Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Interior surround assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 AM
AMTas is an unknown quantity at this point
Interior surround assembly

Hi all,
my 07 AM Vantage has some minor cracks appearing in the high gloss centre surround assembly (don't actually know what its called - but the panel that surrounds the sat nav unit - which has the same veneer on its cover). Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any tips on restoring this surface (don't know exactly what it is even) and / or protecting it from further deterioration (I assume it is simply UV damage??).

Old 05-15-2018, 08:43 PM
AngloCan is an unknown quantity at this point
I’ve had a similar experience with the piano black ‘ski-slope’ in my 2011 DB9. Mine were stress cracks radiating away from 3 of the 4 corners around the GPS screen. I chose to have the entire piece hydro-dipped in a carbon effect. I’ll post some pictures once I’ve worked out the upload process here. The stress cracks were cut along their length in a ‘vee’ and the areas built back up using an industrial grade epoxy. The piece itself appeared to be an epoxy based layer (almost glass like) bonded to an aluminum frame and it is possibly the bonding of these 2 different materials expanding / contracting at different rates which is causing the issue. Those 3 areas are now solid again but I’m seeing the first signs of the final corner failing! I consider the finish the hydro-dipper achieved is easily the equivalent of the piano black, with the same depth & gloss as the original piece. That is also the major drawback of a glossy ski-slope, the sun reflecting off of it for passengers is horrendous and the dash cam is also capturing its reflection onto the windshield. In hindsight I wish I’d had the piece re-finished in alcantara (or similar) and it’s something I’ll look into more seriously come hibernation time again.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:05 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
Just wrap it in carbon fiber 3m.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:31 PM
AngloCan is an unknown quantity at this point
I was thinking of going the 3M route but after trying an area over the stress cracks they were still visible under the wrap. I’m hoping the ‘soft’ wrap will alleviate both the issues I have.