Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

how good is V8V a/c in hot climates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
I don't live in a particularly hot climate but I think the A/C in my Vantage is perfectly fine. Not quite as cold as my BMW, but better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. And certainly better than the pathetic A/C in my Ferrari. A few days ago I had the Vantage at a car show, sitting out all day in the sun, temps were low 90's and humid, and the A/C cooled off the interior of the car very quickly.
thanks for the comments, jeff.

i see you're a GTO owner. hardtop or convertible? i come from a bit of a GTO family and have had a '67 convertible, as did my dad when i was young. i almost bought the identical GTO that my family owned, but after traveling all the way to NJ to take a look, it was somewhat misrepresented at a $60k asking. it was a very hard to find combo of linden green convertible, black top, black interior, 4 speed car. the one i looked at was even rarer though, as it was also an HO motor. it was hard to pass on it, but i had to.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:58 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
I think the AC is 'good'... but driving west after 2PM in blazing FL summer sun... its a challenge.. I'd recommend a clear UV tint on the windshield.. I am probably going to do it.. there is just a 'lot' of laid back glass for the sun to cook thru. Back up plan if you need it.
i completely agree with you that a UV tint for the windshield would be a very good step. i will certainly have all other windows done, if not done already (depending on where the car comes from). i will really need to maximize the coverage on the windows to help the a/c work at it's optimum. the sun here is just so damn strong. thanks for your thoughts.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by C4Sbeebe
i see you're a GTO owner
Yes, I have a '67 hardtop. It's not quite stock and not quite a restomod. It's originally a 335hp 4-speed car. Now has a non-numbers matching '67 GTO HO block, bored .040 over and stroked 1/2" for 463 cubes. Kauffman D-port aluminum heads, big Comp hydraulic roller cam, and an original '66 Tri-Power intake and carbs. Also a Tremec TKO600 5-speed and Moser Engineering 12-bolt rear axle. Runs 12.0's @ 117-118 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not bad for 4,000 lbs.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-25_15-19-20_809.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	834.5 KB
ID:	451709  
Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2016, 02:22 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
The AC is okay, when its like 90F -100F in the sun while driving, I usually have the AC on at low and cranked at ~80% of the max to keep a comfortable driving temp on the inside

Old 06-22-2016, 02:33 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
Yes, I have a '67 hardtop. It's not quite stock and not quite a restomod. It's originally a 335hp 4-speed car. Now has a non-numbers matching '67 GTO HO block, bored .040 over and stroked 1/2" for 463 cubes. Kauffman D-port aluminum heads, big Comp hydraulic roller cam, and an original '66 Tri-Power intake and carbs. Also a Tremec TKO600 5-speed and Moser Engineering 12-bolt rear axle. Runs 12.0's @ 117-118 mph in the 1/4 mile. Not bad for 4,000 lbs.

what a beautiful car, I love the engine bay

Old 06-23-2016, 01:33 AM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
so, with the later replies, this has become a bit murkier. still sounds like a good a/c system and hopefully up to the task. it would just be disappointing to move forward with a vantage purchase and then be stuck with an insufficient a/c unit. i really need to live in a cooler climate!!
C4S I live in Plano as well and can take you for a ride if you like... The AC is just average in mine. If the car is left outside for 30 mins in the sun when I'm at the store, etc. it takes quite a while to get cold. The front windshield is very long and sloping, lots of sun coming in... That being said, I have a roadster with a black top, I would guess the coupe is better. I do not drive the AM too often during the day in the summer, definitely no top down. But in evening the AC works great and top comes down at night.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
The A/C in my 2007 is very good. In th San Fernando Valley just outside of Los Angeles where I used to live for most of my life up until till six months ago. The A/C on a hot day of over 100 with low humidity will cool the car down in short order. I set the A/C to auto and recirculate at around 68.
Ron

Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
The A/C in my 2007 is very good. In th San Fernando Valley just outside of Los Angeles where I used to live for most of my life up until till six months ago. The A/C on a hot day of over 100 with low humidity will cool the car down in short order. I set the A/C to auto and recirculate at around 68.
Ron
Wow.. I can't do 68 in my Aston. if I set the AC to Auto and turn the temp below 73 my nose starts freezing up.

Moving the vent to the top circulates and freezes my neck.

Not sure if my AC is out of the norm but even the amount of air coming out of the vents is not to compare with my Porsche or BMW's.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:12 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Us with the mediocore AC probably need a recharge or something

Old 06-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by jmargolese
C4S I live in Plano as well and can take you for a ride if you like... The AC is just average in mine.
very nice offer, jmargolese. i might take you up on that. i'm in west plano, near park and the tollway. not only interested in the a/c, but i'd love to hear the exhaust you have on that. any thoughts/specs on that ecu upgrade you have also?

Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 AM
agreed, mk. sounds like a good, charged system is able to cool even under some difficult situations. my guess is with the proper window tint (including something for the windshield), i shouldn't have too much trouble staying cool here in dallas. thanks again for the info.

ron and zettinger, thanks for your replies too. it's good to hear you actually can't leave your a/c on 68 and be comfortable. that would likely mean that i would be comfortable under the same conditions. it's strange, my body's normal temp is around 97 degrees even - been like that forever. i'm hot under most conditions - kind of a drag.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM
jerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nicejerhofer is just really nice
It has been very hot and humid here in the Charlotte area recently. The Vantage's AC works great, even for someone like me who is always warm.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:25 PM
jmargolese will become famous soon enoughjmargolese will become famous soon enough
very nice offer, jmargolese. i might take you up on that. i'm in west plano, near park and the tollway. not only interested in the a/c, but i'd love to hear the exhaust you have on that. any thoughts/specs on that ecu upgrade you have also?
I'm in castle hills about two miles down the road. I also work at the tollway and Tennyson, when I'm home...

I actually just installed the ecu tune tonight from Stu, car feels more torque for sure and more responsive. It will need a better break in for real results. I've had the headers, exhaust and cats for years, the sound is simply amazing. Car nuts see the Aston and love it, they hear it and they are blown away. Twin plate clutch is up next...