Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tempted to get the Vantage V12S Manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 PM
SUFitness is on a distinguished road
Tempted to get the Vantage V12S Manual

I had a 15 Vantage GT manual and loved it. Long story short, had unforeseen business expenses, then got impatient and sold it after 6 months (only lost CA taxes on it since I got a good deal on it).

Regret that decision to this day. Especially since later that year I bought the GT350R. But even with that car, the Vantage feels like 'the one that got away'.

Now 2 years later, that V12S 7-speed manual is calling me.

I've read every forum and discussion out there on this car. And I want to believe this is an instant classic and future collectible (last NA v12).

But I'm not looking to 'break even'. I don't even care if I lose some money on it. I just don't want to take a HUGE bath on this $230k-ish car.

With that said. At what price would YOU consider getting a manual Vantage V12S?

That price where you might lose $30-40k in 2-3 years..

MSRP is $230-Ish. Salesman near me offered it for $195 already. I'm curious to see how low you think I can go. Anyone with experience buying one of these? Mind sharing what you paid for it?

Thanks guys!

Old 06-27-2017, 08:14 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
What are the colors? If it's not ugly I'd be interested for that price point if you're in the market. $200K was what the original V12V was. 6 years later and a nice one is still holding up price wise. I know several dealers have a few in stock.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:35 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
If i had the means I would buy the **** outta that car, I doubt they dip below 150k, I mean the 2010-2011's are still holding value over 100k

Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Seems the 2011 are around 120k ish asking prices with fairly low mileage.

Aston Martin Charlotte ie...Foreign Cars Italia has a WHITE and I think on black 7spd V12S in their showroom. Its been there for a year i believe, or whenever they came out. I looked at it in May.

Not sure what asking is, but of course the managers act like its better than sliced bread and it could never lose value. But, its a year old now, so no matter what depreciation has started on it, floorplan has to start eating away at profits or already has, so White on Black might be a fairly rare color for these.

Just giving options. Yep----US only got 100 so should in 20 years see increase values. Similar to the DBS. I think the DBS's are holding at this point.

My 05 rare 6spd DB9 may or may not be starting to hold 60k value. Yes, many available for in the 40's now, but not manuals. None were listed the last two times on Cars.com. So we will see where this goes in a year or two.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Theres a few at Morries Aston Martin in Minneapolis

Old 06-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Are you looking at Galpin? They had a dark silver Coupe 7 speed about three weeks ago. If I could afford it I would buy it. Like you said last 12 with a stick.
Maybe don't look at it as an investment at first, and just enjoy it. Than 5 or so years down the road see what the market is if you don't want to keep it. Life I short, if you can afford it, Do it!. Also read my daughter's review on the V 12,
http://girlsdrivefasttoo.com/2017/06...tage-s-review/
Ron

Old 06-27-2017, 04:56 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Ron you should be so proud. You raised your daughter right.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
I drove one around on Sunday and the 7-speed, frankly, makes no sense. It's not difficult to get used to, but there's no reason to have used a dogleg except that the ASMIII uses it and they did a manual-conversion with the same gearbox. The car would have been better received with the 6-speed, just as was used in the V12 Vantage and DBS.

It takes a bit to remember to start in 1st gear, since just about all of us naturally move the gear **** to where 2nd is (where 1st is in any other car), but the car has enough torque that you can easily start in 2nd. 1st isn't straight back, either. It's down and slightly angled in. So to shift from 1st to 2nd, you're actually angling out, then back in. It's tricky to quickly shift 1st-to-2nd, but if you get it right, the car launches forward and you get slammed back in your seat.

It's also a very notchy transmission, so it doesn't feel nearly as smooth as the 6-speed. I think a large part of that is because they used the standard shift ****. My buddy that ones the one I drove is getting a custom-made DBS **** with the 7-speed pattern for his. I think the extra weight of the **** will make shifting feel much better.

All in all, it's an awesome car. Noticeable improvements in a few areas compared to the original V12 Vantage, and a world ahead of a standard early V8V. The one I drove was a roadster, which made it all the more special. Perfectly civil in normal driving, but a complete animal when you romp on it.

I think you'll be holding it for a very long time if you plan to use it as an investment. Last V12 manual, sure, but so was the earlier V12 Vantage. I think it's far too early to tell if or when a modern Aston will be worth anything that could be considered close to an investment.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gene G
Ron you should be so proud. You raised your daughter right.
Thanks for the kind words, and yes I am. She is also a driving coach for the Porsche experience center here in Carson California!
Ron

Old 06-28-2017, 08:53 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
There is no "investment" in any modern Aston that isn't over a million $. The Carbon Black V12V was limited to 1 per dealer in the US, so, 38? Anybody that bought one has lost $100k and only time will tell if that continues to drop.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:29 PM
SUFitness is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks guys - definitely not looking at it as an 'investment'. I'm happy losing a little bit of my shirt on it.

Afaik the only modern $150k-$200k car that won't lose value is the new GT3 -
but good luck getting one at MSRP, especially here in CA.

Haven't been to Galpin yet, but the color I'm most interested in is that China Grey. Maybe some lipstick too. And then changing the gearbox like Redpants mentioned and putting in the AMR clutch if available.

Just curious to see who has driven in one, since most online reviews are based on short drives. I would take mine to track days as well. Thanks again for the replies!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 PM
There was a V 12 that color with yellow lipstick at NEWPORT I think about 3 months ago. Did you read my daughter's review? She had the car for 3 day and 4 tanks of gas!
Ron

Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
There was a V 12 that color with yellow lipstick at NEWPORT I think about 3 months ago.

I seen it last weekend on the showroom floor. If you want a grey one, I'll bet there is not very many of them.

JW

Old 07-01-2017, 05:11 PM
sierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nicesierraV12V is just really nice
Last time I was in Walnut Creek they had a china grey one, I think it's still there. I've heard of V12VS for ~155k new since they weren't moving quickly, I'm not sure how much extra the manual version adds but I wouldn't be surprised if you could get one below 195k after they've sat on it for a while. If you'd want to change the gearbox why not get a low miles V12V and upgrade to the Velocity power pack...I've also heard of people upgrading the V12V suspension to the V12VS. I'm pretty sure you could do all this and still come in ~50k below a V12VSM at 195k.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:15 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
I think sub 190s you should be ok, the will probably drop to 160k then stabilize from there and slowly appreciate. Do not expect 911R crack-pipe prices ... Even those guys got hammered once Porsche screwed over all the speculators... It will never happen.

For the record it's not the last V12 manual, Aston already confirmed Vantage is getting the V12TT in manual too. It's just last of the NA V12s with manual.

I agree the 7spd is too much. The more power & torque you have the less gears you need. From all the reviews it appears the gates are too narrow (Which reminds me of the old Porsche Carrera GT Supercar). I drove the CGT and HATED it... The gates were so narrow it was a nightmare and I would always shift 2-5 instead of 2-3. It got really annoying so I never bought it (That and it's a widow maker waiting to kill you).

But I get it Aston did it to save money and just convert the automated manual to stick with minimal investment , makes sense

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.