Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Who has experience with re-flashing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Who has experience with re-flashing?

So I've posted about the failure of my DB9's Convertible Roof Module and my installation of a new module...
1) After installation, everything worked except the roof. I expected that, as most people said I would need a re-flash.
2) I drove to the dealer where the technician performed a re-flash. I paid $170.
3) Stupidly, I didn't try the roof until I got home. When I did, it didn't work.
4) I replaced the new unit with the old CRM, and the roof DID work (I wasn't surprised, as the failure was an intermittent fault).
5) I reinstalled the new CRM, and it still didn't work.
6) The dealer's service advisor said that the technician told him the re-flash registered properly, but he never tried the roof to see if it worked.
7) I now have to drive 3.5 hours back to the dealer. The service advisor says that he'll try the re-flash again, but if it doesn't work the next time anything else is on me.
How can I have confidence that the re-flash is being performed correctly? Is there a computer print-out that shows status that I can ask for? I feel that as the old unit worked but the new one didn't, then the new one was not successfully programmed, and if it wasn't done right the first time, then I don't know why I should be confident that they'd get it right the next time.
I feel a bit helpless here. Any suggestions?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
The top won't work if the windows aren't programmed. The old module could have the window calibration saved thus not requiring it. The new module could have that area still blank waiting for the calibration.

Do a window calibration and see if it helps(all the way up and all the way down for both doors, if you do a search, the calibration is explained on various posts), worst case your back at needing to visit the dealer to sort it out.

The only real way to verify it's flashed and done beyond ones word...stand next to the tech and watch with your eyes... blunt but true. Some shops it's against code and others don't mind at all.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:59 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, Irish.
I re-set the windows when I first discovered that the roof didn't work. I figured that as the roof opening/closing process lowers and raises the windows, then the window position would be part of the logic.
When I go back I'll ensure that the tech does that before releasing the car.
I appreciate the expertise you bring to this forum!