Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

How to remove rear speaker grill/cover on Aston DBS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:12 AM
gahbouch is an unknown quantity at this point
How to remove rear speaker grill/cover on Aston DBS

Hello all.

I was hoping someone could tell me how to remove the rear speaker grill/cover on my 2009 Aston DBS. It should be the same as the DB9.

Worth mentioning my car doesn't have the B&O speakers, but that should not make a difference.

Many thanks

Edit: Here is a picture I found online for reference. The speaker grills I am referring to are visible here in black beneath the window.

Last edited by gahbouch; 08-23-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
I apologize.. I missed the message you sent me. Here's a screen shot from a previous post that explains it all better than I could.

Let me know if you need any other help. It's a good idea to get some new plastic pry tools if you don't already have them as not to mark up your beautiful leather.
Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170814-233920~01.png
Views:	167
Size:	990.9 KB
ID:	511315  
Old 08-23-2017, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by speedracer800
I apologize.. I missed the message you sent me. Here's a screen shot from a previous post that explains it all better than I could.

Let me know if you need any other help. It's a good idea to get some new plastic pry tools if you don't already have them as not to mark up your beautiful leather.
Good luck!
Thank you for taking the time to help. I was referring to the speaker grills on the sides where the rear doors would be if there were any. I did not realize DB9s had a central speaker as well. My DBS has leather running the entire length of that piece.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gahbouch
Thank you for taking the time to help. I was referring to the speaker grills on the sides where the rear doors would be if there were any. I did not realize DB9s had a central speaker as well. My DBS has leather running the entire length of that piece.
Well not quite what you were looking for but I knew Eric had some info. Take a couple shots of yours, and then maybe someone will have ideas for the panel to come out.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Well not quite what you were looking for but I knew Eric had some info. Take a couple shots of yours, and then maybe someone will have ideas for the panel to come out.
Would you know what Eric's forum name is? maybe I'll bother him next
will do, thank you again for your help!

Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
On the Vantage, the grill itself is easy, you can just pry it off.

Getting under the panel to remove the speaker is another story.... I still haven't figured out out to remove the panel that the grill snaps unto.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:18 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gahbouch
Would you know what Eric's forum name is? maybe I'll bother him next
will do, thank you again for your help!
Sorry, its Speedracer800. He already replied.

If Batman's post helps you, and then you figure the process out, obviously there is not a previous posting to show it. Please share that process with pictures when you figure it out. A lot of newcomers come on here to try and figure a problem out, then never respond again, until there is another issue. Just asking that you help others out who may have this issue in the future.

Last edited by SheriffDep; 08-23-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 PM
1. Didn't see your pic above
2. Your DBS appears to not have the sub in the center section like the pictures Speedracer800 provided. So not sure where the sub is on the DBS>

3. It is possible that the grill covers will pop out, then likely the speaker has screws holding it in. BUT....... that whole little panel may also pry out, look at the door sill area for that panel, you might pry a bit and see if its a pressure fitting, then that should help with the speaker grille also. Just some ideas.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 PM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Sorry for all the confusion. I understand now that you're trying to remove the side interior panel to gain access to the speaker. I have done this and have lots of pictures etc I'll post for you.. I'll get them located and will try to get up for you later today.. Hopefully.

It involves getting the rear seat back out and the "scariest" part is popping the fasteners loose on the upholstered panel the speaker is located within itself.. However you don't need to loosen the Alcantara wrapped piece that fits from the "A" pillar on back (over the door window).. So that's a very good thing because it's the most challenging piece of all the interior panels.

Let me get back to you soon..

Eric

Last edited by speedracer800; 08-23-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Here you go.. These are the best pics I could find. Hopefully they'll help a little along the way.

Rear seat bottoms just pull up. Held with strong velcro basically.

Little filler piece between rear seat back and seat bottom just pops out. Held in place with pretty sturdy clips. Then you'll see a couple fasteners that hold the rear seat back in place. Once those are removed, the seat back comes loose by pushing straight up on the seat back towards the rear parcel shelf. The seat back is just held in with a couple "drop in" type clips on the top / back side of the seat back. No need to mess with the rear seat belt shoulder mechanism because you can just leave the seat back in the car.. You only need to get it out of the way really.

This is where my memory goes a bit foggy but I think at this point you'll see what it's going to take to get that speaker panel loose.. Probably a couple fasteners and some plastic push clips ("xmas tree" type clips).

I'd recommend getting replacement clips from the dealer for reinstall of everything.. It'll help guarantee a tight and rattle free finish. When I took the interior apart in my db9 I replaced every single plastic clip.. They're pennies each.

Please let me know if you need any other help. If you get stuck, I'm sure I can dig deep in my brain and recover the answer.

Not a very scary job.. Just take your time and it's no big deal at all.

Attached Images       

Last edited by speedracer800; 08-23-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:37 PM
Wow.. Just realized you have a DBS, Not DB9.. Can't believe I missed that. I've never had the rear seat out of my DBS. But I'd assume it's very similar.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Batman-76
On the Vantage, the grill itself is easy, you can just pry it off.

Getting under the panel to remove the speaker is another story.... I still haven't figured out out to remove the panel that the grill snaps unto.
I read that somewhere on the forum. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case for the DBS/DB9. I tried prying it off but it was strongly resisting to the point where I thought i would snap it before it would pop out.

I might be wrong and might have not pulled hard enough or in the correct location

Old 08-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by speedracer800
Here you go.. These are the best pics I could find. Hopefully they'll help a little along the way.

Rear seat bottoms just pull up. Held with strong velcro basically.

Little filler piece between rear seat back and seat bottom just pops out. Held in place with pretty sturdy clips. Then you'll see a couple fasteners that hold the rear seat back in place. Once those are removed, the seat back comes loose by pushing straight up on the seat back towards the rear parcel shelf. The seat back is just held in with a couple "drop in" type clips on the top / back side of the seat back. No need to mess with the rear seat belt shoulder mechanism because you can just leave the seat back in the car.. You only need to get it out of the way really.

This is where my memory goes a bit foggy but I think at this point you'll see what it's going to take to get that speaker panel loose.. Probably a couple fasteners and some plastic push clips ("xmas tree" type clips).

I'd recommend getting replacement clips from the dealer for reinstall of everything.. It'll help guarantee a tight and rattle free finish. When I took the interior apart in my db9 I replaced every single plastic clip.. They're pennies each.

Please let me know if you need any other help. If you get stuck, I'm sure I can dig deep in my brain and recover the answer.

Not a very scary job.. Just take your time and it's no big deal at all.
Thank you for all the help. Those pictures are intimidating.

Firstly, I'm only trying to get the speaker cover off, not trying to get to the actual speaker. I was hoping I could pop it off like in the vantage, but it seems likely that I will have to remove panels as you kindly showed in your photographs.

When you took off that panel with the speaker (panel still attached in your 4th picture), did you notice how the speaker cover was attached? was it attached to the actual speaker or simply the panel. if the later is the case then that must mean it should pop off and I am doing something wrong, which I am hoping for.

Also my DBS doesn't have the rear seats so the removal process of the rear seating/shelf area will be slightly different, so I need to research the process.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 AM
1. Didn't see your pic above
2. Your DBS appears to not have the sub in the center section like the pictures Speedracer800 provided. So not sure where the sub is on the DBS>

3. It is possible that the grill covers will pop out, then likely the speaker has screws holding it in. BUT....... that whole little panel may also pry out, look at the door sill area for that panel, you might pry a bit and see if its a pressure fitting, then that should help with the speaker grille also. Just some ideas.
I'm not the world's most delicate man, I prefer not pulling on items without the necessary knowledge.

I will wait a few more days to see if I get the correct answer.

As for the sub, it is strange that is is not in the same location. It's surprising AM could find enough space in the cabin to fit it somewhere else.
DB9 GT and later DB9 variants do not have that speaker grill either

Old 12-04-2021, 07:21 AM
suda695 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did anyone manage to take the rear section out of their DBS with some pictures? I have one similar to gahbouch and was hoping someone would be able to at least get me started in the right direction with this one.

Cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.