Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My new AM has arrived!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 AM
ntlr will become famous soon enoughntlr will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Old phart
Gorgeous spec car and cheers to you for taking it to the track. That the annual Aston Thunderhill day? I went last year and had a great time. Anyone that went want to start a thread with some pictures and stories?
Yes, it was the AMOC day! Good time. I was there last year as well - took my Bentley Mulsanne Speed.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
i’ve had my eye on the mulsanne for a while (i await the depreciation curve...). What were the goods and bads of driving the fantastic looking castle on wheels?

Old 01-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by astonChap
i’ve had my eye on the mulsanne for a while (i await the depreciation curve...). What were the goods and bads of driving the fantastic looking castle on wheels?
I got mine in August of 2017, and have put 16,000+ miles on it since. It has been rock solid reliable, a pleasure to drive, and useful as an everyday car.

Positives:
+ Excellent visibility
+ Super comfortable but not disconnected. Still has great feel and it's super easy to place anywhere (yes, this includes backroads AND city driving). The issue I have with the newer Rolls Royces (besides the image) is that they're a bit floaty and I don't feel much of a connection with the driving experience (including the Phantom, Ghost, and Cullinans).
+ Relatively understated. For being such a big car, it flies surprisingly under the radar and doesn't garner TOO MUCH attention. Maybe it's the exterior color.
+ Reliable and troublefree
+ Quality of materials is beyond excellent. All of the materials feel quality, everywhere in the car. The wraparound wood looks and feels great, the leather is rich and lovely, everything you touch feels quality and real (if it looks like metal, it is), and it very much feels like it's worth every dollar of the $400K price
+ The engine / drivetrain is lovely and full of character, and it handles well for such a big/heavy car. I love the power delivery, with the 4500rpm redline on the 6.75L V8. Power everywhere, at any speed. Makes the car feel smaller / more maneouverable than it has any right to be. That 811 lb-ft of torque is monstrous and so addictive. Couple that with RWD and you can have some fun.
+ Great all-purpose, everyday car. I use it everyday pretty much, and it does everything I need it to. Also, I love all the switchgear and while there are a lot of buttons, it's so easy to use once you're used to it. You don't even have to think about it.

Cons:
- Size. It is a big car, both in width and especially length (almost as long as a full size Suburban).
- Infotainment isn't the best, and I'm on Android and it doesn't have Android Auto (sad)
- Relatively low tech. I'm actually okay with this. I do wish it had a HUD
- Trunk is a bit small. For such a large car, you'd expect a bit more space back there.
- No panaromic roof.
- Sometimes I wish it was AWD... sometimes.
- Long term running costs. Out of warranty, and annual services - probably not the cheapest to run, but hey, it's a $400K car.

Last edited by ntlr; 01-20-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Kent will become famous soon enough
Gorgeous DBS and stunning color.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:21 AM
astonChap will become famous soon enough
ntlr - the panoramic sunroof was something I had highlighted as a nay cheers for the experience notes.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Living here in Florida the last thing I would want is a sun roof. I glad that our Astons and Bentley don’t have sunroofs. We had a 911 with a sunroof and never opened it. The Mulsanne is a beautiful car, and glad to see you enjoying it.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Parked up at work. Confirmed it does not melt in the rain.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gene G
Living here in Florida the last thing I would want is a sun roof. I glad that our Astons and Bentley don’t have sunroofs. We had a 911 with a sunroof and never opened it. The Mulsanne is a beautiful car, and glad to see you enjoying it.
Not a fan of the sunroof either. Panoramic roof is cool, but with sunroof's the wind pressure is too much. I do like opening all the windows on the Rapide, the air goes through the car with little pressure or noise.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:26 AM
yawwn is on a distinguished road
Congratulations! That is one gorgeous car. I am very partial to blue cars (currently have two of them) and this color is striking.
I saw one of the first DBS Superleggera in CA at the same dealership you purchased your car. It was just delivered, with all the wrapping. It was breathtaking.
Palo Alto is not far from me. I'm kind of near the Apple Spaceship, and saw a lot of members chime in with their locale. Let's have an Aston Martin mini-meet sometime!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by yawwn
Congratulations! That is one gorgeous car. I am very partial to blue cars (currently have two of them) and this color is striking.
I saw one of the first DBS Superleggera in CA at the same dealership you purchased your car. It was just delivered, with all the wrapping. It was breathtaking.
Palo Alto is not far from me. I'm kind of near the Apple Spaceship, and saw a lot of members chime in with their locale. Let's have an Aston Martin mini-meet sometime!
Let's do it!

Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Old phart
Gorgeous spec car and cheers to you for taking it to the track. That the annual Aston Thunderhill day? I went last year and had a great time. Anyone that went want to start a thread with some pictures and stories?
More info on this event? I would love to do an all AM track day!

Old 02-05-2019, 08:56 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
That’s beautiful!

Old 04-28-2019, 02:37 PM
Update: had an unfortunate incident, and the rear right rim has to be replaced (see picture) - none of the folks I've showed this to has ever seen something like this (the tire is perfectly fine, too...). I got a price on a replacement from a couple of dealers ($$$$), but they can't get an ETA on arrival for the replacement (and it's been over a week so far). Someone has reached out to the UK folks and no response from them.

I'm hugely disappointed in the level of responsiveness and service from the UK, the lack of availability of any replacements, and the price gouging that Aston is doing to their customers. I'm torn as I really love the car and the design of pretty much all of the new Astons and want to root for the underdog, but this experience has left a sour taste in my mouth with the company, and has caused me to change my mind on putting a deposit down for an RB-003.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I just purchased a 2017 (new) V12S - towards the end of production Aston Martin made the glass switches optional - a hand full of cars have the cheap plastic switches - mine is one of them. So I went to order the $570 upgrade kit - no longer available. My dealer priced the switches individually - over $3,000! I bought them from Aston Martin Bits for $855 and paid $145 Duty - and today I forgot a switch so add about another $200.

I asked Aston at a minimum cover the 1 to 2 hours installation labor - no go on that one.

Before Andy Palmer things were very different at Aston Martin - better in just about every way - I think the new Aston needs a big attitude change, but looking at its history, after they implode, another will take over and make it great again - or they can treat their customers better.

Nevertheless, my local dealer Morries Aston Martin - I can't say enough good about them - fantastic people.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
I just purchased a 2017 (new) V12S - towards the end of production Aston Martin made the glass switches optional - a hand full of cars have the cheap plastic switches - mine is one of them. So I went to order the $570 upgrade kit - no longer available. My dealer priced the switches individually - over $3,000! I bought them from Aston Martin Bits for $855 and paid $145 Duty - and today I forgot a switch so add about another $200.

I asked Aston at a minimum cover the 1 to 2 hours installation labor - no go on that one.

Before Andy Palmer things were very different at Aston Martin - better in just about every way - I think the new Aston needs a big attitude change, but looking at its history, after they implode, another will take over and make it great again - or they can treat their customers better.

Nevertheless, my local dealer Morries Aston Martin - I can't say enough good about them - fantastic people.
Very interesting insight. My dealer (Los Gatos) has always been great, but just boggles the mind that parts just aren't available (I know it's a new car, but it has also been out for a few months already, so would expect better). I hope it does improve, I really do, but I'm a bit worried.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new AM has arrived!