Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Headlight and taillight condensation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 03:55 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
anyone figured out how to resolve the rear light condensation issue?

Old 01-01-2019, 12:41 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
I think the same concept will apply to these - there are two issues. They allow moisture in from poor sealing, fixing that will just create more natural condensation. 2 years ago I applied a bead of RTV along the seam on both tail lights to keep moisture out. See pic.

RTV Bead applied to seam

This spring I will be drilling breathing holes along the top and sealing them with similar Goretex patches used on the headlights.
I may also install a one way valve on the lower side to permit any accumulated moisture to drain if the housing was somehow penetrated.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:11 PM
Thanks, just ordered a few packs of the same patches you used and will attack the headlight and rear light issue. Not driving this car around with the lights filled of condensation.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:14 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Anyone have a pic of inside the rear taillight housing. I have them removed to add a couple of Goretex patches but as I stated above I have sealed around the lens and I don't want to take them apart to drill the necessary breathing holes. If I knew where the circuit board and components were inside I can drill confidently without taking them apart. I can't find any pics of a dismantled taillight - if you have some please post.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Here’s a pic from the outside of my housing. I drilled about 6 small holes on the top and one larger hole in the back bottom right corner (low point on the wheel side of the light). I’ve notnhave any issues at all since I did this mod.

You will also need another hole (or 2) in the back bottom right corner of the housing. I haven’t had any issues at all since drilling these small holes.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:28 AM
You’ll notice the condensation in my light lens in the pic, took about a week to fully dry out since I did this mod in January and didn’t drive the car to much.

I’ve since added 2,000 miles since January, no issues at all.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Thanks Matt, I didn't see these pics before I went ahead - It was pretty simple. I drilled a 1/16" pilot in the two areas I wanted to vent - one on the top at the inside of the light and one one the bottom toward the outside of the light. Then I used a piece of wire at 90 degrees to sweep the area inside the tail light housing for any interference. There was none for the areas I needed (about 1"x2"). I went ahead and drilled the rest of the pilot holes then opened them up to 1/4" and applied the Gore-Tex patches on top and bottom. Lights are back in - In all took about 70- mins.

I don't have condensation issues on these clear tail lights but did this as a preventative action. Since I had fully sealed the tail lights last year the design is similar as the headlights in that they need to breathe in order to dissipate the natural condensation. Now they are fully sealed from external moisture I needed to ensure that the air could move in and out of the housing to equalize the environmental differences (temp, humidity etc.).

Here's a few pics:

Adding Gore-Tex patches to Aston Martin Vantage Clear Tail Lights to prevent condensation

Old 05-06-2019, 11:24 AM
AM V8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All,

With regards to the headlights, I also tried every thing, literally, holes, patches, silica, time and money all wasted.
The Aston light is long and traps the hot air, it has many leaks so moist air gets in, thus heats up, rises to cold lense and condensates, no air flow to remove.
I am in the AMOC and saw the details about a Venting Kit specific to a V8 Vantage so I bought one from AM Upgrades, all I can say is brilliant, quick to fit, quality fittings and wiring loom, this is a picture of the kit and guess what, it works.

For more details, contact them at amupgrades@<span style="color:#000000"><a href=...com</a></span>

Old 06-25-2019, 05:07 AM
Putting aside differences of opinion for a moment on what has caused this widespread issue, or remedies to correct it - the matter of the condensation can lead to failure of headlights, turning indicators, & brake lights - making this matter truly a safety related issue. The NHTSA (in the USA) is the most powerful of any national org to deal with these matters. If it has enough information and incidences it can conduct an investigation. It can also force manufacturers to correct identified safety deficiencies at no cost to the consumer. Given the low production volume of these vehicles, the complaint percentage thresholds to trigger further action would be relative.

To file a US vehicle safety complaint you need your VIN: If you have pics of the condensation in either tail lights or headlights you can attach them to the online form- but that is not necessary. The whole process takes under 2 mins.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

In Canada you file the same complaint here:

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Last edited by BMW-North; 06-25-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:15 AM
Aston Joy is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting stuff and also frustrating, I have had 3 Vantages over the years, all had headlight condensation problems so about 6 months ago I bought a Venting Kit from AM Upgrades and so far so good, no condensation issues, took about one and a half hours to fit, if I did it again, it would only take about an hour.
Its worth contacting them, the email address is amupgrades@gmail.com

Old 01-05-2024, 04:20 AM
Aston Fun is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all, Happy New Year.
A few weeks ago I bought and fitted an AM Upgrades venting kit for a 2007 DB9, it suffered from the dreaded condensation for several years, I’m pleased to say they have been clear since fitting, I also now have brighter night lights in this dismal weather, well worth purchasing, a lot of people on Pistonheads have had excellent results, worth a look. just in case, their email address is amupgrades@gmail.com hope it helps.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:56 AM
Headlight condensation, this is worth a look.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&t=1715621&i=0

Old 04-11-2024, 01:21 AM
Hi all again, I have just come across this