Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Gate shift being made for 7-speed v12

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:06 PM
GhostRider59 is on a distinguished road
Gate shift being made for 7-speed v12

Hi All-

I decided to have a gated shift plate made for my v12 Vantage 7-speed manual dogleg. I bought a NOS DBS aluminum gear shift **** to go along with it. Since the DBS was a 6-speed manual, I am having my fab guy cut out the top center and replacing it with a 7-speed design.

So here is my issue: My fab guy needs to, obviously, do this from CAD. I have asked the dealership and Aston Martin to send me blueprints, parts blow-ups or something that my guy can scan and use in CAD. The dealership and AML have been less than useless.

Anyone have ideas or, possibly, a blow up of the tranny shift pattern measurements?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GhostRider59; 11-27-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:23 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
2 things come to my mind:

1) the way the original gear **** is fixed does not favor a "open" gate.
When you look at the typical ferrari, there's just a elegant long thin rod with a **** on.
The thick lower end of the OE gear know will also partially obstruct the view onto the gate.
2) the gate would (most likely) have to sit rather high, as it has to cllear the fixiation point for the operating cable (see picture of stock V8V 6 speed).
Of course that all depends on how the 7 speed looks underneath the leather bag...

You would almost need a CAD model of the whole car - will be easier easier to measure the gates in place.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:17 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
why? Good luck!

Old 11-28-2018, 07:46 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Why not convert it to a sequential gearbox? I believe Bamford Rose or another British "tuner" makes a conversion that replaces the gear shifter and shift cables.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:18 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
That sounds like the hard way to do it, can't your guy just measure and plot the lever position and angle to design a plastic prototype first to see if it's worth doing?
The shift **** you describe is available thru AM parts.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:52 AM
V12Vin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by J doubleU
That sounds like the hard way to do it, can't your guy just measure and plot the lever position and angle to design a plastic prototype first to see if it's worth doing?
The shift **** you describe is available thru AM parts.
​​​​​​Curious here. Is that gear label photoshopped or actually made for the chunky kno*b?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 AM
GhostRider59 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input. I agree on both counts. I believe that my fab guy is planning to lengthening the rod to make it a bit higher. If we can't find a blueprint, he may just have to rely on the bare shift pattern (sans boot cover) to take measurements.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:05 AM
norbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nice
Originally Posted by V12Vin
​​​​​​Curious here. Is that gear label photoshopped or actually made for the chunky kno*b?
That gear **** was available for the 7-speed cars through Q