Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Front windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:04 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Front windshield replacement

Is the only place to get the windshield replaced the dealer?

I am trying to avoid going to my local dealer, see previous post for reasons.

I have 2 chips and one is starting to spider.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:19 PM
zuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to beholdzuman is a splendid one to behold
Old 12-18-2017, 03:56 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
For my 2006 Vantage there was no aftermarket option. Dealer only. And given the cost... some regular glass shops won't touch it. ~$3200 (heated) and $600 install if I recall. Took weeks .. none in the US. Insurance in FL covered it 100%

The punch line.... they damaged THREE in shipment. 4th one arrived undamaged.

Chips and cracks under 6" can be filled and may be what you want to try first.

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 12-18-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:51 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
When I purchased my new 2014 V8V, the windshield had a few very subtle fine scratches in the glass. My OCD got the best of me and I had Miller Aston replace the glass.
The cost was about $3000 for the glass and $600 for installation.
While it was there they discovered a crack in the piano black waterfall. That was replaced under warranty and all transportation was covered.
They did a flawless job.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:21 PM
mjanis will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by randyb
Is the only place to get the windshield replaced the dealer?

I am trying to avoid going to my local dealer, see previous post for reasons.

I have 2 chips and one is starting to spider.
Run it through your insurance company. If they tell you to call an aftermarket company like Safelite, they will replace the windshield with an Aston Martin sourced windshield.

Why wouldn't they use a cheap aftermarket windshield you ask?

Nobody makes an aftermarket windshield for AM's. The production numbers are too low and it isn't financially justified to manufacture such low volumes.

So anyplace you go, you can feel confident that what they are replacing it with is the real deal.

my 2 cents.
Mark

Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Called Safelite they told me they would do it, even created a claim w/my ins company. After not hearing from them for 2 weeks, called them back and they told me so sorry we do not do Aston's, they said they tried to call me, but I am not buying it, also they still had the claim open w/my ins co.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
A Good Resolution for a Nasty Problem

Safelite replaced my "stoned" w/s at their Redford, MI headquarters a couple years ago. They used it as a teaching opportunity for their techs, about 10 attended.

I asked them to install 4 slightly over sized screws to solve a rattle problem I was having with the HEVAC outlets at the w/s base. When they got to that step in the R/R process they asked me into the shop and I did it myself.

I was in and out in approximately 2 hrs. Inside and out clean as a whistle, you would never know it had been replaced.

Insurance, Grundy Collector Car, paid 100%. The customer was very happy.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:16 PM
So I called USAA and they called Safelite and now Safelite is saying they will work with who ever I choose to replace the windshield and get this, they say they never told me they don't work on Aston's and that they were waiting on the windshield, which they admitted they did not order. So now I am trying to find anyone but the local dealer to do the work.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
I had a stone chip right next to the passenger side A-pillar that was starting to crack. I called Allstate and got an adjuster to look at it. The adjuster said they had no estimates for a replacement on their computer system and scheduled an appointment with Safelite -- the adjuster told me that Safelite will write up the estimate and invoice Allstate directly.

A couple of days later the Safelite tech arrived at my house and I took him straight to the garage. I noticed his face turn when he saw the car and the badge. He told me that they don't work on Aston Martins.

Allstate made me go through hoops and get estimates from 3 "authorized" repair shops. None of them would do it. Ended up going with a shop the dealership recommended. The estimate was around $5,000. Allstate told me to go ahead and get it repaired and submit the invoice and they will refund me. I said hell no and that they should cut me a check for the estimate and that the shop will invoice them for overage. After some back and forth they agreed.

2 years later and the replacement OEM windshield is still perfect. No rattles. No leaks. It was a pain in the butt dealing with Allstate but in the end I was happy with the results.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:10 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
What is the current procedure?

I was told that after my w/s job was completed the procedure was as follows:

-AM's parts dept. orders all replacements.
-After the parts arrive Service schedules the car and Safelite techs into the dealers service facility to perform the R&R.

My dealership ownership changed recently, do not know if the process remains today. The new owner, David Fischer, is a giant in the auto business with 35 franchises and multiple related auto businesses. A real player, gave Trump a $quarter million for his inauguration party, sits on several boards of directors and was nominated to be the Moroccan Ambassador.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:53 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by programmatore

Allstate made me go through hoops and get estimates from 3 "authorized" repair shops. None of them would do it. Ended up going with a shop the dealership recommended. The estimate was around $5,000. Allstate told me to go ahead and get it repaired and submit the invoice and they will refund me. I said hell no and that they should cut me a check for the estimate and that the shop will invoice them for overage. After some back and forth they agreed.

Had the exact same BS from my Allstate rep until I dug my heels in.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Just had the windshield on my wife’s Jeep replaced. 30 minutes and $150 dollars. Tipped the two installers $20 each.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:04 AM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RolexDaytona1
Had the exact same BS from my Allstate rep until I dug my heels in.
Yeah, it was ridiculous. Under $200, sure, I'll pay out of pocket and file paperwork to get reimbursement. $5,000? I won't get the work started until I get a check and the check clears. I didn't want Allstate denying my claim for whatever reason and I'm left with a $5,000 tab!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 AM
So, I took the car to dimmit's and I was a little late getting there (8:45) and windshield company coming at noon. Had to wait an hour for a ride to work and had to call them twice for updates, second time at 3:50 and was told the car would not be ready and I needed to pick up in the morning at 9a. Was more than a little hot then, they did not offer me a ride or anything. So instead of dropping off my rental and going there I called and was told they were having trouble with the trim re-install and car would be ready at 10.
Called back at 10:30 and was told the car was being washed (it was not washed), so I drop off my rental and go to the dealership and low and behold no car. Found out trim was still being installed, needless to say I did not get out of there till almost 12:30.

Here is another reason not to take your car there, I asked them to check the amplifier and see if it was bad. The tech told me the checked the MOST ring and found nothing was talking (which I knew from my last visit), they did NOT check the amp and they charged me a $250 diagnostic fee.

And to top everything off, so of the trim was not installed correctly and water was coming in the drivers window, so I had to have them fix that.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:01 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Yeeeouch! Some of the horror stories about the "service" side of the business would be unbelievable if in a TV show, but in real life, we all know better! Too common.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front windshield replacement