Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Car not level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Ktw
Ktw is an unknown quantity at this point
Car not level

After having my 2007 AM V8V for just over a week, I noticed that looking at the rear of the car, it is lower on the right side. I measured from the ground to the fender well on each side and the right side is about 1 inch lower. My garage floor is level, tires are the same wear and inflated the same.
Anybody have any ideas on this?
Thanks.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:53 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Shocks going bad or someone did a really bad job of lowering or suspension issue.

Is it just the right rear that is lower or is the front right also lower, the more info you give , the better the answers.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:18 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Can't be shock, but could be a broken spring.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Ktw
It's just the right rear that is lower by 3/4 inch from the left rear. The front is level, the same distance from the ground on both sides. Car has 22k miles, no noises or anomalies from the rear end. I'm going to get underneath right now and take a look for anything obvious. I just wanted to find out if there were any idiosyncrasies with the V8V rear ends that I should be aware of.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:04 PM
Ktw
It's a mystery. Everything looks perfect under there. I compared the right side with the left side, I couldn't see anything out of place so I can only assume it's a weak spring or shock.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:26 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
Are you really sure your garage floor is 100% leveled?

Old 09-08-2016, 06:42 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
I've read about Astons breaking a spring at the very bottom. Very hard to see unless you take the wheels off.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:32 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Ktw

I have noticed the same ride height discrepancy and even seen new ones on the show room floor with this. Others think I am crazy as well. I would take it to your local dealer and see what they say. Keep me posted

Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 AM
Ktw
Thanks Montana107, that makes me feel a little better. I checked everything again and all looked perfect underneath. I have to conclude that it's probably a weak spring but I wasn't willing to bet the huge price to replace the shocks if my hunch was wrong. In the beginning, the level was off by a little more than 3/4 of an inch which is huge to my eye. I ended up using coil boosters to raise it up and now it's perfectly level! I know the purists will cringe at that prospect but I've used them before on other cars with no problems. I have driven the AM and haven't noticed any difference in ride or handling. No doubt someday I'll upgrade the shocks and will test my hypothesis but until then I can live with my level V8V.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ktw
Thanks Montana107, that makes me feel a little better. I checked everything again and all looked perfect underneath. I have to conclude that it's probably a weak spring but I wasn't willing to bet the huge price to replace the shocks if my hunch was wrong. In the beginning, the level was off by a little more than 3/4 of an inch which is huge to my eye. I ended up using coil boosters to raise it up and now it's perfectly level! I know the purists will cringe at that prospect but I've used them before on other cars with no problems. I have driven the AM and haven't noticed any difference in ride or handling. No doubt someday I'll upgrade the shocks and will test my hypothesis but until then I can live with my level V8V.
I have a set of H&R springs for a V8 Vantage Coupe if you are interested

Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
First, looking at the rear of my DB9, the left side appears ever so slightly lower.

Second, I don't have the factory workshop manuals so I don't know if AM has specific points underneath the car to set the ride height.

Third, my knowledge comes from the Porsche 928. There are points under the car that are used to set the ride height. Many people make the mistake of measuring from the wheel well and assume that will level the car. When I set mine up I was 3mm front side to side and 5mm rear side to side. After all that, the gap of the left front fender well looked larger than the right, though just slightly. Also the measurements from left to right side, from the ground to the top of the wheels well were different. About one inch if I recall.

So the bottom line is the body may not be setting on the frame level and the suspension is actually spot on. Again this applies to the 928 and may not be applicable to AM. But it would be interesting to find some stationary frame points and measure from there left to right.

Regards,

Old 09-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Ktw
I had several cars in the past parked in the same spot in my garage and have never noticed any of them leaning. The AM was so obviously low on the right rear I actually thought I had a flat tire. I didn't recognize any kind of adjustments upon inspection. Measuring from the ground to the wheel well might not be the perfect way to judge the condition of the body mounts/suspension but it certainly is a good way to make sure the cars looks like it's sitting level. Mine is 28 1/2 inches from ground to wheel well both sides, spot on and it sits dead level to the eye now. I admit it was s fast $14 fix so please don't be tempted to throw the $200k car/cheap repair routine at me. To each his own I guess.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:38 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Ktw, I wasn't being critical and have no issues with your resolve. Just offering another way to check the ride height.

Regards,

Old 09-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Ktw
Originally Posted by W126C
Ktw, I wasn't being critical and have no issues with your resolve. Just offering another way to check the ride height.

Regards,
That's cool, no offense taken.