Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage 4.7 Muffler - OEM vs Sport

Old 12-16-2017, 08:01 AM
MRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of light
Vantage 4.7 Muffler - OEM vs Sport

I am looking for opinions on the differences between the OEM muffler and Sport Muffler.

Currently my car is set up with 200 cats and muffler delete straight pipes. Considering something a bit more discreet. I do not track the car and power is fine so i do not necessarily need more "power" or weight reduction, just interested in the tonal qualities of each... I kinda miss the ability to turn off fuse 22 for a change in sound...

What are your thoughts?

Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MRCW View Post
I am looking for opinions on the differences between the OEM muffler and Sport Muffler.

Currently my car is set up with 200 cats and muffler delete straight pipes. Considering something a bit more discreet. I do not track the car and power is fine so i do not necessarily need more "power" or weight reduction, just interested in the tonal qualities of each... I kinda miss the ability to turn off fuse 22 for a change in sound...

What are your thoughts?
The Sport muffler is a good middle ground between your current setup and much more discreet. You get to keep the valving, if that's what you want. IIRC, Karl-Franz did this and he liked it, so he'd be a good person to talk to.

Another good option is a VelocityAP exhaust, which comes in a few different flavors of volume so you can get the sound level you want. I personally prefer non-valved exhausts because I like the linear sound. Valved exhausts 'explode' with sound when they open, kinda like a turbo kicking in. The linear sound of non-valved exhausts is a nice complement to the naturally aspirated engine, I think.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:43 AM
brightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud ofbrightoncorgi has much to be proud of
Valved exhaust is nice when you don't want a sporty sound, but I kept racing the engine wanting to hear the full exhaust, so I ended up pulling the fuse for the valves. Now I can drive like a regular person and hear lovely exhaust (with VAP Decats).

Old 12-16-2017, 12:53 PM
smdzucladoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MRCW View Post

What are your thoughts?
Another option is the oem sport valve exhaust and then a remote relay kit. I have the remote coded to the garage door opener. Most of the time its wide open but when i leave the house early in the morning I go back to stock valve operation. This way you dont have to plug and unplug the fuse and it only cost $20

Old 12-19-2017, 12:51 AM
karlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, I'm not on the forum very frequently. Ever since I had the blood pump in my chest roto-rooter'd, I've been busy pursuing other endeavors/interests before my shot-clock runs out. This makes it difficult to keep up with some topics.

Nevertheless, I still have an "almost new" factory Sport Exhaust with less than 600 miles sitting in my storage unit. If you're interested, I might be willing to let it go for a fair price.

Bear in mind the the muffler is packaged in a 63x25x13 wood and cardboard crate which I suspect weighs around 60-70 lbs. so I imagine that shipping might be a bit expensive. But if you want to make a short drive over to Melbourne to come pick it up, that would save you some dough.

Here are some pics of the exhaust:

Last edited by karlfranz; 12-19-2017 at 05:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 PM
embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz View Post
Sorry, I'm not on the forum very frequently. Ever since I had the blood pump in my chest roto-rooter'd, I've been busy pursuing other endeavors/interests before my shot-clock runs out. ugh.
Karl,
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I can relate somewhat. A few years ago as I was taken to the hospital in the middle of the night suffering from chest pains and sweating profusely. Nothing like heart issues to realign ones priorities.
Gone are the grandiose plans, now its about staying alive.

I wish you the best.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:36 AM
karlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond reputekarlfranz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by embdenb View Post
Karl,
Sorry to hear about your health issues. I can relate somewhat. A few years ago as I was taken to the hospital in the middle of the night suffering from chest pains and sweating profusely. Nothing like heart issues to realign ones priorities.
Gone are the grandiose plans, now its about staying alive.

I wish you the best.
Thanx. Did you get your new exhaust?

Old 12-21-2017, 11:27 AM
embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Thanx. Did you get your new exhaust?
Wrong person. I am not looking for a new exhaust. (Smile)

Old 12-21-2017, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by embdenb View Post
Wrong person. I am not looking for a new exhaust. (Smile)
Yeah, Sorry. I thought I typed a new paragraph that started with:

"MRCW, Did you get..."

Must have hit undo without noticing.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
Redpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond reputeRedpants has a reputation beyond repute
So sorry to hear it, K-F, hoping all the best for you!

[email protected]
Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 AM
MRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of light
Sorry, I'm not on the forum very frequently. Ever since I had the blood pump in my chest roto-rooter'd, I've been busy pursuing other endeavors/interests before my shot-clock runs out. This makes it difficult to keep up with some topics.

Nevertheless, I still have an "almost new" factory Sport Exhaust with less than 600 miles sitting in my storage unit. If you're interested, I might be willing to let it go for a fair price.

Bear in mind the the muffler is packaged in a 63x25x13 wood and cardboard crate which I suspect weighs around 60-70 lbs. so I imagine that shipping might be a bit expensive. But if you want to make a short drive over to Melbourne to come pick it up, that would save you some dough.

Here are some pics of the exhaust:

KF...
Sent you a PM