Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

how good is V8V a/c in hot climates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 01:18 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
how good is V8V a/c in hot climates?

i know it seems like an odd question, but i'm very interested in a vantage, but i absolutely need very good a/c. i'm one of those lucky people that is always hot and i live in Dallas - double whammy. i'm looking at replacing a couple cars and one of the top priorities is an a/c system that would typically freeze the ordinary person. i'm hoping the smaller cabin will help matters and it would most certainly get the heaviest tint i can apply. any complaints from people in the warmer areas of the country?

Old 06-21-2016, 01:56 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
I am in Phoenix. My Vantage is not my daily driver but I do drive it on weekends. The few times I have had it out in 110 degrees or more it has performed flawlessly. The A/C blows very cold if I come out of a garage or covered parking. I do not leave my car in the sun for any length of time. I am not sure how well it would perform if the car was heat soaked for a few hours in the sun.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
I purchased my Vantage from Dallas (I live in Florida) two month ago.

None of my other cars A/C blows as cold like the Aston.
I'm not even out of the parking lot at work and the cabin is cool after a full day of baking in the sun.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
It's a rolling meat locker. You should be nice and cool.
CATTMAN

Old 06-21-2016, 02:41 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
wow!! i'm impressed and surprised. this is terrific to hear. old(er) porsches are not known for their a/c systems and for good reason. i prefer not to have an 'ordinary' dd while my 'fun' cars are parked/stored. i prefer to drive something enjoyable most of the time, so something of mine has to be driven in the summers here. instead of storing your cars in the winter, like most other locations, i pretty much store my cars in the summer. from your accounts, it certainly sounds like the vantage's a/c would be up to the task here in dallas. if skywagon can handle it in phoenix, it should be a piece of cake here. i've seen your temps as of late skywagon. airlines re-routing their planes from phoenix because the electronics can't handle temps over 120. iirc, you're in a stretch of 117, 117 and 115 or something. just brutal!!!

thanks again. very, very helpful.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:02 PM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, it is hot here... just hot. Thankfully it is also dry. That has been the issue for some local hikers though. You do not realize that you are dehydrated until it is too late for response teams to get to you. This past weekend several people died on trails around Phoenix. In humid climates you are sweating so you can recognize the issue. Here it evaporates incredibly quickly. And if anyone is going to be out in the sun for more than 15 minutes they need to wear sunscreen. Sunburns start happening in that short of time. In that situation I wear a vented long sleeve shirt to keep shade on my arms. Seems strange but it works better.

I will say that my Aston is parked this week. I do not want to learn that the car hates 115+ deg temps the hard way. I have covered parking at work so I do drive it in on occasion. I did so on a 110 deg day last week and it was cold after running for a minute. It would have taken longer out in the sun though.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:14 PM
AusTTin Bob is on a distinguished road
The AC in my 2007 V8V is adequate but not super chilly down here in Austin. Colder than my Miata, warmer than my Audi. I've only had the car a few weeks, so I don't know if it has always been like that. Mine could be a tad low on refrigerant or something for all I know - that seems likely considering the other comments on this thread.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:19 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I live in a place where we can see 40 C degrees in summer I feel the AC struggles to keep me cool compared to my Landrover, but the black inside and dark outside does not help.

I also find that when I get out of the Vantage there is a lot of heat coming from the engine bay vents compared to my other cars.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:41 PM
kaj
kaj is on a distinguished road
I'm in Houston and find the Vantage AC pretty good. Mine seems to be absolutely pissing water out the bottom on hot days recently though, anyone else get this???

Old 06-21-2016, 07:12 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kaj
I'm in Houston and find the Vantage AC pretty good. Mine seems to be absolutely pissing water out the bottom on hot days recently though, anyone else get this???
Condensation. It's because it's humid and hot.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:58 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kaj
The amount of water has to to do with Density altitude so more water does not mean its performing better or worse than say a AC in London during Devcember, Air density, like air pressure, decreases with increasing altitude. It also changes with variation in temperature or humidity.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
The amount of water has to to do with Density altitude so more water does not mean its performing better or worse than say a AC in London during Devcember, Air density, like air pressure, decreases with increasing altitude. It also changes with variation in temperature or humidity.
i was going to say the same exact thing...

Old 06-22-2016, 10:36 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I think the AC is 'good'... but driving west after 2PM in blazing FL summer sun... its a challenge.. I'd recommend a clear UV tint on the windshield.. I am probably going to do it.. there is just a 'lot' of laid back glass for the sun to cook thru. Back up plan if you need it.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:36 AM
so, with the later replies, this has become a bit murkier. still sounds like a good a/c system and hopefully up to the task. it would just be disappointing to move forward with a vantage purchase and then be stuck with an insufficient a/c unit. i really need to live in a cooler climate!!

Old 06-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I don't live in a particularly hot climate but I think the A/C in my Vantage is perfectly fine. Not quite as cold as my BMW, but better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. And certainly better than the pathetic A/C in my Ferrari. A few days ago I had the Vantage at a car show, sitting out all day in the sun, temps were low 90's and humid, and the A/C cooled off the interior of the car very quickly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how good is V8V a/c in hot climates?