Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Ken Harrison High Flow Cats throwing CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Madmap is an unknown quantity at this point
Ken Harrison High Flow Cats throwing CEL

Hi all, I have a 2006 V8 Vantage and recently installed the 200 cell high flow cats from KH on my car. Have read quite a bit about these and the fact that they do not throw CELs but alas my car apparently doesn’t agree. Have cleared the codes multiple times with my code reader and they unfortunately return. Mostly related to the O2 sensors. The car ran fine without any codes prior to installation and I find it hard to believe that the O2 sensors all of a sudden went bad. These cats are the only non-stock item currently on the car ( factory headers, x-pipe and muffler). Even received some o2 extender adapters but there is no way these will fit as close as the cats are to the body of the car. I have tightened down all bolts holding the cats in place, removed the O2 sensors and reinstalled without any success. While I know that a tune may ultimately get rid of these codes permanently and I would like to plan for that in the future, looking for options on how to resolve this one until tune day becomes a reality. Car sounds great with them on and the few extra HPs doesn’t hurt but just don’t want to see that yellow check engine light any longer. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the read and the help.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:41 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
What are your exact codes? What sensor adapters did you get? (90*) ones should work.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:32 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
i think just get new o2 sensors. i have kh and and lights come on once in a while. really not a big deal to clear every 6 months.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 PM
E5PR1T will become famous soon enough
Are the KH cats brand new?

Maybe try the 90 degree elbow O2 extenders.

More importantly, what's the error code?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:09 PM
Hi all, thanks for the replies. The codes that the car is throwing are the following. Keep in mind that it wasn’t throwing any codes prior to installing the cats which were brand new.

P0010
P0020
P0135
P0155
P0141
P0161

I wouldn’t mind resetting the codes if it was every 6 months but literally it is every time I start the car after resetting them. It also seems odd that the O2 sensors would need to be replaced since they have been operating fine before the installation of the new cats. The 90 degree elbow O2 extenders might work but really trying to avoid that route. Thanks.

Last edited by Madmap; 04-01-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 04-01-2019, 10:21 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You have something more than just a sensor error. Codes are all related to heater circuit. And codes for cam position sensors at both banks. Who did the install of the catalysts? 1 damaged sensor and/or wire could cause the fault. Cam sensor codes P0010-20 may be related but you need to have the circuits checked for power and continuity.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 PM
Check the under hood fuse box F18 15amp fuse (power for hego sensors and variable valve timing solenoids)

Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You have something more than just a sensor error. Codes are all related to heater circuit. And codes for cam position sensors at both banks. Who did the install of the catalysts? 1 damaged sensor and/or wire could cause the fault. Cam sensor codes P0010-20 may be related but you need to have the circuits checked for power and continuity.
Welll that would be me as the installer. That will teach me to do any work on the car myself! It looked so simple! What if I remove one of the post cat sensors and see what codes appear or would that just create a whole new set of codes? Trying to eliminate each sensor at a time.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:34 PM
Your just enjoying the hobby, it can be fixed. Check that fuse, replace then recheck all sensor wires first. You can disconnect all 4 sensors, then plug one in at a time to see which one kills the fuse. If that makes sense for the process of eliminating good vs bad.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:34 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I installed RSC high-flow cats in my '07 and had to replace both of the post-cat O2 sensors right after that. That was about 2 years ago and I haven't had a code since. I have read and heard that it is not uncommon to have to do that after replacing cats.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:47 PM
era2076 is on a distinguished road
Based on reading here, I purchased new sensors and installed them with the new cats. No trouble.

Wish I could say the same about the evap system

chr

Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all of the input! Will try your suggestions this weekend.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Check the under hood fuse box F18 15amp fuse (power for hego sensors and variable valve timing solenoids)
ok checked the fuse and it was bad. Replaced it and didn’t have a CEL for a few starts then it came back on. Checked the codes and just two codes (versus 12) came up which were P0141. Cleared those out and after three starts light came back on. This time 9 codes. Checked the fuse and it was blown again. Any ideas what might be triggering the Fuse 18 from continuing to be taken out?

Old 04-06-2019, 07:53 PM
E5PR1T will become famous soon enough
P0141 is bank 1 sensor 2, that's causing the blown fuse. Check the wires & connector.

Last edited by E5PR1T; 04-06-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:20 PM
You most likely have an oxygen sensor that didn't like the transplant. Is there any physical damage to any of the sensors? Wrenched slipped when removed or refit? P0141 (bank 1 sensor2) is right side rear sensor (blue connector) try disconnecting just that one and start the car for 10-20 seconds 2x. Then recheck the 15amp fuse #18. If it's good that's your faulty sensor. If not repeat on other 3 sensors until it stops blowing the fuse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ken Harrison High Flow Cats throwing CEL