Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY Color Change Wrapping your Aston

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:54 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
*** this looks nice ��

Old 03-15-2018, 12:31 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
You are a brave man...congrats.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:35 AM
hawaiianvantage has a spectacular aura abouthawaiianvantage has a spectacular aura abouthawaiianvantage has a spectacular aura about
I've had some experience in wrapping ever since 3M came out with Scotchcal in the 80's. I've done window trim and interior pieces with tight radiuses and tricky corners. Can I offer a suggestion to wrapping the fenders?

I'm assuming you started the wrap from the hood edge and worked toward the wheelwell opening. That's working the vinyl from a large area to a "point" where everything bunches up. It might be better to start from the wheelwell opening and work your way out towards the door, hood and headlight. That way you can stretch the vinyl outwards rather than having it bunch in the middle.

I've never wrapped a complete car and not sure if this method works but I give you credit for doing it alone because it's not easy. Good luck.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:08 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hawaiianvantage
I've had some experience in wrapping ever since 3M came out with Scotchcal in the 80's. I've done window trim and interior pieces with tight radiuses and tricky corners. Can I offer a suggestion to wrapping the fenders?

I'm assuming you started the wrap from the hood edge and worked toward the wheelwell opening. That's working the vinyl from a large area to a "point" where everything bunches up. It might be better to start from the wheelwell opening and work your way out towards the door, hood and headlight. That way you can stretch the vinyl outwards rather than having it bunch in the middle.

I've never wrapped a complete car and not sure if this method works but I give you credit for doing it alone because it's not easy. Good luck.
I've tried starting at the hood edge, the side panel, and just above the headlamp and always got bunching on the edges of the panels either under the headlights or where the panel recesses and goes into a point at the very tip and has a curvy edge as well

so not only does the panel twist and is very curvy, but it narrows too...

Its a ridiculously curvy panel, I think I will need a lot of heatgun to get it to conform properly. I am going to try to tackle it again tonight with my helper, success or progress will happen at a minimum

as you know, wrapping anything curvy is a pain! Thank you for the tips!

Old 03-17-2018, 11:49 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
alright I figured it out... started on the front of the wheel well, used lots of heatgun and help, still had a tiny 5" portion of bunching way back in the middle of the hood but, it was manageable and doesn't look too bad! Heatgun and an extra set of hands is a must for the fender so you can heat, then contour the film and glass it out over the curved parts

finally got it covered!

cutting around the headlamp

came out great, don't worry I'm going to wrap the headlamp washer as well

as you can see I am inproving my edges! Grill will cover most of this up but it looks good

did my best work on the wheel wells

completed pic

looking good

strakes with inlays, came out ok, not perfect but If i was to do again in another location where I could jack up the car properly I'd remove them to make life much easier

Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 PM
hawaiianvantage has a spectacular aura abouthawaiianvantage has a spectacular aura abouthawaiianvantage has a spectacular aura about
Great effort, everything will be easier from here.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:45 PM
Ok finally got some time to start working on this again, its like a second job to do this!

So I did the other side sill, was really easy other than cleaning underneath the car and getting the knifeless tape on the underside. Edges and everything I did were so much better than the other side sill... the perfectionist in me wants to do it again... I won't until the whole car is wrapped, I'm quite sick of not driving !

tucked under the weather stripping looks great

corners and edges looking better

Then today I did the big kahuna, one of the rear quarterpanels, used 115 inches of material and obviously trimmed off a lot. The application was actually really easy, compared to the front fender. I have totally figured out the application part, but now am struggling more with the finishing and cutting. Application of this big piece took maybe an hour including prep - cleaning and taping. The finishing part took me two hours! I had issues with the trim at the top and along the window making it look nice was hard as you can't tuck the wrap under any weather stripping very easily and I didn't remove the chrome trim.
Pics

Best to put tape on opposite edges so when you cut you cut gently and don't cut on any paint

application was pretty easy no bunching at all!

here is it fully wrapped

rear end wrapped part

The biggest pain of the finishing touches was the pillar on the window side and the area around the chrome window trim, if you can take this off, do it! Will save you an hour at least, the rest of it was pretty straight forward, tucking the stuff into the weather stripping on the door was easy and the rear end, tail lights and hatch was surprisingly easy as well. Knifeless tape is key for the gutter on the roof of the car, make sure its pressed down very hard and the vinyl gets applied in there very well!

roof was easy with knifeless tape, just make sure your vinyl is jammed into that crevice very well!

door trim was easy

wheel well was easy

rear end

looking good!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:07 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Nice job....I am not sure I would have the patience...

Did you leave the chip tape on the car behind the door or put new on after the wrap?

After this wrap...you will need a vacation to celebrate!!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Aldv
Nice job....I am not sure I would have the patience...

Did you leave the chip tape on the car behind the door or put new on after the wrap?

After this wrap...you will need a vacation to celebrate!!
yeah I left the chip tape on, it goes over it real nicely and is in good shape

definitely will need a nice long road trip!

Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Really enjoying this thread. We're going to try to wrap one of our work vehicles in a week and I'm having my guys follow this thread for tips and such.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
nice job but don't do the headlight washer cover: keep it as it is since it compliments the headlamp lines better from a contrast perspective. my 2 cents :-)

Old 03-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by sdekoning
nice job but don't do the headlight washer cover: keep it as it is since it compliments the headlamp lines better from a contrast perspective. my 2 cents :-)
Interesting, I'll have to test it out to see which way I like better, it is removable after all!

Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 PM
Alright since i had time, I did the other front fender instead of the other rear quarter panel... yeah its still far and away the toughest panel on the vehicle by a long shot. Takes forever to do the finishing touches perfectly but I did just that this time! Edges, corners, seams everything is fantastic. There was also no bunching this time at all, I figured out how to use the heat gun to avoid that sort of thing, very helpful! Also another tool you really really really need for this job is called a micro squeegee, I'll link one here and in the first post. Since the car is put together so tightly you really need something like this to help jam the material between gaps and in the little crevices its a life saver and I wouldn't be able to do this as well without it! https://amzn.to/2DXuJpC

So yeah this took about 5 hours in all but it is done nearly perfect.

one very curvy piece

no bunching!

my corner game and edges was really good here

did the rubber seam between the fender and the hood perfect, also the area around the headlamp, micro squeegee is ideal for these parts

from above

side view

3 panels left, almost finished!

hopefully i can "wrap up" this project by the end of next weekend!

Soon as its done going to hit up Rich for those clear side markers and i'll be all finished for driving season!

Old 03-26-2018, 02:38 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Massive job, well done!

Graze

Old 03-26-2018, 04:31 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Very impressive

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Color Change Wrapping your Aston