Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage gas cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Vantage gas cap

On my recent trip to Arizona, when I stoped to fill up with gas. As I unscrewed my gas cap, it came apart in about 4 parts. The top metal part that you turn, the bottom that threads into the filler neck, and the metal ring that attaches the tether. I reassemble all of the parts, and screwed it together. I drove to the local Aston Martin dealer in Scottsdale, they did not have a fuel cap in stock. So they checked my work and said I assembled it correctly so far it's staying together. Any one else have this problem?
Ron

Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Ron, Nice work. I have not had this problem but wonder if anyone else knows of another brand of gas cap - Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo?? - that might be more readily obtainable if this problem were to occur.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 AM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Ron,
Is your cap the polished aluminum type or simply the plastic one?

Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by larryg
Ron,
Is your cap the polished aluminum type or simply the plastic one?
The aluminum polished type.
Ron

Old 02-24-2018, 05:39 PM
larryg is on a distinguished road
Thanks Ron
Strange cars but surely beautiful

Old 05-15-2018, 07:55 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough

So i had a similar experience today... went to pull the gas cap up from the \"cap holder" and it came apart.... the spring and plastic part pictured are all i have. I think something went down the fuel line though. Can anyone verify if there is another piece? I cant find a diagram or similar post anywhere...

Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Yes, you're missing something. The valve that looks like a 3-legged table fits on the spring to seal in the center of the cap.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:25 PM
BDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the roughBDubbs is a jewel in the rough

These are the same part... it has the 3 legs on it, just couldn't see it from the way i took the pic.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:21 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Nope, that's the outer. You need the small one that fits in the center of that. Its roughly the diameter of the spring. 8-10mm in diameter.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:53 AM
Ok, thanks- much appreciated!. Looks like ill tear into to fuel filler line... already checked the gas tank, didnt see anything. Must be in the line from filler cap to tank....

Old 05-16-2018, 08:42 AM

More like 14mm diameter

Old 05-16-2018, 11:39 AM
Thanks J DoubleU!!

Old 05-19-2018, 12:57 PM
Found the missing piece!

I opened up the gas tank with help from Rich and his "how too". (Not gonna lie - i was a little terrified openening the gas tank...) Didnt see the missing part in the tank. So i knew it was stuck in the filler neck. I bought this endoscope on Amazon for 40 bucks. Connected it to my phone and sent it down. I was able to see it about 2 ft. Down the pipe. Brought it back out and attached the hook piece shown in the pic and attached some 3M double sided tape to it. Sent it back down and made contact with the tape and the plastic piece - it stuck to it and came out on the first try! Re-assembled the gas cap and put it all back together good as new. Saved a trip to the dealership and im sure a lot of $$$ with a 40.00 purchase! Huge thanks to Rich and J doubleU.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:04 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Thank you for the intel, please do a thorough write-up for the community.
I am pleased to have given you your first REP POINTS-, you were a virgin, with 0. You went from 0 to 3 with my click
Please return the favor if I ever add anything of value to you.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 05-19-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Nice, now if you want to drill the hole larger in the hinge of the fuel door it should not happen again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vantage gas cap