounting hole. Make sure it's dry and try and clean with a bit of white spirit. Mix up some jb weld steel stick and roll into a thin worm and push into gap. Pull the gas strut back into its original position and hold firmly in position until the steel putty has set (10-15 mins before you can leave it to set itself). Make sure you don't leave any jb weld protruding or when you fit the clamp plate, it won't it properly. If it isn't sitting flat you can file it gently without damaging the paint work. Once it's all set, unscrew the lower mounting point, position the clamp plate and retighten. Fit the gas strut to the upper ball joint and gently close tailgate. Give it a day before opening to ensure everything's set. Nice little job and you don't really notice the new clamp plates.

NOTE: IF THE MOUNTING POINT IS ALREADY BROKEN DO NOT UNSCREW THE LOWER GAS STRUT BALL JOINT AS IT COULD FALL INTO THE INSIDE OF THE BODYWORK NEVER TO BE FOUND AGAIN AND NO WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM WITHOUT POSSIBLY WELDING

Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Thanks again! I'll get it done and document it!👍

Old 06-20-2016, 08:38 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Old 06-20-2016, 09:21 PM
vegasvantage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lenny1974
Cant find part numbers, but search for Aston Martin Vantage Gas Strut Mounting clamps (Or just speak to an AM dealer). In a nutshell, if the body mounting point is not broken, open the tailgate and support. Simply undo the lower gas strut mounting screw (think it's 13mm) move the lower strut out of the way and position the clamp plate over the existing body mount. Simply refit the screw and tighten. As the part name suggests, it simply clamps the body and plate together. If the mounting point is broken, this is what I did. Open the tailgate and support. Remove the upper gas strut from the ball joint with flat head screw driver. Push the gas strut into the body to open up the broken mounting hole. Make sure it's dry and try and clean with a bit of white spirit. Mix up some jb weld steel stick and roll into a thin worm and push into gap. Pull the gas strut back into its original position and hold firmly in position until the steel putty has set (10-15 mins before you can leave it to set itself). Make sure you don't leave any jb weld protruding or when you fit the clamp plate, it won't it properly. If it isn't sitting flat you can file it gently without damaging the paint work. Once it's all set, unscrew the lower mounting point, position the clamp plate and retighten. Fit the gas strut to the upper ball joint and gently close tailgate. Give it a day before opening to ensure everything's set. Nice little job and you don't really notice the new clamp plates. NOTE: IF THE MOUNTING POINT IS ALREADY BROKEN DO NOT UNSCREW THE LOWER GAS STRUT BALL JOINT AS IT COULD FALL INTO THE INSIDE OF THE BODYWORK NEVER TO BE FOUND AGAIN AND NO WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM WITHOUT POSSIBLY WELDING
Lenny: Do you have any pictures of the clamp plate that you can share with us?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 PM
vegasvantage is on a distinguished road
Lenny: Do you have any pictures of the clamp plate that you can share with us?