Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

22s on a DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 PM
Alien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud of
22s on a DB9

Please hear me out. I know this isn't the ideal way to make my first post on here. I've browsed these forums numerous times before when looking for other things for other cars as it tends to come up in google search results.

I've always loved DB9s and now have a very real opportunity to own one. It's a 2005 with 37k miles for $42k. Currently working with the dealer for more info and pictures.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the wheels. Design wise, I like them. Size wise, not so much, and it seems like most people here feel that way with anything over a 20". My question is, just how much would they hurt the ride quality? *edit to add* Is there any way during a PPI to tell if it has been lowered?

I do plan on driving this as an almost daily driver to and from work 14 miles each way. I'm okay with a bit of a harsher ride. Current cars include a JCW Mini Cooper S (with aftermarket suspension) and E46 M3 (CSL clone) on 19s. I just don't want some thing that's unbearable as I'm not in an immediate position to replace wheels and tires right away. Plus we plan on driving it from the dealer in Los Angeles to Houston.

Thanks
- Gary R

Last edited by Alien32; 04-19-2018 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Picture added
Old 04-20-2018, 12:05 AM
Graze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to allGraze is a name known to all
Gary

I reckon you will have to drive it

every chance the existing shocks are tired too which wont help - but may give you an avenue to adjust the ride if needed

they look good

best of luck

Graeme

Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
I would replace wheels and sell the ones that came with the car. What other cars could they fit?

Old 04-20-2018, 05:38 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I think the wheels look OK - I had 20's on a Vantage - the ride sucked till I switched to PSS Michelin and then it was OK.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:38 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
In the picture it looks like it sits higher than normal, but that could just be the angle.

At 37K miles make sure the coils have been replaced; if not, factor that into the price. That's around the time the originals usually start to fail.

Great color!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:20 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
I would replace wheels and sell the ones that came with the car. What other cars could they fit?
+ 1 with brightoncorgi There are plenty of wheels (19 or 20's) to replace those. I believe you'll be pleased you did. Work it right and the cost may be a wash to you. First thing is the mechanical condition of the 05 DB9. Make sure the wheels are the least of your concern. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Redpants
The coils don't tend to fail.
The struts do, but that's got little to do with mileage and is mostly due to lack of driving the car on a regular basis.
I think he was referring to the coils in the engine.

Personally not a big fan of all wheel and little sidewall. 35's about as short a sidewall as I want to go.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:42 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
22" rims on a DB9? just no... I don't think they would even fit! Unless you had rubberband tires and I would think the ride quality would be pretty bad at that point

Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Alien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud ofAlien32 has much to be proud of
I appreciate the advice from everyone. As I said, I didn't go out looking for a DB9 with 22's, but it's one of the few I've found in the price range and in green or blue. BTW, the FAQ here has some great info for common issues to look for. Thank y'all for putting that together.

Originally Posted by 07sportspack
First thing is the mechanical condition of the 05 DB9. Make sure the wheels are the least of your concern. Good luck!
This does speak volumes to me. I am simply not in a position to buy the car plus taxes, plus extended warranty, plus fix any mechanical issues, plus drop a few grand on wheels and tires. The initial cost and repairs I'm prepared for. I don't want to bet on being able to sell or trade the current ones since I don't know their value nor, as it seems, the demand for these. I already have a project car and racecar that are already demanding their share of the pot. Someone did bring up a good point about trying to find other makes that they may fit so that's definitely an idea.

Originally Posted by Graze
I reckon you will have to drive it
I think this is really what it boils down to. I will have to drive it to determine if it's 'livable' for 3 years til all the mechanicals are sorted and it's paid off. I'll just make sure not to post exterior pictures of it in fear of getting run off

Link to more pictures.
https://www.blacklabelautofirm.com/i...tails/41470075

Now if they can just hurry up and send me higher resolution pictures and the service records. Anyone near Riverside want to pay them a visit?

Thanks again
- Gary R

Old 04-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I've been a Vantage guy (5 of them) - before my second Vantage I drove two DB9's - both drove like work out crap, however, both had shrunken leather and wood trim that was sun damaged - that car looks almost perfect on the inside, and the price is extremely reasonable. If I was looking for a daily driver (I have a Chevy Cruze to supplement my V12S), I'd seriously consider that car at that price and do a pre-purchase inspection and if anything is found use that to negotiate a reduction. My guess is that with the appearance and the previous owner investing in those wheels, it might be a well taken care of gem. In October when my lease is up on the Cruze, I'd consider a used DB9 or older Vantage as a daily driver wheer I wouldn't be so **** on scratches or keeping it looking new and instead look for a sound base at a good price - that would be a car I'd consider after my lease is up if I decide against leasing a daily driver again.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:55 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Link to more pictures.
https://www.blacklabelautofirm.com/i...tails/41470075

Now if they can just hurry up and send me higher resolution pictures and the service records. Anyone near Riverside want to pay them a visit?

Thanks again
- Gary R[/QUOTE]
I'm close enough to have a look @ it. I see they don't have the VIN posted?
Depending on the additional information and pictures I could provide a simple walk around with notes, or a full PPI dependent of your needs.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Wow yeah I was half kidding. If you want to take a quick look at it, that'd be awesome. Don't want you to go too far out of your way. Nothing in depth, just your overall thougths and a few pictures or notes of any abnormal things would be fantastic.

VIN is SCFAD01A85GA02744
Carfax shows a lot of records for the first owner, a little for the second, but a gap for the third or fourth.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:41 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Lovely car / color combo! Will be happy to trade your rims for these 19" DB9 OEM beauties https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1&d=1497642904 if you go for sa purchase. They'll look fab on your car!

Old 04-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Well, it doesn't look like it was meant to be. Called the dealer for an update on getting pictures and to schedule a PPI. Apparently they sold / auctioned to another dealer last Friday. Seems like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

Thanks again for everyone's input. The search continues.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Saved me a trip, I almost went for a drive early yesterday but something came up. The car lot was questionable, I've never seen it but their reviews online were from the last month or so. Even though they said in business for 20+years. I doubt you missed a gem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 22s on a DB9