Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Twin Plate Clutch for Vantage V8 ASM

Old 10-01-2017, 04:14 PM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Twin Plate Clutch for Vantage V8 ASM

Hello All. Aston Martin newbie here.

I have been trying to find reviews of people's experience with the twin plate clutch mod for ASM equipped cars. There is a lot of positive feedback for this mod in the manual car, and maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't found reviews justifying it for the ASM (less popular) transmission. Is it worth the extra expense over a stock ASM clutch replacement?

Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
The weak link on the Vantage is the clutch .
There are reviews on here about the new twin plate clutch all are positive and say the twin plate is a major improvement .
The choice is wether you choose the new AM twin plate or the one developed/produced by Velocity .

I will be going twin when mine needs it . Havent decided if it will be AM or Velocity yet .

Old 10-01-2017, 04:58 PM
rocketboots999 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the quick reply. Is your car a manual or ASM?

Old 10-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
Im a purebred driver, its a stick . I wouldnt entertain an automatic, sportshift call it what you will .
No offence to those who own them but I just dont get it .

Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rocketboots999
Hello All. Aston Martin newbie here.

I have been trying to find reviews of people's experience with the twin plate clutch mod for ASM equipped cars. There is a lot of positive feedback for this mod in the manual car, and maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't found reviews justifying it for the ASM (less popular) transmission. Is it worth the extra expense over a stock ASM clutch replacement?

Any help for a newbie would be appreciated.
I had the Velocity AP Twin Plate Organic Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel installed on my ASM V8 Vantage Roadster last year. My clutch was starting to slip so I figured it was as good a time as any to upgrade.

I noticed an improvement over stock. First of all, when crawling around 3-5 mph, the car doesn't lurch anymore. Secondly, the shifts are faster and throttle response was improved. Finally -- and to me this is the best part -- when you're driving aggressively, you don't have to let off the accelerator as much when you upshift to get smooth shifts.

I highly recommend this upgrade along with the 200 cell sports cats and ECU tune. My only regret was not getting the mods done sooner! It's like I am driving a different car! Anyway, contact Stuart at Velocity AP and he'll hook you up.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
You also have to ask yourself who is going to install it, if you have somebody, great. If not, Steel Wings come highly recommended as an indi, which will install the DAE/VAP dual plate setup, but if you want authorized dealer service FC Kerbeck will only install the AMR factory version. Summit Hills will install either.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:34 AM
veijones is on a distinguished road
Hello all - At 98K miles I replaced my factory clutch in my '06 V8V with the twin plate & flywheel kit from VelocityAP. What a great improvement! Clutch feel is much lighter, the car revs quicker and just feels lighter. While I was at it, I put in the full performance kit (headers, cats, muffler & tune) also from VelocityAP. The car woke up in a big way and now pulls away from 4.7L models. It is still an easy daily driver but the pull from 4K up is absolutely a blast! I did all the work myself and it took about two days.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Here's a review from the Number 1 AM Tech in the Americas

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-flywheel.html

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-05-2017, 07:05 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
Would anyone be able to tell me on a three pedal setup if the clutch engagement is improved or is it still somewhat towards the end of the clutch pedal depress?
Thanks much.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:19 AM
Aston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the rough
I also replaced the single plate with a double plate. Clutch is much lighter, better for traffic driving. In 2nd gear the car just idles away without jerking. Could not do that with old clutch.
There is however one thing I have noticed. The noise from the propshaft resonating. It sound like the gearbox but it is not the gearbox. It take time to get use to.

Old 10-06-2017, 01:27 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Aston40
I also replaced the single plate with a double plate. Clutch is much lighter, better for traffic driving. In 2nd gear the car just idles away without jerking. Could not do that with old clutch.
There is however one thing I have noticed. The noise from the propshaft resonating. It sound like the gearbox but it is not the gearbox. It take time to get use to.
I would have to imagine you're actually hearing clutch chatter, as mine chatters like 2 old ladies that haven't seen each other in a decade, and forgot their hearing aides. I've had 2 techs in the car tell me, yea, they do that, but I've had the Post Sale Customer Ownership Manager in the car say "what's THAT?", the clutch chattering like 2 old biddies, and I demonstrated it several times.

It only chatters from engagement to 2000 rpm where it disappears, but the more load it's under the louder it is, and it's annoyingly loud cruising around the neighborhood in second gear on and off throttle at low rpm's.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:18 AM
Aston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the rough
I only have it when the car is stationary, and the clutch is not depressed.
It is there when the car is driven and hot. It is also random not all the time. I checked the clutch from underneath the car all bolts are tight. However on the lift you feel it in the gearbox. When driven it is quiet.

In neutral the sound go away at 1000 rpm. I wish I could let it idle at 1000rpm.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
That's clutch chatter, and it's coming from inside the clutch packs. The bolts don't have any effect on it.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:14 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Clutch chatter is common among marques with a lightened aftermarket flywheel.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM
Actually it's the Graziano clattering. It's clutch out in neutral, inconsistent, just the AC coming on will start it. There is alot of slop in the gearbox and the lightweight flywheel exacerbates the slop and makes it clatter. Mine does that also.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Twin Plate Clutch for Vantage V8 ASM