Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Just got my tab renewal bill

Old 01-23-2019, 06:09 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Just got my tab renewal bill

The State of Minnesota just sent me my license plate tab renewal - $1,400 on my 2015 Vantage V12S - based on a current value of $187,950! I wish my car was worth that - but the values are more like $75 to 80K less. anyone know how to protest the valuation in a state?

Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 AM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Move to a different state

J/K - Unfortunately, I'm not sure as I live in WI. I pay $75 per year whether it's a Dodge Omni or Bugatti Chiron.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Most states have a formal process to contest valuations. You may have a little work ahead but worth your time. First check with your state's DMV online. I'd go to their local main office in person. Try to stick with the same " helpful" person throughout the process. Don't bother with one that may have an attitude or doesn't know what you are talking about. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2019, 10:21 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
hah Nevada does their fee based on the original MSRP ($120k something for mine)... I was like are you ****ting me? LOL

thankfully it declines at like 10% per year so it was "only" $500 this year

I'll gladly pay that and zero income taxes

Old 01-23-2019, 10:38 AM
willin58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sonies

I'll gladly pay that and zero income taxes
That and the ability to drive your Aston year-round, unlike OP and I.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by willin58
That and the ability to drive your Aston year-round, unlike OP and I.
I know the feeling I just moved from Chicago
but we get quite a bit of snow here, it just doesn't stick around very long, there's been like one day where there was too much snow to drive

I can't wait till summer though so I can hit all the awesome mountain roads around here

Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Michigan is also based on MSRP, regardless if you bought a used car with extreme depreciation.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:27 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Thanks... I'm getting actual evaluation at the Aston Dealer, then I'll take it to the State and see what I can do.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:47 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Taxes. One more thing I like about Florida.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:50 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
The State of Minnesota just sent me my license plate tab renewal - $1,400 on my 2015 Vantage V12S - based on a current value of $187,950! I wish my car was worth that - but the values are more like $75 to 80K less. anyone know how to protest the valuation in a state?

I feel your pain. But in Virginia and especially in Northern Virginia its horrible. I pay $1200 per 6 months (billed twice a year) for a 2014 Range Rover Sport.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 AM
JL_MPLS will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
Thanks... I'm getting actual evaluation at the Aston Dealer, then I'll take it to the State and see what I can do.
Really interested to see what you learn on this. I think Minnesota uses a base value which is theoretically MSRP, but when I brought my car from WA to MN last summer, they set the base value at 10K over MSRP. Our DMV system is notoriously screwed up, so I'll be interested to see if a) you get a sympathetic ear, and b) if anyone can figure how to make a change even if they wanted to help!

Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
I feel your pain. But in Virginia and especially in Northern Virginia its horrible. I pay $1200 per 6 months (billed twice a year) for a 2014 Range Rover Sport.
thats insanity

Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM
I talked to the person at the registration office - they said they implemented a system more recently based on MSRP, and then go down 10% annually. after 12 years it simply $37 annually, and if I want a change take it up with a legislator. The problem with that system if you have an exotic or luxury car that plummets in value the first few years (Mercedes, Maserati, Aston, Audi, etc) and unlikely to keep the car more than 3 or 4 years, it's an unfair way to tax. So in the next few weeks I'll be working some of the local exotic car clubs and luxury dealers to see if we can get some support at legislation and also work the press. With the number of such vehicles in this city, the State is robbing people of a ton of money. If one keeps a car longer or buys one 6 years old, then it's possibly equitable.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
These systems that are supposed to be paying for infrastructure but are based on how much you paid for something are completely ridiculous. We have a tax that is paying for a light rail system in the Seattle area. They are administering the tax based on what your car is worth!??? How is that a measure of how this system is going to be used and who will use it? This is a blatant way to tax people more heavily who make more money. I don't like to talk politics, but this is liberalism at it's most obvious.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by sonies
thats insanity

I have to look at my bill sometime and pay it, but when I saw it I just kinda put it back in its envelope, and put it in a soon to pay drawer. I got it 3 months after I purchased the RRS. But it was 1800 and was for 3 months in one part, and 1200 or so for 6 months worth. I do need to see the fine print next month, but regardless its ridiculous. Depending on county you live in, My value was on 55k, so in a nutshell 4.20 x 500 = 2k See below. I can't imagine have a 200k value per year here. Calculating the Tax

General Information
The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors establishes vehicle personal property tax rates each year during the regular budget process. The current tax rate for most all vehicles is $4.20 per $100 of assessed value. If a vehicle has situs for taxation in Loudoun, the county computes the tax by dividing the assessment by 100 and multiplying the result by the appropriate tax rate. The tax is then prorated, if necessary, based on the number of months that the vehicle is in the County. For qualified personal use vehicles, the tax bill is reduced by the Commonwealth’s Personal Property Tax Relief (PPTR) percentage, which is also set by the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors annually. The current percentage of personal property tax relief is 39% and is provided only on the first $20,000 of a vehicle’s value.

For an estimate of the tax on your vehicle, contact the office of the Commissioner of the Revenue.

For more information about vehicle personal property tax rates, please refer to the Personal Property Tax Frequently Asked Questions.

Example for a Personal Use Vehicle Valued at $20,000 or Less
  • Assessed value of the vehicle is $8,000
  • Apply the $4.20 tax rate: ($4.20 / 100) x $8,000 = $336
  • Calculate personal property relief: 39% (for 2018) x $336 = $131.04
  • Reduce the tax by the relief amount: $336 - $131.04 = $204.96
  • Annual Tax Amount = $204.96
Example for a Personal Use Vehicle Valued at More than $20,000
  • Assessed value of vehicle is $25,000
  • Apply the $4.20 tax rate: ($4.20 / 100) x $25,000 = $1050
  • Calculate personal property relief on 1st $20,000 of value: ($4.20 / 100) x $20,000 x 39% (for 2018) = $327.60
  • Reduce the tax by the relief amount: $1050.00 - $327.60 = $722.40
  • Annual Tax Amount = $722.40

Last edited by SheriffDep; 01-24-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.