Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

3 yr Service (Quick Answer please)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:22 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
3 yr Service (Quick Answer please)

Dealer has stated the feed (fead) belt of my Vantage V8S needs to be changed, since its recommended the belt should be changed every three years. Valid?

Grateful for a quick answer.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:31 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
What is a fead belt?

Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by larryg
What is a fead belt?

Main belt that goes around all the pullys (sp?) on the outside of the engine.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM
EuroKip is an unknown quantity at this point
Drive belt can go longer than 3 years usually since we don't drive a ton of miles on our toys. A visual inspection looking for cracks and dry rot should offer comfort providing you don't get any squeal on cold start.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by EuroKip
Drive belt can go longer than 3 years usually since we don't drive a ton of miles on our toys. A visual inspection looking for cracks and dry rot should offer comfort providing you don't get any squeal on cold start.

That's my thought but Aston Martin does recommend changing it at the three year interval. So, I'll have them do it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
There is no factory recommended mileage or time for service of the FEAD belt. For what it costs I would only change it if it's noisy. Belt squeal when cold, and belt replacement will require an updated idler pulley (If it has not been fitted previously) which adds to the cost.

JW

Old 06-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
There is no factory recommended mileage or time for service of the FEAD belt. For what it costs I would only change it if it's noisy. Belt squeal when cold, and belt replacement will require an updated idler pulley (If it has not been fitted previously) which adds to the cost.

JW
The dealer has told me Aston lists it as a 3 yr service item.

I checked the owners manual and it's only saying to inspect that belt. (possible price gouging going on?)

Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Aston does not list it on the Maintenance sheet? Ask for a copy for proof.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Aston does not list it on the Maintenance sheet? Ask for a copy for proof.
Meh. I'm going to let this go. It's a the last service prior to it going off warranty. From here out, they won't see the car again.

I've been quoted a price of $120 for the fead belt which, according to them, is a great price. Meanwhile, I've located three sources (with one being in the US) that list it for at least half that price.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 06-28-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:41 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
FYI: FEAD belt = front end alternator drive belt
Does not to be replaced after 3 years, only inspected, changed if defect.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
They just changed it on my 2010 6 months ago, it was still perfect but part of the 50,000 mile service [car had 6500 on it then].

Nissan tried to pull that on my Z when it was 3 years old, Said it was dry rot and cracking and needed replacing. I told them to show me, and, it was like new. Same belt was on the car when I sold it this year, 7 years and 70,000 miles.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Never heard of this being changed as a set service.
Originally Posted by GDay2
FYI: FEAD belt = front end alternator drive belt
Does not to be replaced after 3 years, only inspected, changed if defect.
Front end accessory drive

Old 06-29-2017, 08:06 AM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Redpants
Never heard of this being changed as a set service.Front end accessory drive
Is it pretty easy to change?

Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
It can be tricky the first time because it takes some coordination to route the belt (it's really long) but helps to have a second pair of hands.
http://www.redpants.lol/updated-fead...-installation/

Old 06-29-2017, 01:02 PM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redpants
It can be tricky the first time because it takes some coordination to route the belt (it's really long) but helps to have a second pair of hands.
http://www.redpants.lol/updated-fead...-installation/
Also make sure that you have a nice long 3/8"-drive pry / braker bar for the belt tension arm. Don't try to use a socket driver. It's too short.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.