Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

ProTech protection film

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:28 AM
klmc is on a distinguished road
ProTech protection film

I am considering wrapping the entire car (Vanquish new) to protect from stone chips etc.

The ProTech solution in Monaco is offering 5 years warranty and using a selfhealing product - quite pricy at EUR 5,500 though - worth it?

Anyone with experience / recommendations? (pro/cons)

Old 11-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I haven't used that specific product, but in my opinion wraps are definitely worth the cost. 5500 EUR is a bit steep, but that could be the product, the area you're in, or the fact that you're doing the entire car. Still, wraps are very worthwhile.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks - I know that re-paint would probably be cheaper (depending on the damage) - but I'd like the preserve the original paint. I do find it rather expensive, however, it takes 6 working days so it appears a lot of work is involved.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Collinsjd is on a distinguished road
Completely worthwhile to invest in PPF. I have had a great deal of experience with XPel PPF and it's ability to self heal when coming in contact with heat is truly amazing.

We had our Tesla wrapped and the bulk of the cost is in labor. I would ensure the car has paint correction and polish prior to the PPF adhesion and validate the PPF edges will be wrapped to eliminate visible lines. If it's taking six days, it sounds like that's in line with what it takes to do the job right.

Old 11-19-2016, 04:50 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I've done complete wraps on two of my cars with zero regrets.

I don't know the Pro-Tech product, but as a reference, I completely wrapped all panels, roof, boot, bonnet, carbon fibre, door sills, etc. on my
V12 with Xpel, it cost ~$8,000 USD. It first included some prior minor paint correction. Took two guys, 3 days at their shop. No pre-cuts, all custom, folded over edges. Cost included windshield too with Clearplex. So, 5,500 Euros if not pre-cut from manufacture, seems like a very fair price.

I would just make sure Pro-Tech is highest standards, seems like it is, with self-healing, like Xpel. I know in Monaco they have an abundance of high end experience in your fabulous country. If doing wrap, I view its always best to have it done in the installers shop, not dealer, as they can cut new pieces real time, and don't improvise with whats on the truck and/or the dusty/busy environment of most dealerships.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the input - I just want to make sure it is the right/best solution. They claim they are not going to dismantle the car in any way - is that also your experience? I am worried about anything being taken apart and not put back together right - specially as the car is brand new - still at the dealer - but the wrap will be done at ProTech.

Here is a video they did:

Any thoughts on their solution?

At 0.29 I don't like they cut directly on the car!

Last edited by klmc; 11-20-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:39 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by klmc
Thanks - I know that re-paint would probably be cheaper (depending on the damage) - but I'd like the preserve the original paint. I do find it rather expensive, however, it takes 6 working days so it appears a lot of work is involved.

Somebody in Monaco w/ an Aston Martin brand new is complaining about cost of something? Seems fishy to me.

Kidding aside---- First--I know your car is brand new, so that makes things simpler. YOU MUST do a paint correction to the paint before the application of the PPF. Reason why----- the paint is not at its best even fresh from the factory. The dealer will give you a FREE option whether you want it or not. Its called DISO. This will be installed on your paint regardless of what dealer in the world sells the car.
DISO--Dealer Installed Scratch Option. This happens everytime the car is washed, rinsed off, wiped down etc.....dirty rags, not washed micro fiber clothes, brushes to wash the car, same soap as the last 4 cars with the same mitt from the past week etc.....

Every dealer in the world does this process. So, to have the best finish and highest level of gloss the paint must be leveled by a professional. Picture the Alps or mountains surrounding Monaco. When swirls or scratches are installed into the paint microscopically that is what your paint looks like. You need to make it look like the Med. Sea FLAT, so it can reflect light and provide the best gloss it can. Hope that makes sense. When you correct Paint your leveling the surface, then removing the micro marring from the compounds and polishing the surface.

Personally----on my AM in Black that I pick up in Dec (not new with swirls) I plan on likely doing a 50-60 hour paint correction to make it better than new. That's overboard, and I have the time so why not. But a consumer with a New Vanq, I would at least do a 10hr paint only polish to refine it to perfection.

All that to say, that is what you should want to do, then cover that gloss with the protectant to try and keep it that way. Anyone telling you otherwise is not telling you the truth. Many dealers especially high -end ones have no clue what Paint Correction is and how involved the process is. They don't even realize their $10 and hour washers are inputting scratches in the paint. As long as the customer says"wow its shiny" they are happy. In reality they are damaging the paint before the car is even sold. I will post pictures tonight here, that shows a Brand New 2016 V8V in black that has DISO all over it, and looked horrible.

So, now that you understand that I will put more in a next post. Gotta run out for a bit

Old 11-20-2016, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Somebody in Monaco w/ an Aston Martin brand new is complaining about cost of something? Seems fishy to me.
Ha, ha - not complaining just trying to make sure the price point in in line with reality. Thanks so much for the comprehensive reply I really appreciate it. I would expect that ProTech would do the paint correction but I will check that tomorrow.

Looking forward to the pics - thanks in advance.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:17 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Ha, ha - not complaining just trying to make sure the price point in in line with reality. Thanks so much for the comprehensive reply I really appreciate it. I would expect that ProTech would do the paint correction but I will check that tomorrow.

Looking forward to the pics - thanks in advance.

PPF--- the Xpel w/ self healing is great stuff!!! Not sure ProTech, but most of the new ones are similar.

Installation--- There are two types of PPF and then hybrid intals.
1. Pre-cut for the vehicle intended for---- this allows for no or minimal Razor blades to be used during the process, however does in most cases show PPF lines near edges to where it was pre-cut. Some pre-cuts are better than others. But, those lines get crud, wax etc... caught in them and sometimes tends to show up more.

2. Custom Cut PPF----- this takes a very experienced installer to apply. This involves ALL edges to be cut by hand which the installer is using a Razor Blade to cut those edges. Many many times an inexperienced installer will accidently touch the paint with the blade edge cutting into it. Or marking it up. especially in areas a normal person wouldn't look. So the more experienced the installer, the better the process.

3. Pre-cut Hybrids----- to lessen the chances of Razor blade cuts into areas on the car, some pre-cut models allow for extra material to be near edges, such as hood, where the installer can wrap the edge underneath, rather than having the edge right on or slightly smaller than the panel.

Custom cut PPF-----is the preferred method overall. However experienced installer w/ insurance to cover any marks they put in, IF they mess up. Detailers should have insurance also. I don't, but I am very careful with what I do, and IF by chance I were to mess up, I would just come out of pocket for it. I don't mess up though. Too cautious. Plus I don't have a business. I only do my own and friends cars, but keep up with all new technology and processes the same as a business would do.

Prices----- since I don't have PPF on my cars, and don't install it either I cant help with pure advice on this. But will give it a swing. Friend paid for Xpel w/ self healing properties 5k last year in Chicago for a AMG Mercedes E63 whole car wrap. Front end wraps-- hood, side fenders, bumper, mirrors----- typically runs 1500-2k from what other owners have mentioned.

1. 8k US for a whole car wrap, in high end PPF, by an experienced installer on a brand new Aston Martin Vanq------ likely in line with current pricing
2. Monaco---- knowing the car is coming from a AM dealer there, new, and a 300k or more car, yep likely a 1-2k price increase over what could be had elsewhere.

Highly recommend------ after installation you can TOP the PPF with a carnauba wax for increased gloss levels for shows, meetings, photo-shoots etc...... But you can protect the PPF or need to protect it just like you do your paint clear coat. This protectant (whether its a carnauba wax (1-3 months), a liquid synthetic sealant (6months) or a type of coating (Cquartz, 22ple, Modesta etc...) lasting 1-4 years, will allow UV Protection for the PPF and help keep elements from degrading it. That will make your 8k investment last longer.

My preference for coatings is to NOT use them directly on Paint clear coats. The issues it can cause down the road (to be covered in threads this Christmas) for future owners, or yourself if kept that long, do not outweigh the benefits of it. However, to overlay or top PPF with them is just fine, with no adverse issues. Multiple benefits to this. Longevity of the PPF is increased, the gloss levels are slightly returned to the paint look or outweigh the PPF dulling qualities and last several years. Plus for PPF.

If not a high quality sealant such as AMMO Skin, Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc... all work great. Carnauba wax I would use Ammo Crème, Pinnacle Sovouran only. That is my preference.

Just so there is not quandary of products mentioned I will be using for my personal car and recommending to others AMMO Reflex, followed by AMMO Skin, followed by AMMO Crème for my total protection without PPF on the car.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 11-20-2016 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
PPF--- the Xpel w/ self healing is great stuff!!! Not sure ProTech, but most of the new ones are similar.

Installation--- There are two types of PPF and then hybrid intals.
1. Pre-cut for the vehicle intended for---- this allows for no or minimal Razor blades to be used during the process, however does in most cases show PPF lines near edges to where it was pre-cut. Some pre-cuts are better than others. But, those lines get crud, wax etc... caught in them and sometimes tends to show up more.

2. Custom Cut PPF----- this takes a very experienced installer to apply. This involves ALL edges to be cut by hand which the installer is using a Razor Blade to cut those edges. Many many times an inexperienced installer will accidently touch the paint with the blade edge cutting into it. Or marking it up. especially in areas a normal person wouldn't look. So the more experienced the installer, the better the process.

3. Pre-cut Hybrids----- to lessen the chances of Razor blade cuts into areas on the car, some pre-cut models allow for extra material to be near edges, such as hood, where the installer can wrap the edge underneath, rather than having the edge right on or slightly smaller than the panel.
Thank you so much, I really value all the information and I now know which clarifications to get tomorrow. I am a bit worried about the razor cutting - even if the are insured it will probably be hard to spot it and the damage is done - if it happens...

Would they need to dismantle the lights, badges etc?

Old 11-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Thank you so much, I really value all the information and I now know which clarifications to get tomorrow. I am a bit worried about the razor cutting - even if the are insured it will probably be hard to spot it and the damage is done - if it happens...

Would they need to dismantle the lights, badges etc?
Depending on installer and work being done. No they don't have to do any of that. But.... those items removed will very much make it look better. Its all about hiding the seams. More you hide them and make it look like its not on there, the better the job. Headlights, side markers and such being loosened to wrap the edge around the panel is great. Emblems not so much IMHO. Very high end shops that would do that, definitely have experience in doing so, or they very likely would not include that in any service. I am a semi-professional Paint Corrector and I can remove emblems and such, and have on MY cars to get all the paint near them and under them perfect. However, re-aligning a Ferrari or AM emblem, nope wouldn't want to do that. If done, typically I would replace with brand new ones. Not re-glue them. However, on PPF not sure how that is done, if it even is. Hope that helps some.

It is very likely the shop you are using, will take care in everything they do. I would be surprised if they didnt. I will say I have seen shops say no need to do a correction before PPF application. I disagree, I feel that its a waste not to do it, because once the PPF in on there, there is nothing that can be done. You really want the highest level of gloss possible before the installation. Just my .02

Razor Blades----- Its somewhat normal. In custom PPF, which is what you want, they are a necessity. Talk to them, and let them know your concerns and see how they react to it. They should understand completely and work to explain how they take caution NOT to make a cut dangerously. If you don't feel completely satisfied with their answer do not get the work done there. There is always a professional place that will cater to the customers needs and questions. Honest and truthful is how they should be. Ask the " what if a mistake is done and I find it when its washed 5 days from now, what do we do about it" questions. See what they say. They should back up what they do. Likely not a huge issue in the end and they will probably take great care of you also. But, never hurts to ask.

Unfortunately for me, I typically know more about what is being done to the car than the person doing it, so for me I wont always get the answers I am looking for. Like I said, I may know more about the process and intended purposes than they do, but physically I can't do it or I would do it myself.

I would ask all of the above myself, and cannot think of anything more to help you out. You already know now, more than most of the owners on this forum about the process. IF they read this, they now know also.

Sheriff

Old 11-20-2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks again - appreciate it - yes a nice thread for anyone wanting to do the same.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Collinsjd is on a distinguished road
Check out appearancesolutions.net I've used them for a Signature Tesla and they did an exceptional job. Removed side markers and ancillary badging to ensure seams were hidden. Very professional and I know you're not in Northern California, but it can give you an idea of a high end shops process.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Collinsjd
Check out appearancesolutions.net I've used them for a Signature Tesla and they did an exceptional job. Removed side markers and ancillary badging to ensure seams were hidden. Very professional and I know you're not in Northern California, but it can give you an idea of a high end shops process.
Thanks - looks great - I'll update this thread once it has been done in a few weeks.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Work in progress

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.