Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Is there a working O2 simulator solution for V8 cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:45 AM
Smoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud of
Is there a working O2 simulator solution for V8 cars?

My car has Velocity AP 200 cell cats. Once every few drives I see the cel. No impact to performance but it's consistent and annoying enough to see the dash light up. I like the sound of the cats and exits though and would prefer to explore an O2 simulator solution vs reinstalling the oem cats.

Are there any offerings or previous experience with O2 sims on the V8 cars? I've searched and found a few threads from way back in 2011 of folks cracking the ECU and thought maybe there is a reflash solution where I can get more hp AND "turn off" or spoof O2 in the code. I had a Viper ACR with Mopar ECU that did this so you could run headers and race cats without cel issues.

Any hardware or software solutions? Or does using a 200 cat just translate to carrying a code cleaner in the glove box?

Old 07-17-2016, 09:55 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
A tune should be able to eliminate those.

Another option is to use a spacer to put the o2 sensor away from the exhaust stream, but it's a pretty tight fit in there and I don't know how practical that'd be. Tune is a better solution all around.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:00 AM
Smoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud ofSmoky has much to be proud of
It has spacers already as I understand it. When you say tune do you mean like an rsc reflash or the handheld tuner from vcollection , or do you mean taking it in to a shop for live tuning ?

Thanks

Old 07-17-2016, 10:49 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
A tune that reflashes the computer, from RSC, VelocityAP, Fabspeed, etc, or a shop might be able to do it (but wouldn't trust one that doesn't have a lot of experience).

Old 07-17-2016, 11:02 AM
OK. I wasn't aware the reflashes sorted the o2 issue. Does it just ignore o2 codes at that point? Will ask around more Monday.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I have 200 cell cats and was getting CELs, I replaced the 2 post-cat O2 sensors and that solved the problem. Didn't have to use spacers. 2000 miles of driving since then with no more CELs.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 PM
that's on the plate .... Was hoping that could fix the issue too. But then I started thinking if I'm going to replace, why not put in simulators but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Yes, eurocharged has already done the tunes with O2 secondaries "coded out" for one of their customers that was running an aggressive setup with headers and etc.

Coding them out is much better than just getting O2 spacers (which is more of a bandaid solution)

Shoot them an email I am sure they can help out

Old 07-17-2016, 07:33 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Smoky
OK. I wasn't aware the reflashes sorted the o2 issue. Does it just ignore o2 codes at that point? Will ask around more Monday.
Yes, they are coded out, it's much better and cost effective solution than buying expensive simulators. Getting o2 sensors coded out costs no more an a regular ecu tune, it's a free option so it is a great excuse to upgrade your factory tune (which honestly runs way too rich anyways and causes more damage over time than an aftermarket tune)

Old 07-17-2016, 08:01 PM
Excellent! I like EC. I'll drop them a line tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:30 AM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Stuart at VelocityAP incorporated that functionality into a tune he built for me. My CEL's were the P0420/P0430 caused by an early batch of non-VelocityAP 200-cell catalysts.

No CEL's since loading the tune over a year ago. Awesome tune, and even better than the those available just a few years ago.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:32 AM
Can anyone report a significant difference between the different vendor tunes?

What about programmers like the one vcollection sells? Are those junk or legit? I like the idea of loading my own flash and having control over the hardware (ie. feels more like I own something and am not just shipping my ECU back and forth).

Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 AM
superuser is on a distinguished road
I actually just made a post on my VelocityAP tune. It's cool hardware/software and you can load multiple maps based on the mods and tunes you want.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Smoky
Can anyone report a significant difference between the different vendor tunes?

What about programmers like the one vcollection sells? Are those junk or legit? I like the idea of loading my own flash and having control over the hardware (ie. feels more like I own something and am not just shipping my ECU back and forth).
I had OE Tuning for a while. It was uploaded to my car by a local shop. Great tune, but it did nothing to address CELs from my 200-cell cats.

Switched to the VelocityAP tune. Comes with a hand-held module that allows you to download/upload tunes yourself. You download your tune, email it to VAP, and they rewrite it and send it back, and you upload it onto your car. About a 24-hour turnaround time. Nice thing is that you've got both your original tune and the VAP tune, so you can swap between them as needed. I had them dial out the cat-related CELs and delete the EGR (Stuart provided the hardware for deletion).

Old 07-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I also have the VelocityAP tune, I think they may have coded out the O2 CELs but I didn't have any CELs before then anyway after replacing my O2 sensors.

Stuart gave me a couple different tune files that I can swap out easily depending on what I need that day. Quick and easy. Highly recommended.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is there a working O2 simulator solution for V8 cars?