Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12V Track Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 08:33 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
V12V Track Experience

I was finally able to get my car on the track, overall the car performed great for being completely stock (minus an x-pipe in place of the secondary cats). I left it track mode and took it easy on the higher speed corners just to be safe. Track mode is really nice, very unobtrusive. The car has mild understeer which is to be expected from any car with factory alignment settings but you can turn the car using the throttle and balance it out pretty easily. A bit more negative camber up front should get rid of the understeer.

Brakes are phenomenal, not a single bit of fade throughout four 30 minute sessions and very consistent feel. However, the front pads didn't fare so well. They're pretty much gone, wish I would have taken before and after photos for proof but the pads had plenty of thickness before the day began.

I ran into one issue towards the end of my second session, the car lost power, revs were limited to ~3200rpm, and I got a fuel system error message. I slowly made my way back to the pits and gave the car a quick check, I couldn't find any issue so I let it sit through lunch and started it back up, issue was gone. I'm not sure what caused it, it was a hot day but during my second session it was only 84, it was in the mid-upper 90s for my third and fourth sessions and I didn't have any issues. Engine temp never moved but maybe some sensor got a little hot for some reason.

Anyways, the car is a total blast on track...I said I'd only track this car once but I might have to amend that statement. I'll post a link from an onboard video, sorry the quality is so bad. If I take it out again I'll figure out a better place to mount it.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
Nice to see them used as they should be!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 PM
smdzucladoc is on a distinguished road
Nice. Thunderhill? Hard to see with the exposure but looks familiar. Were you on stock pads? I am considering porterfield R4 like telum suggests if I bring mine to the track n

Old 09-27-2016, 10:28 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
Originally Posted by smdzucladoc
Nice. Thunderhill? Hard to see with the exposure but looks familiar. Were you on stock pads? I am considering porterfield R4 like telum suggests if I bring mine to the track n
Yep, thunderhill...I was running the stock pads and fluid.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:50 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Too cool! Love the camera position, shows both you and your line. Only downside is the cord running side to side in turns, and the view being bleached out when the sun hits at certain points, but not sure what to do about that. Loooove the sound of the V12!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:36 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Four Vantages at Thunderhill

Three V8's and one V12 - despite it being hotter than expected, we all enjoyed the day.
Thanks for posting the video, even though I didn't see you passing me, which happened on a regular basis.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
Too cool! Love the camera position, shows both you and your line. Only downside is the cord running side to side in turns, and the view being bleached out when the sun hits at certain points, but not sure what to do about that. Loooove the sound of the V12!
Thanks! Yes, hard to review my lines when the sun bleaches out the view for half a lap haha.

Originally Posted by DonL
Three V8's and one V12 - despite it being hotter than expected, we all enjoyed the day.
Thanks for posting the video, even though I didn't see you passing me, which happened on a regular basis.
It was great to see all the Astons out on track and to meet the fellow owners!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Too much fun! Thanks for posting!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:04 AM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Wish I could have made it. Hopefully next time! Thunderhill is a great track.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:17 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
I couldn't make it last year but isn't there an Aston event there in January?

Old 10-01-2016, 07:28 AM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Old phart
I couldn't make it last year but isn't there an Aston event there in January?
AMOC Section West usually holds their track day at Thunderhill in January.
Mondays event was a "private" track day by invitation...about 25 vehicles in two run groups.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Just for the record, new pads (fronts only) cost a little over $1500...ouch! I knew CCM rotors were expensive but I guess the pads are pricey too. Switching over to steel rotors would pay off within a few track days just due to the price of pads.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:53 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC, there are aftermarket pads that can be had for a LOT less.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:19 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
IIRC, there are aftermarket pads that can be had for a LOT less.
Besides Pagid? Shed some light, please.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:57 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
It'll take me a while to find the threads, but I do remember discussion on pads for Brembos as used on CCM-equipped Vettes and such, being the same setup as Aston.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12V Track Experience