Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

If you have a convertible, read this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 09:09 AM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
If you have a convertible, read this

Thought my CRM ws bad, so I replaced it ($800 total), well went and got a new battery this weekend and got home and the roof would not raise, got the failed message (car was running at the time). Charged up my battery and then roof went up with no issues.
So I start asking myself if maybe a low or weak battery triggers this and other electrical issues. So I put my jag (been sitting for about 2 wks) battery in the db9 and low and behold, got the failed message again, charged up the battery and top worked like a gem.

Moral of this story, if you get the failed message, check for a weak battery or battery with a low charge before thinking the CRM is the problem.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:18 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Low batteries are the cause of a lot of issues for our cars, both on coupes and convertibles. Definitely worth making the battery step 1 in diagnosis for anything using electricity in the car.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:51 AM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
I had exactly the same situation with my DB9 Volante last year. I replaced the battery and the top worked fine...for about six months.
This year the top failed again and the new battery is in great shape. I ended up having to replace the CRM this summer and all has been great since.
My suspicion is that my CRM was failing and causing intermittent problems for two years before it gave up entirely. I suspect that your original unit is likely to go the same way.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:22 PM
It happened after I replaced the CRM with the updated (LOL) model.

Thinking about cutting out a piece of the inner panel and creating brackets for it to cut down on the access time to the CRM, also I have gotten removing the wheel liner down to a science.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:48 AM
charliefore will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

4th Crm on 07. For easy access to unit, unhook unit, remove trunk trim on right side, pull wires into trunk, plug unit in and place unit above sportshift module behind tire inflator. Simply unplug when issue eventually shows up again. Get dirty only once.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM
charliefore, can you give me a little more detail on your crm relocation?

Old 10-12-2016, 02:03 PM
charliefore will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by randyb
charliefore, can you give me a little more detail on your crm relocation?
In trunk locate and remove tire inflator. Take out trim panels as needed to see where wiring comes thru from Crm. Remove Crm from original position and reattach holder to original position and reattach wiring harness back in place. Pull the 2 Crm plugs into space where tire inflator and ss module [grey] are located. Plug in Crm and stuff above or behind ss module. Replace tire inflator. Place foam to prevent rattling if u wish. Easy access and no flatbed needed for next time. Just disconnect Crm. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2016, 02:40 PM
squiddie is on a distinguished road
OP, can you clarify whether you had the engine running at the time?