Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Start up after sitting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 PM
seastu is on a distinguished road
Start up after sitting

Just wondering how many days folks let their Aston sit before using the hold the accelerator to the floor method and wait for the oil pressure light to go out procedure. It's an easy process and seems to make sense when the car sits for a week or so.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:00 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
For me I was thinking a few weeks but than again it never sits that long in my garage...:-)

Old 10-03-2016, 06:40 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I do it if its been sitting for more than 1 month, so pretty much after winter or during months where I'm busy and its raining a lot

Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
For me it would probably be a couple of months. Engine oils today are so much better than they were years ago.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:16 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I do it the first time I start the car the day I drive it. Every single first start of the day. I got used to doing that with my Porsche, and it was not as simple with that car.

Last edited by deckman; 10-03-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Can someone expand on this as its new to me and I don't understand it? Thanks.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dalecannavan
Can someone expand on this as its new to me and I don't understand it? Thanks.
No lubrication (oil pressure), on a cold start-up, may increase wear on the engine internals after the vehicle has sat for an "extended" period of time.
Cranking the engine with the gas pedal pushed to the floor allows the oil pressure to build up to "normal" pressures allowing lubrication to the engine internals before starting, thus theoretically reducing engine wear on the subsequent cold start-up.
I personally, don't use the technique unless I haven't driven the car for months on end (not likely in CA).
It boils down on how often you drive your car...
Anyhow, as posted earlier, modern lubricants are quite superior to those used years ago...
YMMV.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:40 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
This only works on cars with a Ford ECU. Later cars will fire up at full throttle.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:14 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Mine's a 2013. How much later than that does it stop working?

My opinion is it certainly won't hurt your engine by doing this at each cold start, and it may reduce wear. So why not do it each time?

Last edited by deckman; 10-04-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:35 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by deckman
Mine's a 2013. How much later than that does it stop working?
Check your owners manual...

Originally Posted by deckman
My opinion is it certainly won't hurt your engine by doing this at each cold start, and it may reduce wear. So why not do it each time?
You run the risk of premature replacement of your starter motor.
Cranking to build oil pressure is about 10-20 times longer than needed to start the engine.
Again, to each his own...

Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM
My owners manual is for my 2013. I already know it works for that MY. YVR said it doesn't work on later models so I was wondering when they stopped it.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:11 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
The V12 cars with variable valve timing switched to a Bosch ECU, so DB9.2, V12VS, Vanquish.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:14 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Certainly works on my 2014 V8V

Old 10-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by yvr
The V12 cars with variable valve timing switched to a Bosch ECU, so DB9.2, V12VS, Vanquish.
Thanks for the clarification...

Old 10-06-2016, 07:36 AM
^^ +1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Start up after sitting