Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Clutch for V8's from Aston Martin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:47 PM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
I'm being told the AMR twin plate clutch kit cost is $3550 for parts. Labor to install is about $1750.

The VAP twin plate clutch is about a thousand dollars more that the AMR for parts.

Any opinions as to why to spend the extra money on the VAP kit vs AMR?

Has anyone here had the AMR clutch installed and can give feedback? (I've read reviews of the VAP clutch, but not the AMR one)

Old 02-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Ours is the same price. With Xr changing and some cost savings on our part we can price match the AMar kit, so you get the full V12VS clutch and not the compromised smaller version in the AMR package. We haven’t updated the site yet but will have an announcement soon.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM
ab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of lightab_aston is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Stuart - that's great news!

So, now I'm even more stuck as to which clutch to go with???

Anyone here get the AMR clutch and can give feedback?

Old 02-21-2018, 11:08 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Get the AMR one! You can be the first to review. If you need a clutch It shouldn't matter which is better, you'll be happy with either.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ab_aston
Thanks Stuart - that's great news!

So, now I'm even more stuck as to which clutch to go with???

Anyone here get the AMR clutch and can give feedback?
The AMR clutch is a great product. They essentially saw what the aftermarket was doing and came out with their own version.

Where the VAP setup has an advantage is, rather than using the smaller R8 version of the Valeo Twin Plate clutch pack, ours uses the taller V12 Vantage S unit. It's designed to handle more HP that the R8 setup.

AM did not use the V12VS unit because they realised it would not fit the 2015/2016 cars, when they started casting the release bearing spacer into the torque tube. The only other solution (one of our clients used) was to machine down the torque tube, or alternatively order a completely different torque tube + spacer from the earlier cars.

You can't go wrong with either option.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-23-2018, 03:37 PM
AZV8s is an unknown quantity at this point
Would either the AMR or the VAP setup fit a 2011 Vantage S with the Sport Shift II 7 speed tranny?

Old 02-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by AZV8s
Would either the AMR or the VAP setup fit a 2011 Vantage S with the Sport Shift II 7 speed tranny?
Ours does 100%. The 2011 doesn't have the torque tube/spacer issue like the 15-on cars so I believe the AMR should work. That said I've heard conflicting info from dealers about whether the AMR is or is not endorsed by the factory for the ASM cars.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-17-2018, 09:26 AM
JBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of lightJBurer is a glorious beacon of light
Has anyone tried a Kevlar disc?

Rebuilds on the Ferrari clutches in Kevlar are much less expensive and have been popular from HCF - https://hcfautoparts.com/

Old 03-19-2018, 11:43 AM
geronracing is on a distinguished road
Hi All!

Recently purchased a Vantage, and am now installing the AMR twin-plate clutch.

I have the service manual, however it only speaks to the torque values for the single plate.

Anyone have any info of the proper procedure (torque values) for the twin plate clutch pieces?

The rest of the install (or really "uninstall" at this point in the project) has been ultra smooth. Much easier than working on Lotus

Thanks for any help!

Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by geronracing
Hi All!

Recently purchased a Vantage, and am now installing the AMR twin-plate clutch.

I have the service manual, however it only speaks to the torque values for the single plate.

Anyone have any info of the proper procedure (torque values) for the twin plate clutch pieces?

The rest of the install (or really "uninstall" at this point in the project) has been ultra smooth. Much easier than working on Lotus

Thanks for any help!
For our kit it is 19NM.

I would expect the AMR to be the same.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Thanks Stuart!

Now doing some research looks like you do a great service to the community here, even when people buy competitors products.

It looks like I am too "new" to send PM's. could you message me?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:21 AM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Yup---one threat guys seem to want to shot each other. Then--next threat they are sharing a drink together...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Aston Martin cars...

Old 03-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by geronracing
Thanks Stuart!

Now doing some research looks like you do a great service to the community here, even when people buy competitors products.

It looks like I am too "new" to send PM's. could you message me?
Why don't you email me at stuart@velocityap.com

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-23-2018, 05:24 PM
Hey all,

First-
Thank you to Stuart. Even without spending a dime at his business, he spoke to me on the phone and gave me some advice. I think that speaks to the customer service.
As well as this Brian in the parts department at Los Gatos Aston Martin has given me superb service and support. Great guy and Customer service.

Second-
Clutch went in last night so now on the back end of the clutch install (IE putting everything back together).
So far everything went flawlessly. The hardest part of the whole job was removing the bolts on the top side of the torque tube to the block. Just not much room. Nothing crazy and will be interesting to reinstall them.

Stuart and quite a few resources have said you are just able to install the clutch without a compression tool. Having looked at it, I believe they are right and would be fine as long as you compress the bolts evenly to the final torque value.

This wouldn't do for me. I trust the Aston torque values and the above would change the torque on the bolts, even if only slightly.
Forgoing buying the $1600 Aston Clutch compression tool, I "made" my own from a universal kit I already had. I used the flywheel torque in the service manual and 19nm for the clutch pack when compressed.

What you need is
Universal Clutch Compression tool, similar to
Amazon Universal Clutch Tool Link Amazon Universal Clutch Tool Link
($100)- Make sure the one you buy has a 3 arm tool
3x- 6mmx50mm coarse thread hex cap screws (10.9)
3x- 6mm thick washer.

The screws will connect the cover to the tool, and then you can compress them, like normal. Some universal compression tools may come with the 6mm connecting screws, mine didn't, seemed to only have SAE.
You can then line up and compress the clutch plate with the tool, like normal and center and install the cluthch pack on the fly wheel.

Worked out really well! I feel better the clutch was installed to the Aston Martin specifications.

Also-
I replaced the pilot bearing.The bearing size is a "JT-129". The bearing in there was a "Torrington" brand. I had never heard of the brand before (surprisingly even with the name "Torrington" which I would have assumed was British made, it was stamped USA.) I went with a Koyo bearing, which I know are high quality and is made in the USA. Plus they are easy to source. Nothing super special for the bearing replacement other than a small bearing puller I already had in my tools set similar to the one below. It was easy with the fly wheel removed.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-jaw-...ller-4876.html

Hope this can help someone in the future. I take no responsibility and you can use this method and advice at your own risk.

Last edited by geronracing; 03-26-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:08 PM
Jay Vong is an unknown quantity at this point
i was quoted $3400 shipped to your door for the asm kit which includes the flywheel, clutch, slave, and bolts. not a bad number.

6G33-11-10821

but it doesnt mention asm transsmission. does anyone know if it will also fit? i think the slave spacer is different if im not mistaken

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Clutch for V8's from Aston Martin