Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Pics from my DB11 test drive ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I was told that the next Vantage looks like the current one as if a 1-77 drove through the rear morphing into the next gen - about the same size as current. Nothing like the DB11 look. Unfortunately I was also told the interior looked like the DB11, but was not set in stone yet. As far as the gent who can match anyones collection - just picked up a Chevy Cruise hatchback - jealous yet? (At 60 miles total the key stopped working, and it seems the panic stop feature is also inop. so far my Vantage is more reliable).

Old 10-17-2016, 02:15 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zettinger
Aston Martin could have gone the 911 route.
Evolution not revolution as the DB11 is.
Tweaking the existing layout, body form and adding new engines, suspension for the next generation.
That would have been by choice. In fairness to Aston, Porsche sells more cars and they have a broader model lineup.
My understanding is that Aston wanted desperately to increase their sales volume. Being a niche car company had too many compromises. The decision was then to create a relationship with Mercedes and produce a completely new car in the hope of attracting more customers.
I am sure the Aston designers believe they have created a design superior to the current car. IMHO they did not.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:20 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
A little too much Nissan in the DB11

The first time I saw the AirBlade roof of the DB11 it reminded me of the Nissan... no coincidence that the President of Aston is from Nissan - somehow he thinks separated roof design looks good... In my opinion is a huge step in the wrong direction...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nissan-kicks-6_1600x0w.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	461313  
Old 11-22-2016, 10:45 AM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Past weekend went to LA Auto Show, saw the DB11 in person. Still not fan of it. Not sure if I'll ever like the the lines. Too many chopped lines. It's not my cup of tea.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Drove a DB11 for about 20 minutes yesterday. I suppose if I was a DB9 person instead of a Vantage one, I might like it - what I liked:

The back up cam.
It felt smaller driving than it was actually (larger).
The electric glove box on the console.
The paddle shift feedback and feel (really nice).
In general the switch gear.

What I did not like - pretty much EVERYTHING else when compared to my Vantage.

The Vantage is a ton more visceral experience.

The Vantage feels like there is more power, not sure if because the turbo, the smoothness of the V12, or where the power comes in, but it might be because the Vantage has a much better sound that comes in the cabin. Whatever, the DB11 just did not feel as quick. Nor could I toss it around.

The interior was very busy - waaaay tooo much bling and trim that conflicted with itself. The screen looked cheap - very cheap flat colors. Was more old Vette feel graphics, just something did not impress me about it. They should have built up on the jeweled dial. That user interface made me appreciate the simplicity of the Vantage panel. My tech savvy son had a hard time figuring anything out.. they really need to bring Steve Jobs back from the grave to advise the interface people.

The after-thought tablet look of the main monitor looked after-thought and the screen is very small for the next gen cars.

The car seemed very much designed by an uncollaborative team that did not replicate the cohesion of the past generation of Aston Martin. If I was in the market for a DB9, I would want to not consider the DB11.

I don't know if Aston Martin reps read this blog (they certainly should) - but if Aston Martin wants a secure future they need to keep improving on the elegance of performance of the past and not look to make the interiors feel as if your inside an overly gaudy Las Vegas Hotel...

I'll likely get a next gen Vantage if they don't ruin it.... if not I'll be keeping my GT a very long time or consider another make if they improve upon the things that make the Vantage so special.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:39 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by telum01
Gotta say, I love the DB11 in person. Not a fan of some of the interior design, and really don't like the stuck-on nav screen (WHY can't they stop doing this???). But the exterior is just stunning. Far, far better in person than in pics.

I do not get the paint scheme that they're trying to sell. Silver window arches? I've seen that before and it's not good...

Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
I purchased a new 14' V8V MT in early 2015. In my opinion it is a great looking vehicle.
It is not however destined to be a classic-at least not in my life time. I have owned cars that were destined for stardom from their introduction; series 1 E-Types, 246 Dino's, AC Ace,
Early 911s, 330 GTCs, etc. I wished I had owned a 275 GTB, Toyota 2000 GT, Aston DB5, Gull Wing, etc.
I very much love my Vantage and find the DB9 fabulous.
The new DB 11 doesn't move me-it's sharp, cutting lines have elements of the Italian supercars.
Just my opinion

Last edited by larryg; 11-25-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
I don't dislike the look of the the DB11 but it will have to grow on me for a while. I think one thing to help will be to paint the car all one color and get away from the black roof.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:09 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
I believe Aston appealed with an understated elegance and an automotive experience that wasn't begging to be the fastest or most extreme. The experience was about balance and sophistication without being cutting edge. They are a small niche car company and should stick to their roots and history. The DB11 looks like Aston is trying too hard. The exterior is too angular, too disjointed and noone needs a floating roof. The interior is too busy, trying to integrate third party systems and has lost the serene comfort of Astons of the past. Maybe I will grow to like it, but right now, it looks too gaudy to appreciate. As mentioned above, I also feel the Vantage has perfect proportions from any angle. I also agree that evolution of current design similar to porsche's approach would have been more appropriate to the revolution they have created.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Come on guys, its the wheels!!!!!! They look Ghetto, like someone put a pair of Niche 28's on it. Not the size, but the look of them. Black wheels and bright silver with black insides may work on some cars pending color, but especially on a grey or brown or black (unless you want murdered) the natural silver standard wheel I bet you would make it look great. Not seen one with them yet. I just look at new Camaros with silver wheels and can see how great the DB11 could look.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Site Sponsor
WheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant futureWheelB has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Come on guys, its the wheels!!!!!! They look Ghetto, like someone put a pair of Niche 28's on it. Not the size, but the look of them. Black wheels and bright silver with black insides may work on some cars pending color, but especially on a grey or brown or black (unless you want murdered) the natural silver standard wheel I bet you would make it look great. Not seen one with them yet. I just look at new Camaros with silver wheels and can see how great the DB11 could look.

As a person who sells aftermarket wheels I shouldn't really be saying this but the OEM wheels don't look THAT bad to my eye. I really think it's the "floating roof" that turns so many of us off towards this car.

- David Nussbaum -
786 249 0127 (ext.2109)
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: David@wheelsboutique.com
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique

Largest HRE Dealer In The World / Largest ANRKY Dealer / BBS Premium Dealer / TechArt Premium Dealer / Vorsteiner / Rotiform / Akrapovic / iPE / Novitec / Brabus / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Brembo / RENNTech / Weistec / Tubi / Hamman / KW / H&R and tons more.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:06 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
No it's the lines of the car. I'm really afraid for the future of Aston Martin. This new model lineup could doom the company. They went from the most beautiful cars in the world to the DB11. Yuck. I say yuck in the saddest way possible.

Last edited by deckman; 11-25-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:05 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
Those wheels were directly from DB10. They were OK on DB10 but not on DB11?

Old 11-25-2016, 05:02 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
They were never OK on the DB11, but it didn't really matter since it was only a show car. Slanted spokes are never good.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:05 AM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by deckman
No it's the lines of the car. I'm really afraid for the future of Aston Martin. This new model lineup could doom the company. They went from the most beautiful cars in the world to the DB11. Yuck. I say yuck in the saddest way possible.
Spot on, Yeck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pics from my DB11 test drive ...