Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

need independent AM dealer in Philly, South Jersey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:46 PM
alo
alo is an unknown quantity at this point
need independent AM dealer in Philly, South Jersey

My 2002 AM vantage convertible sprung an oil leak and the dealer claims it is from the oil gasket, will take 25 hours of labour and wants $9000 to fix it.
I think I need an another assessment from a reputable indepedent service shop. I would appreciate any recommendations or advice.
I purchased the car 3 months ago, and since then put about 500 miles on it and now it has about 8500 miles total. I did perform a PPI at a dealer as I was concerned about possible oil leak from previous service records and was told that there was nothing to be concerned about. They found some oil on bottom of engine pan which they felt was related to previous oil change and to observe.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:17 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alo
My 2002 AM vantage convertible
Is 2002 a typo?

If it's an '06+ V8V, then it sounds like you're describing the timing cover gasket leak. Technically you can ignore the oil leak, but it isn't ideal at all. Replacing it is expensive because it's a ton of labor. But... if it's the timing cover gasket, $9k is highway robbery. You're looking at around $3500, give or take.

Here's more info that embdenb put together:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...er-gasket.html

Note that for some people, it might not be permanent. If you run your car hard, it's likely to return (based on my experience, anyway). I posted in that athread as well, under my previous screen name (Telum01).

Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
The only reputable places I know in NJ and PA is steelwings in hopewell NJ that works on older Aston (pre gaydon) and exoticars USA in frenchtown NJ which works on most 90s and above Astons

Old 11-17-2016, 08:09 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
So, even if 25 hours of labor, where does the dealer get $9K? Gaskets, even if several, aren't that expensive, so how much is the dealer getting per hour? All yo really need is a shop competent enough to remove the motor so that the gaskets can be replaced. You should check with any local independent shops that are familiar with Jag XJS's, since most of the car structure is the same, and if they can yank a Jag v12 they will have no trouble pulling the Aston version.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:33 PM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mkzhang
The only reputable places I know in NJ and PA is steelwings in hopewell NJ that works on older Aston (pre gaydon) and exoticars USA in frenchtown NJ which works on most 90s and above Astons
Do Not go to Exoticars USA in Frenchtown. This place is where perfectly good running exotic cars go to die! You may want to consider Authorized Imported Car 22 Junction Rd, Flemington, NJ 08822 Phone: (908) 788-1982. They Specialize in Jag and Land Rover. At the very least they will give you a solid referral. There is Also K&T in Allentown who does all things British. These guys pump out fantastic restorations. Exoticars USA is a Con. Stay away!!!

Last edited by drivergmx; 11-18-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:39 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
Suggest Steel Wings http://www.steelwings.com/

No affiliation. But they are beyond outstanding.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:52 PM
alo
alo is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks guys for the recommendations. Yes it is 2002(not a typo) db7 vantage volante V-12. I am going to pull the car back from the dealer and get another evaluation.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:42 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drivergmx
Do Not go to Exoticars USA in Frenchtown. This place is where perfectly good running exotic cars go to die! You may want to consider Authorized Imported Car 22 Junction Rd, Flemington, NJ 08822 Phone: (908) 788-1982. They Specialize in Jag and Land Rover. At the very least they will give you a solid referral. There is Also K&T in Allentown who does all things British. These guys pump out fantastic restorations. Exoticars USA is a Con. Stay away!!!
Can you give me the back story on your view on exoticars USA?

Old 11-28-2016, 03:58 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Was it Kerbeck that quoted you? i got a couple quotes from them and they're sky high.
If you want factory service for right about the same price as indi call AM Summit [NJ]. although still expect that to be around a $4000+ job especially on a V12. everything has to be removed to pull the cover, and then the probability of a permanent fix is still fairly low.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:57 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I would double check with Steel Wings, if haven't already. Know they do some modern Astons and other brands. Jon and crew are spectacular.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Hey Mike Foreman, I know you work at exoticars, best not be digging up old stories just because it won't be flattering. Drivergmx and I know each other, I've heard of his, a few others, and now have one of my own. These are stories best left to the history books

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.