Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage Harness Bar/Half Cage Interest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
V8 Vantage Harness Bar/Half Cage Interest

Hi Guys,

We have a vehicle coming to us in California in a couple of weeks. Very cool build, we will be posting a thread about it. Essentially a V12 Vantage, with our Power Pack, being built into a hybrid street/GT4 car.

We're going to be installing a 4 point rear cage and I'm wondering if there's enough interest in doing this to warrant us creating some jigs and patterns to reproduce this for people?

I can imagine the interest will be fairly limited but if there is enough demand we would go ahead with it. Just need to know what the interest level is like so we can weigh up the cost/materials of jigging it up and see how many we'd need to sell to make it worthwhile.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-17-2018, 01:21 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
I'd be interested I'd love to have the option to have a 4 pt harness in my car I feel naked without my hans and now with your tune my car is a blast on the track.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Are you guys aware that it would probably require a some skill level from a local installer, including possibly welding aluminum to the frame to create sandwich plates etc?

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-17-2018, 05:39 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
I'm in. Cant wait to see it. Working on wheels

chr

Old 05-18-2018, 01:07 AM
AMR248 will become famous soon enough
I am also very interested. I recently saw a documentation on the transformation of a V8 Vantage road car into a FIA approved race car, which took place in 2009/2010 in germany. They avoided welding aluminum by installing steel mounting plates (bolt on) which were then welded to the steel roll cage.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by AMR248
I am also very interested. I recently saw a documentation on the transformation of a V8 Vantage road car into a FIA approved race car, which took place in 2009/2010 in germany. They avoided welding aluminum by installing steel mounting plates (bolt on) which were then welded to the steel roll cage.

It can work, but remember one of the issues with aluminum chassis is keeping separation between steel and aluminum.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-18-2018, 01:58 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by papigko
I'd be interested I'd love to have the option to have a 4 pt harness in my car I feel naked without my hans and now with your tune my car is a blast on the track.
Really? You'd feel safe with a 4 point harness? Are you planning to use the OEM seats?

After spending many years going to trackdays, and talking to a lot of veteran track junkies and racers, I decided a long time ago that if you plan to stick with the OEM seats, a CG lock and the OEM 3 point belts are your safest bet.

I have nothing against a harness bar or a half cage, but if you are going to use a harness, please do it with a proper race seat and 5 or better 6 point belts.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:53 AM
Montana107 is on a distinguished road
hmm.. I'm interested

Old 05-20-2018, 12:48 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
I recently sat in a Vantage AMR, which had a rear rollcage installed.
Looked like "bolted in", but I don't know how it's fixed to the chassis, though.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by spinecho
Really? You'd feel safe with a 4 point harness? Are you planning to use the OEM seats?

After spending many years going to trackdays, and talking to a lot of veteran track junkies and racers, I decided a long time ago that if you plan to stick with the OEM seats, a CG lock and the OEM 3 point belts are your safest bet.

I have nothing against a harness bar or a half cage, but if you are going to use a harness, please do it with a proper race seat and 5 or better 6 point belts.
I have used the schroth 4pt asm in my evora and feel good I think the combination of a good asm harness and hans is better than the stock belt with that my other 2 track mules (miata and cobra replica have 5 and pt.)

I haven't seriously looked at my seats in regards to harnesses and the shoulder strap access through the hole below the headrest. That said it's pretty easy to swap seats and go with a full harness if needed. I just haven't explored it much with the lack of bar availabilities.

Stuart I think the main determinate of my interest is if it installs as clean as something like the Porsche gt3 cage/bar which requires minimal interior leather/carpet modification and retains a clean interior look.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:53 PM
I haven't seriously looked at my seats in regards to harnesses and the shoulder strap access through the hole below the headrest. That said it's pretty easy to swap seats and go with a full harness if needed.
Exactly

Stuart I think the main determinate of my interest is if it installs as clean as something like the Porsche gt3 cage/bar which requires minimal interior leather/carpet modification and retains a clean interior look.
+1

chr

Old 05-25-2018, 12:26 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
As some of you may still remember, I had a FIA-approved half-cage fitted to my DB9 some years ago which I took out about a year ago. Thread here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4175682

Both DB9 and Vantage being VH platform based I wonder if its interchangeable.. I'm not sure if the company that made it for me has kept data. If anyone is interested I'm surely open for a sale.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Stuart - any headway on this. I am looking at some Cobra seats. If I could get a harness bar I would opt for circuit seats.

x-chr

Old 07-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
The car arrives here on Sunday. We'll be essentially replicating the rear 4-point section of the AMR cage.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Great - half cage would be perfect. You think you would have something by the end of the year?

chr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage Harness Bar/Half Cage Interest