Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Clutch for V8's from Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:29 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dougn1
im shopping an 09 or 10 manual.
seems like a clutch job should be pretty easy since you don't have to wrestle the transmission. is this the case?
Don,t have to wrestle the transmission ????

Old 06-21-2017, 10:40 AM
dougn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
holy **** it's a huge job!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:41 PM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
It isn't really that bad - I did my clutch on jack stands in the garage last summer.

2 really painful parts of the job:
-Getting the car up on jack stands in the first place (good description on the Redpants web site, but it's still very nerve wracking).
-Getting the transmission back into place single handed.

I've never done a clutch replacement before, but lots of other work - Aston's are probably the easiest car I've worked on - the fasteners are high quality and access is quite good. (unlike a BMW, where you need to be double jointed to get to some fasteners).

Specialty tools needed were minimal (transmission jack, and a clutch alignment tool - dual plate clutch needs a special one, but since I was doing the factory clutch, I made up a quick part on the lathe that worked well). High jack stands for the back would make things easier.

Matt

Old 06-21-2017, 01:09 PM
I saw that Yikes!

Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
http://www.redpants.lol/shop/amr-clutchflywheel-package

You'll find the job a bit more complicated. Pull the axles, drop the tranny, pull at least part of the exhaust with one header, pull the torque tube and driveshaft, and then you can change the clutch.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:12 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
If you're talking about the job I agree, if the price of the clutch, that's cheap. I paid $4300 for the VAP setup 8 months ago, then $2300 for the install [also cheap] ;/

Old 06-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by hsm precision
It isn't really that bad - I did my clutch on jack stands in the garage last summer.

2 really painful parts of the job:
-Getting the car up on jack stands in the first place (good description on the Redpants web site, but it's still very nerve wracking).
-Getting the transmission back into place single handed.

I've never done a clutch replacement before, but lots of other work - Aston's are probably the easiest car I've worked on - the fasteners are high quality and access is quite good. (unlike a BMW, where you need to be double jointed to get to some fasteners).

Specialty tools needed were minimal (transmission jack, and a clutch alignment tool - dual plate clutch needs a special one, but since I was doing the factory clutch, I made up a quick part on the lathe that worked well). High jack stands for the back would make things easier.

Matt

well this is good to hear for sure. thanks!

Old 01-19-2018, 12:22 PM
GBR_LAW is an unknown quantity at this point
V8 2006 Manual: New clutch needed

The original clutch finally gave up the ghost at 83,000 so looking for a replacement for a daily driven 2006 manual. Based in LA, lighter flywheel would be a plus. Any suggestions warmly welcomed

Old 01-19-2018, 12:29 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
83,000 is impressive!!

For stock Newport Beach has a clutch special right on their website. I would be surprised if the AMR was a significant upcharge. But it might, I have not asked to find out the details as I could never have mine done there, I'm on the right coast. But I'm in LA every year and my car was from NB so I always stop in and get a new license plate surround as the Winter always eats up the last LOL

Otherwise Redpants sells the AMR at an extremely good price and you'd have an indi do the install.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GBR_LAW
The original clutch finally gave up the ghost at 83,000 so looking for a replacement for a daily driven 2006 manual. Based in LA, lighter flywheel would be a plus. Any suggestions warmly welcomed
We have a great option available for you - includes the OEM V12 Vantage clutch, rather than the shorter height AMR unit from the Audi R8. Also have 6 Speed special pricing available.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-flywheel.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-flywheel.html

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-23-2018, 07:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GBR_LAW
I also have a dealer in Pasadena who has tackled this job before, would be perfect.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-29-2018, 04:21 PM
If I was in the LA basin I would want the job done by somebody that has done hundreds, not just tackled the job once or twice. I'd definitely give Newport Beach a call and talk to Beorne. They probably install aftermarket stuff also, but if I go lightweight again it will be the AMR setup.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
If I was in the LA basin I would want the job done by somebody that has done hundreds, not just tackled the job once or twice. I'd definitely give Newport Beach a call and talk to Beorne. They probably install aftermarket stuff also, but if I go lightweight again it will be the AMR setup.
I can assure you that the guys at Pasadena Motorcars are 100% equipped to tackle this job. At the end of the day it is not rocket science and there's nothing particularly unusual about it that would make a mechanic experienced in Aston, Jag, Land Rover, Audi, Lamborghini etc. incapable of perfect execution.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Heart transplants aren't rocket science either but would you rather have the Dr. doing his 5th or the Dr. doing his 1200th?

I will always advise authorized dealer service, where good authorized dealer service is available. The cost of the indi's isn't enough less that I'm going to trust my car to anyone but the most qualified. And in the LA basin that's Galpin [largest AM dealer in the US] or NB [4th largest AM dealer in the US], and after visiting both I just prefer NB as a much more intimate setting, with a quite sizeable shop, and the coolest and extremely knowledgeable people that work there.

What ever happened to the importance of authorized dealer stamps in your manual for service? Seems I read that in Grants book. Why should any other aspect of the car be done by an indi over dealer? Unless there is no authorized service in your area and you have no choice.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Heart transplants aren't rocket science either but would you rather have the Dr. doing his 5th or the Dr. doing his 1200th?

I will always advise authorized dealer service, where good authorized dealer service is available. The cost of the indi's isn't enough less that I'm going to trust my car to anyone but the most qualified. And in the LA basin that's Galpin [largest AM dealer in the US] or NB [4th largest AM dealer in the US], and after visiting both I just prefer NB as a much more intimate setting, with a quite sizeable shop, and the coolest and extremely knowledgeable people that work there.

What ever happened to the importance of authorized dealer stamps in your manual for service? Seems I read that in Grants book. Why should any other aspect of the car be done by an indi over dealer? Unless there is no authorized service in your area and you have no choice.
All good, you're entitled to you opinion. Lots of options out there fore everyone.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 01-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Exactly, some have no choice at all but to find somebody that will at least attempt to work on their car, and some of us live 20 minutes from good authorized dealer service. With the choices available, I will stick with the most experienced, even though the less experienced can probably do the job adequately. But somehow the importance of dealer service is no longer that important? Somebody should tell Grant so he can revise his guide

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Clutch for V8's from Aston Martin