Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Db9 Lowering Questions--How bad do they scrape

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Db9 Lowering Questions--How bad do they scrape

I am considering lowering a 05' DB9 before I actually get the car. I want it sorted out before coming home from Afghanistan. However a few people warned about scraping issues. I hate the gap above the tires but now I am worried.

I know most have done the Vantages, while its not a direct comparison, it might not be far off, other than the nose of the DB being longer and more prone to scraping.

1. Using Vap lowering Springs has anyone had any issues with scraping?
2. I understand there are many weird curbs and inclines that could scrape even a factory car, what I am wondering is how much of a pain under normal circumstances is a lowered car.
3. H/R lowering springs are even lower, so those owners I would love to hear from and see what they experience.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Old 08-26-2016, 06:46 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I am considering lowering a 05' DB9 before I actually get the car. I want it sorted out before coming home from Afghanistan. However a few people warned about scraping issues. I hate the gap above the tires but now I am worried.

I know most have done the Vantages, while its not a direct comparison, it might not be far off, other than the nose of the DB being longer and more prone to scraping.

1. Using Vap lowering Springs has anyone had any issues with scraping?
2. I understand there are many weird curbs and inclines that could scrape even a factory car, what I am wondering is how much of a pain under normal circumstances is a lowered car.
3. H/R lowering springs are even lower, so those owners I would love to hear from and see what they experience.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Could try some taller tires on the old wheels? Just to see?

Old 08-26-2016, 07:11 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
bad idea

Old 08-26-2016, 09:51 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
I got a db9 with sports pack. And it scrapes over bumps. Always have to be careful how to approach speed bumps. But the sports pack shocks are 1/2 inch lower then regular db9 shocks.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:28 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by skeena river rove
I got a db9 with sports pack. And it scrapes over bumps. Always have to be careful how to approach speed bumps. But the sports pack shocks are 1/2 inch lower then regular db9 shocks.
The Velocity springs lower them .75in and I don't or wont have the sport pack suspension. I do know the car has upgraded 09 Bilstien shocks and springs now.

I hate the gap in the wheel wells that bad, but do need to worry about my driveway at home. I don't run into hardly any speedbumps at this time, however the driveway does have the curb then slopes upward. Not bad, but still might be tricky. My issue is once I get back, the car wont be around any experts who can fit the new springs if I desired them. So obviously I am worried if I get them. However, not a ton of people complaining about Vantage lowering on here from what I have seen and they seem to be ok. It would surprise me if the Vantages were any lower or higher after the Velocity springs. Just some thoughts.......

Old 08-27-2016, 06:27 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I have a stock '06 DB9 and an upward sloping driveway. I have to angle in & out, otherwise I'm guaranteed to scrape. DB9 has a long, low nose.

Speed bumps aren't usually a problem if I approach slowly, but I've grounded (between the f/r wheels) on a couple of big ones when I didn't manage the "bounce" properly. Aprons across sidewalks can also be an issue if I'm not going dead slow.

I've got 245/285 tires which are about 1/2 taller than the standard 235/275 setup.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 AM
W126C will become famous soon enough
I got a db9 with sports pack. And it scrapes over bumps. Always have to be careful how to approach speed bumps.

I wholeheartedly concur.

Regards,

Old 08-27-2016, 09:09 PM
skeena river rove is on a distinguished road
The big difference between the DB9 and Vantage is what YVR stated. The DB9 has a lot more overhang/ long low nose.

I would drive the original one for a while to see how you like it. You can always lower the db9 at a later point in life,

Old 08-28-2016, 04:18 AM
The big difference between the DB9 and Vantage is what YVR stated. The DB9 has a lot more overhang/ long low nose.

I would drive the original one for a while to see how you like it. You can always lower the db9 at a later point in life,
I think I have decided to keep it factory for now. My issue is that I am based in Afghanistan for the next year or so. I will only have a month to enjoy the car before I go back to AFG. So its getting sorted out before that month, and I wanted it perfect. But...... going by the advise of the owner (forum member), and all you guys I will wait to see how I feel.

Thanks for the advice, I am sure there will be more asking.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I think I have decided to keep it factory for now. My issue is that I am based in Afghanistan for the next year or so. I will only have a month to enjoy the car before I go back to AFG. So its getting sorted out before that month, and I wanted it perfect. But...... going by the advise of the owner (forum member), and all you guys I will wait to see how I feel.

Thanks for the advice, I am sure there will be more asking.
Be safe over there dude!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
Be safe over there dude!
Thanks and will stay safe as possible, just wish the temps would fall below 100 for a change. Will be nice to see lower temps in Dec when I get home for a month. But driving a AM for that month I am looking very much forward too.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 AM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
I'm excited for you to have some fun in your 9 when you get home.

The nose is longer than you think, and to be extra safe be wary of slopes & driveways & dips. Better to angle slowly when not needed than vice versa. Backing in to spaces is also recommended until you get the spacial awareness of the nose....if you must pull in head first, better to stop & check than to risk it. I think of the length like driving in the backseat of a normal car.

I'm a big fan of the skid plate as protection...and imagine that's of more importance when lowered. Check out the thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/325684-frnt-bumper-protection.html

Let us know you're thoughts when you get back. We appreciate ya!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by mfrankel
I'm excited for you to have some fun in your 9 when you get home.

The nose is longer than you think, and to be extra safe be wary of slopes & driveways & dips. Better to angle slowly when not needed than vice versa. Backing in to spaces is also recommended until you get the spacial awareness of the nose....if you must pull in head first, better to stop & check than to risk it. I think of the length like driving in the backseat of a normal car.

I'm a big fan of the skid plate as protection...and imagine that's of more importance when lowered. Check out the thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/325684-frnt-bumper-protection.html

Let us know you're thoughts when you get back. We appreciate ya!

I am working on TELUM01 doing a thread covering everything from the truck dropping the vehicle off to him in Oct, to each modification he will be doing to it. That way I can follow along and enjoy the pictures as much as possible. Will stay active on here for sure. Much to be done before I get back. Just got the Insurance for it today. So I guess I am a AM owner now, maybe, kinda sorta. Not sure when you can say that since I am not there. Maybe its when you cut the first check for it. Anyway, will keep the bad guys tied up over here. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ons/icon10.gif