Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Twin Plate Clutch for Vantage V8 ASM

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:56 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
Actually it's the Graziano clattering. It's clutch out in neutral, inconsistent, just the AC coming on will start it. There is alot of slop in the gearbox and the lightweight flywheel exacerbates the slop and makes it clatter. Mine does that also.
Right on...mine did the same after Tim did the installation in Aug. 2015-an increase in the idle speed fixed the vibration noise 99% of the time; now it's only on very hot days with the AC on that the noise is pronounced at idle.

If I had to do it over again, I'd lean toward the AM kit with the "in between" flywheel weight, which should dampen the resonance issue. YMMV

Old vs. New

Old 10-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Actually it's the Graziano clattering. It's clutch out in neutral, inconsistent, just the AC coming on will start it. There is alot of slop in the gearbox and the lightweight flywheel exacerbates the slop and makes it clatter. Mine does that also.
This is correct. The Twin Plate Unit doesn't chatter on the V12, so it isn't the clutch. When we first started doing these clutches I talked to a tech about it who said 'all those Graziano boxes rattle when they are hot.'

It is actually gear lash you're hearing, it is just being transmitted up the torque tube so it sounds like it is coming from further forward. What happens is that the uneven pulses of the engine firing rock the driveshaft back & forth ever so slightly at a certain RPM. By raising the idle just out of that range the noise goes away.

The lighter mass of the clutch & flywheel and movement of mass closer to the center of rotation reduces the damping effect that the heavier OEM setup has.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-06-2017, 05:30 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
If you remember, my clutch chatters like crazy. Aside from the gearbox clatter.

But, England just stated that the reason my car is stalling is the aftermarket lightweight flywheel, and that I have to go back to a stock clutch. Which doesn't make any sense, but that is what their engineer said after studying the 3 data scans that were taken yesterday.

John has lots of questions to ask them next week, they were already gone for the day when he got the response, But how is it any different with the AMR setup which is factory authorized?! Baffled.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:13 AM
Aston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the rough
Thank You for all the replies. now i can go ahead and enjoy the car. I was on the point to remove it all again and start looking for the noise.
Will a thicker/ different oil maybe lessen the noise?

Last edited by Aston40; 10-09-2017 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Add a line.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:35 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Aston40
Thank You for all the replies. now i can go ahead and enjoy the car. I was on the point to remove it all again and start looking for the noise.
Will a thicker/ different oil maybe lessen the noise?
If you are using the lighter gearbox oil (Castrol BOT 270A), then changing to a straight 75-90 weight gearbox oil might help.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:09 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Resurrecting this thread... I'm purchasing 09 vantage picking it up today... dealer quoted $4,400 + tax for the new AM performance clutch... lightweight flywheel etc... not sure what all that means but it's only $1100 more than the standard clutch job he quoted... seems like this is a no brainer... doors this give more life to clutch in addition to some performance gains? This is ASM.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
That's installed? If so that's a smoking deal and a no brainer. I'm not sure how they can even do it for that price.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:20 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
here's the email from the SA...
'Don
Been doing a bit more research and it seems that AML has a new AMR Performance Clutch set up. I read this was just recently available. Is this something that is available and can you offer the pricing upgrade for this?
Thanks.

"That actually seems like a good choice.
Total for that would be 4400+ tax for the replacement vs 3300 + tax.
Includes the addition of lightweight flywheel and the dual clutch vs a single plate…"

Seems legit and i think I'm going to schedule the car for it ASAP.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MRCW
here's the email from the SA...
'Don
Been doing a bit more research and it seems that AML has a new AMR Performance Clutch set up. I read this was just recently available. Is this something that is available and can you offer the pricing upgrade for this?
Thanks.

"That actually seems like a good choice.
Total for that would be 4400+ tax for the replacement vs 3300 + tax.
Includes the addition of lightweight flywheel and the dual clutch vs a single plate…"

Seems legit and i think I'm going to schedule the car for it ASAP.
Don Byrd?

If it is $4400 installed that's a pretty good price. We've been able to do some slightly better deals on our parts lately due to the XR moving.

I'm still on the fence about the smaller deck height on the AMR clutch - its' the same Valeo unit that is in the R8, I just don't know what the wear will be like compared to the taller/thicker AML part.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
Don Byrd?

If it is $4400 installed that's a pretty good price. We've been able to do some slightly better deals on our parts lately due to the XR moving.

I'm still on the fence about the smaller deck height on the AMR clutch - its' the same Valeo unit that is in the R8, I just don't know what the wear will be like compared to the taller/thicker AML part.
it is Don Byrd and I don't have a clue what your talking about...i think if its better and lasts longer and can be done by dealer then I'm good...is your product comparable in price and will dealers install or do you need an Indy to do it?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by MRCW
it is Don Byrd and I don't have a clue what your talking about...i think if its better and lasts longer and can be done by dealer then I'm good...is your product comparable in price and will dealers install or do you need an Indy to do it?
The AMR Twin Plate setup uses a shorter deck height clutch, with the same diameter. It's the same unit that is in the R8. They used this part because they didn't want to bring something out that wasn't compatibly with the 2015-on cars which have the bearing spacer cast into the torque tube.

The VelocityAP part is very, very similar but has a taller deck height, uses the same twin plate clutch unit that is in the V12 Vantage. What I'm uncertain about is the wear characteristics will be of the thinner unit the AMR uses versus the thicker AML unit we supply (which is an OEM part.)

Both parts will out-wear the OEM V8 Vantage, non-AMR replacement stuff.

Our product is comparable in price, and both Indys and main dealers have installed it. I know the folks at AM Orlando very well, we do quite a bit of work together.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-08-2017, 10:49 AM
My VAP/DAE clutch comes out Tuesday to be replaced with an original V8 clutch until the stalling is confirmed eliminated, and then they'll allow me to install the AMR unit.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
My VAP/DAE clutch comes out Tuesday to be replaced with an original V8 clutch until the stalling is confirmed eliminated, and then they'll allow me to install the AMR unit.
Have you discussed this with our tuning/tech support? Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The car should not be stalling as a result of this modification. Lots and lots of cars out there with ours + similar kits with no issues so it should be resolvable.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 11-08-2017, 10:58 AM
It is Gaydon's conclusion the flywheel is the cause of my stalling issue, that it is too light. I'm following what they direct me to do to fix the car.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Basic Sponsor
It is Gaydon's conclusion the flywheel is the cause of my stalling issue, that it is too light. I'm following what they direct me to do to fix the car.
That doesn't surprise me, usually manufacturers will point at anything non-OEM and say "there's your problem." The flywheel is barely lighter than theirs, which is the GT4 unit we used previously, and the clutch is marginally heavier than the AMR unit. There's little to no weight difference.

Have you spoken to our tech support line? Because this setup has been put on a LOT of other cars and this doesn't appear to be a 'normal' issue.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Twin Plate Clutch for Vantage V8 ASM