Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Gear Selector Cable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 AM
Aston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the rough
Gear Selector Cable

I had to replace the gear cable yesterday. I think 12 years and heat was the cause. It also could have taken a knock during the clutch change. There is about 15mm broken off from the white sleeve.
Gear selection was bad so when I took it out this is what i found.

All new cables in and ready to go. This job took about 11/2 hours.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:59 AM
Aston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the roughAston40 is a jewel in the rough
Hallo Richard.

No you do not drop the box. Remove only the center section of the exhaust.

I will post a complete write up on thursday.

Also with my little tool I made to remove the *****.

Regards

Old 03-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Hallo Everyone.

We all know that Richard can strip just about the whole car, but I an going to cover the whole swap out so that every body can get a idea.

I removed the center section of the exhaust. The I un clipped the ball joints from the cables with my home made tool. It is

It is 3mm thick and 28mm wide and 200mm long. The 30deg bend is 60mm from the end and the slot is 10mm wide by 20mm deep. This fits perfectly to undo the joints on the gearbox.
The I removed the cables from the u grooves on top of the box.

Inside: Move seats forward. Remove the cover from the rear of the seats. Unscrew the Aluminium rail.Also just loosen the 8mm head bolt. No need to remove the Alu rail. Lift it slightly and move the arm rest backwards and up. Take it out. Now you will see two more screws that hold the center console. Remove screws. Now push down firmly on the gearknob and rotate ANTI-Clockwise. The gear **** is now loose and be carefull of the center console the corners are sharp and will damage the leather close by. Remove all the wire plugs. Never mind the positions. They can only go back in their respective places.Fold the foam over and it is all there.
Undo the ball joints. Now tie a string to the Right hand cable. Remove the clip that holds the cable in place. Now someone under the car must pull the cable straight back and then down. Tie the string to the new cable and pull it in. Pull upwards as well as in this selector cable like to dive down during the feed process. Once done insert the clip to hold it. Tie the string on to the next cable and pull it out. While it is out push the selector cable into its U bracket and attach the joint by pushing it on by hand.
Now feed the shifter cable into the car. Once in fit the clip to hold it. Fit both the ball joints in the car.

Fit the shifter cable to the U bracket and clip the joint in.

Almost done!!

When the cables go in make sure you they are in the loose mode.

Like the one in the bottom picture. Pull the spring back and push the red square piece all the way to the top. You will see the cable has extra play or movement.

Once both are like the preset stage you get a person in the car to hold the shift lever in the middle! Left to right and top to bottom. I just hold four fingers close to the ball and align the lever.When you are sure it is in the middle push the red squares down firmly. See top cable in picture. The spring will move forward and lock the cable in its working length. Feel if all feels fine and then you are done. Reassemble the car. You are done Good luck.

Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 PM
Ok next time I will write 1 hour and 30 minutes

Regards

Kobus

Old 08-09-2018, 03:41 PM
malahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to beholdmalahhaor is a splendid one to behold
at least it doesn't completely brake off and leave you stranded like on 997 carrera

Old 08-10-2018, 12:34 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Kobus was there any issue with the set up adjustment? I'm told that if one finds it hard to say find First gear then the cables need adjusting?
pity you live in that province I would love to watch you do some work on this car.

Rich when can we see a tube on spark plug removal on your Redpants site?...