Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My new AM has arrived!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mjanis
Lets see. We now have SF/Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Half Moon Bay, Monterey, and I am in Aptos. Sounds like it could be the beginning of a meet up. I am sure we could round up a few more.....

Mark
come on out to Reno, No traffic here!

as for OP, STUNNING DBS! Love it!

Last edited by sonies; 01-12-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:49 PM
norbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nicenorbert6speed is just really nice
Beautiful spec with the Zaffre Blue and carbon. Love the back with the script removed!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:04 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Wow! Your DBS is awesome. Love the color combo you went with. Congrats!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:56 PM
alextse88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Absolutely amazing congrats on the newest addition the blue color is one of my favorites - hope to see it driving around the Bay Area some time ;-)!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 PM
oldfool is on a distinguished road
Your going to have years of fun with your new car. Great color.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:52 PM
ntlr will become famous soon enoughntlr will become famous soon enough
A more fulsome review to come from my end, but I've been having too much fun. Took it out for its first track day yesterday, now even more in love with the DBS. Say what you will about it vs. the previous generation, this thing is a complete beast and amazingly chuckable around some tight corners.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ntlr
Say what you will about it vs. the previous generation, this thing is a complete beast and amazingly chuckable around some tight corners.

The new DBS looks way better to me. Just a wow car, where I wasn't such a fan of the spoiler treatment of the previous DBS. The DB9 GT is more pleasing to my eyes than the previous DBS. Call me crazy...

Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 PM
So now that I've racked up a few miles on the DBS, I think I've formulated my viewpoint on this machine. Spoiler: I haven't owned / driven a car that's put such a big smile on my face, so much of the time.

First, I think the car is stunning. The DBS isn't a small car, being actually almost 2" wider than my Mulsanne. Nor is it a superlight car, at right around 4000 lb. However, the proportions are almost perfect in my eyes. Having had a 2005 Vanquish S in the past, and a Rapide S also, well, those two are beautiful, elegant cars, with the Vanquish S being the more subtly aggressive of the two. The DBS looks stunning and goes a few steps further above those (and pretty much anything else in the Aston line-up, Zagato included... excluding Valkyrie/Vulcan here) and is just downright menacing while still having gorgeous, curvy lines and those amazing rear haunches. I fell in love with it when I first saw it back in May, and in the right spec (read: not dark colors) I can't imagine a more beautiful contemporary car. All subjective, of course.

Secondly, the drivetrain. The 5.2L twin turbo V12 (all Aston-built) is unbelievable. I thought I would miss the NA 6.0L, but this engine makes all the right noises, generates an absurd amount of power (715hp) and torque (664 lb-ft from 1,800-5,000rpm) paired to an 8 speed ZF gearbox. In GT mode (aka standard), everything is mellow, the exhaust is quiet (kind of), and it's perfect for gobbling up tons of miles on the highway. I tracked it in both Sport and Sport+ which both seemed to unleash ridiculous throttle and steering fun. Sport+ is the way to go for crazy fun for sure, with instantaneous throttle and kickdown response and all the glorious noises of the V12. And oh, it can break traction in 5th gear.

Thirdly, the comfort. The DBS has 3 suspension settings, which you can set independently from the transmission modes. Comfort is great, Sport is tighter all around but still not uncomfortable, and Sport+ is perfect for the track. Not much to say beyond that.

Now for the interior... it's not as high tech as pretty much most things out there, but the materials are wonderful. I'd say I wish it was a bit more differentiated from the DB11 (and there are little things), but it's thoughtfully laid out and very easy to get used to. There's not much to distract you from the driving experience, and works super well on the highway and the track. The seats are quite comfortable and they even cool and heat at the same time (I guess another Mercedes trait). The infotainment does everything I need it to do (radio and Bluetooth), so I'm not complaining.

Finally, the driving experience. This car is insane. I can be at any speed, and if I stomp down on the accelerator, I get to something much faster quicker than I could ever expect. There's so much wonderful steering feel, the car feels so chuckable around fast corners, it's so predictable and easy to build up your confidence, and go even faster the next time around. On the track, there was an unreal amount of grip, and when you started running out of grip, you could get it into a very controllable slide. The front end is just beautiful - the right amount of weighting, neutrality, and feel. Bursting out of the corners onto any straight, accelerating from 50-100 or even to 130... you're there before you know it, while the carbon ceramic brakes reel the car in time after time with such force.

The only real downsides I feel it has are probably more trivial than anything. First, the rear bootlid should not have the ASTON MARTIN script, it should have the wings badge. I remedied that pretty much immediately (yep, either tell the Q division to do it, or order an extra "Wings" badge before the car gets delivered). Second, the backseat could be a tiny bit bigger, but as it is, I've test-fit the car seat in it and it fits (forward facing... so not quite ready for that yet). Third, I wish it was a hatchback, for the practicality. The boot isn't that big.

TL;DR: the DBS Superleggera is a car with a simple mission - to put the biggest smile on your face. It isn't trying to be the best car out there, and by no means is it, but it succeeds so wonderfully by connecting the driver to the driving experience and road without overwhelming you with crazy tech and settings. And I can't get enough from the full power acceleration runs and the noise that accompanies those.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Vettel-ish is an unknown quantity at this point
From a styling prospective I think its one of the best looking cars of all time. Its also ahead of it time. Aston has never been a trend setter and I think this car is just that.

Perfect color combo too. Nice work.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 AM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
Stunning, thank you for sharing ntlr. Any chance you can show a picture of the rear with the removed lettering?

er, nevermind - just found it. Big improvement, it's all about the details and not big branded lettering - for that theres Tommy Hillfiger jumpers...

Last edited by astonChap; 01-15-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Fantastic looking DBS! Keep sending pictures! Truly a stellar new design.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:04 PM
pearsonhaus will become famous soon enough
Thanks for your review! Absolutely beautiful Aston!!

Old 01-15-2019, 01:43 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
This is incredible!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by astonChap
Stunning, thank you for sharing ntlr. Any chance you can show a picture of the rear with the removed lettering?

er, nevermind - just found it. Big improvement, it's all about the details and not big branded lettering - for that theres Tommy Hillfiger jumpers...
It looked fine without, but empty. Better with the wings

Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Gorgeous spec car and cheers to you for taking it to the track. That the annual Aston Thunderhill day? I went last year and had a great time. Anyone that went want to start a thread with some pictures and stories?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new AM has arrived!