Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage - Whine induced by turn?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 04:09 PM
MrRobot is on a distinguished road
V8 Vantage - Whine induced by turn?

During a right hand turn a couple weeks ago, a sudden whining noise started.. It sounded like it was something connected to the main belt as the noise is connected to rpm speed. The noise stopped after a few minutes, but now I hear it on startup for 5 minutes, and again if I make any turn at speed, e.g. highway exit ramps etc.

The noise doesn't sound at all like just belt noise (belt and main pulley were upgraded 4 months ago), but much more like a mechanical whine, if that makes sense. Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Cheers,

Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
hydraulic steering pump?

just had mine replaced as it was starting to "squelch" a bit when turning. not really a whine noise though

Graeme

Old 10-01-2017, 08:27 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Agree with Gene here, I have had to replace my steering pump as well but mine literally just went out and spewed fluid all over. These pumps do not like to be at lock even for a split second.

Old 02-04-2022, 09:56 AM
LeStrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by MrRobot
During a right hand turn a couple weeks ago, a sudden whining noise started.. It sounded like it was something connected to the main belt as the noise is connected to rpm speed. The noise stopped after a few minutes, but now I hear it on startup for 5 minutes, and again if I make any turn at speed, e.g. highway exit ramps etc.

The noise doesn't sound at all like just belt noise (belt and main pulley were upgraded 4 months ago), but much more like a mechanical whine, if that makes sense. Anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Cheers,
Sorry for refloating such al old thread. After so many years, have you found out what this issue was?

Old 02-04-2022, 10:35 PM
matt75321 is an unknown quantity at this point
For what it’s worth I had a very similar issue and turned out my power steering fluid was low. Filling back up solved it.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:54 AM
LeStrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by matt75321
For what it’s worth I had a very similar issue and turned out my power steering fluid was low. Filling back up solved it.
Was your noise of the same nature? Induced by turn and ONLY when driving quite hard?

My steering fluid is topped up, but it still makes the noise 😞

Old 02-19-2022, 07:45 AM
61mga will become famous soon enough
before i started messing with something expensive like the power steering pump, i would buy some inexpensive belt dressing at the local parts store and apply some. then i would think about tightening the belt itself. all in the hopes that the belt, or pump pully is making the noise.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:57 AM
matt75321 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by LeStrat
Was your noise of the same nature? Induced by turn and ONLY when driving quite hard?

My steering fluid is topped up, but it still makes the noise 😞
sorry to hear that! Yes, my noise was only on a hard turn plus acceleration like getting going on a freeway on-ramp. It was resolved with the top off, but the next things the shop said they were going to do if not resolved was a power steering line replacement or reservoir. Other than that I would think the pump. Almost certainly I think it’s something in your power steering system

Old 02-19-2022, 09:44 AM
61mga will become famous soon enough
BTW, a squeal, not necessarily a whine, in association with an acceleration is indicative of a belt not a pump as there is no additional stress on a power steering pump once the wheel has been turned. ...usually...

Old 02-19-2022, 10:34 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Have you checked engine oil level? Oil pressure relief valve on the early cars get crazy noises on turns and certain RPMs.