Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DIY Color Change Wrapping your Aston

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
cant wait to see an outside pic, in its true colour

Old 04-03-2018, 11:15 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cadman
cant wait to see an outside pic, in its true colour
I took it out yesterday to go to Home Depot, its a very light silvery color, looks awesome even in grey skies... kind of like a shark skin... IF it ever stops being cloudy and rainy and crappy here (probably not for another 2 weeks at least )I'll get a pic of it in the sunshine! The pictures I have posted were LED tubes warm incandescent temperature (3k) so it looks wierd

Originally Posted by Aldv
SONIES----WOW, just WOW! I have enjoyed your car and pictures as they were completed.

I did wonder...on a wrap do you just wash or must you wax etc... like regular paint? I have no clue.

Good Job---- Duke
Thanks! Yes you can treat it as regular paint, this is a matte finish so no wax just soap and water, you can ceramic coat it but I'm not sure I'm going to do that since there are some panels I'll probably redo in the future as it is

you can put PPF over it, with a gloss finish you can even wax it or polish it

Old 04-04-2018, 07:17 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Great job Sonies. Not for me tho, I have a tough time getting Saran Wrap on the salad bowl. Looking forward to the daylight pics.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:36 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BMW-North
Great job Sonies. Not for me tho, I have a tough time getting Saran Wrap on the salad bowl. Looking forward to the daylight pics.
me too... looking like two more weeks of cloudy bull**** at a minimum

Old 04-05-2018, 09:01 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
This looks great! And I'm glad the front bumper was a breeze, can't wait to see outdoor pics

It looks like your vinyl was very easy to work with, was it a pressure activated material over heat activated? The 3M I've played around with was very, very touchy - once you got the heat going and layed it down, you pretty much ruined the wrap if you moved or readjusted

I bought some Vivid wrap this time to do my grill strakes, as I'm pretty annoyed with how dirty the plastic of the grill gets. A gloss black wrap will give it some pop and a bit more hydrophobic properties so water just beads right off the grill, not looking dull. It's pressure activated, and once you've got it layed down just hit it with the heat gun and voila

Old 04-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by lilseevs
This looks great! And I'm glad the front bumper was a breeze, can't wait to see outdoor pics

It looks like your vinyl was very easy to work with, was it a pressure activated material over heat activated? The 3M I've played around with was very, very touchy - once you got the heat going and layed it down, you pretty much ruined the wrap if you moved or readjusted

I bought some Vivid wrap this time to do my grill strakes, as I'm pretty annoyed with how dirty the plastic of the grill gets. A gloss black wrap will give it some pop and a bit more hydrophobic properties so water just beads right off the grill, not looking dull. It's pressure activated, and once you've got it layed down just hit it with the heat gun and voila
Yes I used Avery Dennison SW900 Matte Silver Metallic https://amzn.to/2GByBOY

It is pressure sensitive, air release film and was very easy to use and repositionable. I have heard that matte films are harder to work with but it didn't seem too bad, especially once I figured out how to apply it properly and where and when to heat it.

Your Grille slats aren't aluminum? Mine are, or are you referring to the part that holds the slats in place? I wouldn't imagine wrap would stick very well to plastic, but metal it definitely does!

Old 04-05-2018, 09:05 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
you'd be surprised most wraps these days will stick to anything. i had played around w/wrapping the stock, plastic mirror covers. also my rear lower valance that's silver plastic stock is wrapped and has been looking great for well over a yr.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:01 PM
CJPatel has a spectacular aura aboutCJPatel has a spectacular aura about
This is amazing, good work. I did a clear bra install and it took 8 hours, this is intense!

Old 05-30-2018, 06:57 PM
I made a video for those who hate to read, sorry its so long but I had a lot to say!

Old 06-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Denny 6.53 is an unknown quantity at this point
I saw your pic at the gas station. The car looks great. I followed your posts, and admired the amount of work it required.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Thanks Denny!