Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston martin - Curbs and scrape guard questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Matt2364 is an unknown quantity at this point
Aston martin - Curbs and scrape guard questions

Hey guys,

I have avoided every curb or incline thus far and have not scraped anything yet (fingers crossed). My question is if anyone knows if standard driveway curbs like the image below handled normally. Obviously not straight on but at an angle like you would normally pull in. I know a lot of these have different grades etc but just in general has anyone had issues with these at stock vantage height?

I was kind of tossing around the idea of buying something like this to keep in the trunk just in case I end up in a jam and encounter something I don't think the clearance will handle.

I know there are much lower cars out there but this is the lowest car I have ever owned so just trying to avoid any scrapes without having to test the limits. I am probably being extra paranoid but figured you all would be the ones to ask as usual.

Also, has anyone installed this chin splitter from theVcollection and have an opinion on it?
https://www.vcollection.com/products.../Chin_Splitter

Last edited by Matt2364; 08-04-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:42 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Chin splitter (dot) com is the guy who manufactures them. It maybe cheaper.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:36 PM
8SpeedDon is on a distinguished road
I'm looking into http://www.bridjit.com/. I wish I could find a cheaper solution for my rolled curb into my driveway.

Last edited by telum01; 08-04-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Chin splitter (dot) com is the guy who manufactures them. It maybe cheaper.
Thank you so much, that is fantastic. $350 cheaper than the VCollection. I was struggling at the thought of $1k for the chin splitter but $650 is getting close to a reasonable level.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:29 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Matt2364
Thank you so much, that is fantastic. $350 cheaper than the VCollection. I was struggling at the thought of $1k for the chin splitter but $650 is getting close to a reasonable level.
Waaaay too much for what it is. I've got a plastic/vinyl (1/4") one for $250 for my DB9. I don't think the guy that makes them has one for a v12/v8 Vantage, however.

If it was me, I'd make a pattern and make my own out of a 1/4" plywood (or thinner) and just paint it black. It'll be cheap and you'll never notice it. Plus if it gets torn up, you'll have the pattern to just make another.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:39 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Waaaay too much for what it is. I've got a plastic/vinyl (1/4") one for $250 for my DB9. I don't think the guy that makes them has one for a v12/v8 Vantage, however.

If it was me, I'd make a pattern and make my own out of a 1/4" plywood (or thinner) and just paint it black. It'll be cheap and you'll never notice it. Plus if it gets torn up, you'll have the pattern to just make another.

I just checked out the chinsplitter website and it's a nice quality aluminum piece, cut out with a water jet and powder coated black. I agree with you though.. Too bad. Seems like he's just priced these a little bit steep. I'd be a buyer at $350ish for my DBS..certainly not at nearly $700 after shipping.

I've got the eBay plastic skid plate on my DB9 and it does the job just great for less than $200 I believe.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:42 PM
I think I am going to bite the bullet and go ahead and pick one of these up.

I called and spoke to the owner of chinsplitter.com and he was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You do have to drill holes directly into the carbon fiber splitter so that is a little nerve racking but it seems pretty simple after watching the video.

The splitters are made out of aluminum and are less than 1/8th" thick he said. The splitters are made very thin so they can flex with the bumper. Anything thicker he said have resulted in the splitter cracking during their product testing and development. He worked directly with an Aston Martin dealer on creating this product.

He directed me to some Youtube videos you can see below of a sample install on a Vanquish:

I will post some pictures once I get it installed.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Aston22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just need on dxf file and boom your making your own for about $60 in material and I could have it powder coated for $75. That's Canadian dollars as well. So cheap cheap. I'm going to start measuring the radius here tonight and get a prototype cut.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:53 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Aston22, do you have your own waterjet cutter??

Old 08-09-2016, 07:47 PM
Nope but I have access to one.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aston22
Just need on dxf file and boom your making your own for about $60 in material and I could have it powder coated for $75. That's Canadian dollars as well. So cheap cheap. I'm going to start measuring the radius here tonight and get a prototype cut.
I'd be a buyer!
CATTMAN

Old 08-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Didnt get to the measurements yet but hopefully this week. It will be a little trial and error. But Im looking at doing a Hand formed Aluminum front spliter and rear diffuser. Looking for something different.