Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

First Time Polishing the Vantage Myself

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by programmatore
I'm dropping the car off at the dealership tomorrow morning for service. I really wish the dealership would do a better job washing cars but they don't. So to prevent them from putting swirl marks on the paint and undoing all the work I did, I printed out a custom hang tag for the rear view mirror. Do you think my OCD is acting up?

Attachment 455817

Absolutely NOT!!!!! Detailed Image sells hangers that specifically say that. There are stickers you can get for the door sills that say its been specifically coated with something and to not do any paint work.

Specifically state when you drop it off that you do NOT want them to touch the car at all. Nothing other than the work, and I even provide large Microfiber cloths for them to lay on the paintwork to mechanic things. They say their AM panel covers have felt or MF under them to prevent scratching, however think of it this way. Your car might be dirty or the previous one before it was---- they used the covers on that car, now putting on yours and moving it around while leaning on it. That sand bit that is stuck, is now scratching the paint a bit and ruining your work. SO, take nothing for granted, and make them take care on the vehicle. I always take pics close up in the sun on panels near the working area to show no marks, then have them work the vehicle, then look at those areas. I found marks on my AMG all over a fender. Needless to say, that service was free, after some back and forth.

They will claim dumb, offer to have their old school detailers fix it, and not understand what a Paint Correction really means. Most people do not know that process. I have NEVER seen a dealer know what it is.

I plan to, when I return to the states in 17', to get with @Telum01 and arrange a detailing class for 1-2 days so people can see and actually do something to their own cars. I would like to work that into the picture at AM of DC and have it open to exotics in general, or just AM Plan to see a no cost deal, with the dealer possibly offering specials for service so there is something in it for them. BUT...... there are options to have Larry from AMMONYC come in and teach, but not sure what that cost might be if possible. That's a long way off for me, but its in my thoughts, I like helping other owners, now that I have settled my thoughts for purchasing a members car, I will likely need help myself for figuring parts out for modding.

Sheriff

Last edited by SheriffDep; 08-10-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Might be a little difficult to get a dealership to host a DIY class since they offer that service.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by telum01
Might be a little difficult to get a dealership to host a DIY class since they offer that service.
Agreed, however A Good Idea Fairy had landed for the thought.

My thoughts on benefit to dealer:
Either a dealer could look at it for a possible increase in a service, new customer base for services, or offer a discount for a service to anyone who attends. Any of those would be a plus for them, and not cost them a dime in the process. But......

I have never seen a dealer who knows anything about a Paint Correction. They do offer detailing (wash, old school guy runs a high speed buffer over the paint installing holograms in it, then applies a standard wholesale sealant such as Meguires Yellow wax, then calls it a day)

Last time I was at the DC Ferrari/Maserati/Lambo dealer I watched and cringed when a Huracan and a Aventador were washed using an old terry cloth rag, and one of those green bristle brushes. I had talked with the GM that day and mentioned a possible class and he was definitely interested in the thought. But I ended up moving soon thereafter.

So again a thought to help owners, but either scratch the idea or new venue when that time comes. Its a ways off.