Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage Skipping gears when paddle shifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Registered PM
Dugunz is an unknown quantity at this point
V8 Vantage Skipping gears when paddle shifting

My 2012 V8 vantage S has been skipping gears when using the paddle shift. It doesn't happen every shift, but it does happen enough to make it annoying. Regular drive mode seems to hit all the gears fine, but in sport shift mode it will sometimes skip one or even two gears with one push of the paddle. I'm positive that I'm not double tapping the paddle... The first time it happened, I fixed it by adjusting the wheel up and then back down and it went away for a few months. Now the problem is back and the wheel adjustment trick isn't working any more. Any ideas on how to fix, or has this happened to anyone else?

Old 04-16-2019, 09:28 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
I have the exact same issue right now - I clutch relearn on every startups. Did a fluid change, didn’t resolve. I did come across another poster in the facebook group who resolved this by cleaning the paddle contacts/internals. Going to attempt to see if it will resolve - apparently over time the paddle rubber/contacts can become dirty or bad and just need to be redone. Seems like a simple enough job

Old 04-17-2019, 08:45 AM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of

Old 04-17-2019, 08:34 PM
Registered PM
Thanks for your response, I just dropped it off to a mechanic who knows these cars pretty well. I'll let you know what the diagnosis is. I feel like it has something to do with what your describing because while driving there I realized that if I hold the paddle down it will shift once, and then shift a second time upon release sometimes (Other times when I hold it I get only one shift)... It also does make sense that adjusting the steering wheel up and down did cure it for a few months.

Last edited by Dugunz; 04-17-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Please keep us updated as there really aren't any other threads on the issue

Old 04-26-2019, 01:43 PM
Registered PM
Ok, so here's the update. I would 100% think that this would have something to do with the photos above having dirty connections. But the tech is telling me that it may have something to do with the key. My key (That gets inserted in to the center dashboard) sometimes doesnt rebound completely to sit flush with the dashboard upon startup. It will sometimes hang up just the slightest bit from being were it is supposed to sit. This never effected the way the car ran at all and it never bothered me. When he hooked the car up to his computer he got no reading of the car at all even though it was running, until he pulled the key out about a millimeter and then he got readings from the car. His suspicion is the key position was the problem and he wound up wet sanding and waxing the top, bottom, and sides of the key to make it slide in the ignition easier. They key now glides right in smoother than it ever has and returns to the exact place it is supposed to be after cranking. He thinks the car may have not been getting to correct signals from the key... I was doubtful, but the car does seem to be shifting fine now. There has been one or two miss shifts over the last few days, but it is way better than it was. I'm not 100% sure this is the fix yet, but you guys should try it and compare the outcomes. I may try driving with different keys over the next few days to see if it comes back. I'll keep you posted.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:27 PM
Interesting, I would like to see pics of how a key is supposed to properly sit to reference to my own - just to eliminate that as a potential problem

Old 04-29-2020, 06:34 AM
thisistcab7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lilseevs
Interesting, I would like to see pics of how a key is supposed to properly sit to reference to my own - just to eliminate that as a potential problem
any luck on resolving this? Having same issue

Old 04-29-2020, 06:57 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
My buddy had a V12S with same problem - Aston changed out the paddle shifters (under extended warranty) and now no more problem.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:52 PM
RBWIII will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Prefurbia
My buddy had a V12S with same problem - Aston changed out the paddle shifters (under extended warranty) and now no more problem.
I have a 15 V12V and this problem just started yesterday. The car only has 3500 miles on it. It will skip a gear almost every shift and is getting annoying. If I hit the shifter real fast it doesn't do it, atleast not as much.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by RBWIII
I have a 15 V12V and this problem just started yesterday. The car only has 3500 miles on it. It will skip a gear almost every shift and is getting annoying. If I hit the shifter real fast it doesn't do it, atleast not as much.
this is my same experience, I have to pull the shifter as fast as possible just as you described.

I emailed my closest dealer and he said this issue has never come up before to his knowledge:/

Old 06-06-2020, 06:24 PM
Had the car at the dealer to resolve the gears skipping. Since the car doesn't emit any codes, there lost. They drove the car and of course it worked as intened. When I got the car home it started skipping gears again. I guess I need to film it while it occurs to show dealer.

I would think it's a bad switch on the paddle, but the car has such low miles not sure why that would be. Really need to solve this, the car is no fun in auto...

anyone resolve this issue?

Old 06-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Had the car at the dealer to resolve the gears skipping. Since the car doesn't emit any codes, there lost. They drove the car and of course it worked as intened. When I got the car home it started skipping gears again. I guess I need to film it while it occurs to show dealer.

I would think it's a bad switch on the paddle, but the car has such low miles not sure why that would be. Really need to solve this, the car is no fun in auto...

anyone resolve this issue?
I daily drive mine and it seems to happen intermittently every 3 or so drives. Someone mentioned in another thread to unlock the up/down setting on the steering wheel and move it up and down a few times and then relock it. That did seem to correct the problem for about a week, but it may have just been a fluke. Still just living with it for now till I’m due for next service

Old 06-06-2020, 08:19 PM
I will drive the car tomorrow. From what I have read, one mechanic said bad key, another talked about raising and lowering tilt. I will first start with tilt. I typically have tilt as low as it will go, when I picked up from dealer they had it mid way....will keep all posted.

thanks

Old 07-23-2020, 07:53 PM
Registered PM
I will drive the car tomorrow. From what I have read, one mechanic said bad key, another talked about raising and lowering tilt. I will first start with tilt. I typically have tilt as low as it will go, when I picked up from dealer they had it mid way....will keep all posted.

thanks
After driving the car about a year now after I posted that, I really dont think the key was the issue. The problem comes and goes and has no rhyme or reason. Hot, cold, fast, slow, Low/high RPM's it is spastic on when it wants to work.... I'm leaning toward cleaning the paddle sensors like others have posted or replacing them entirely.... Has anyone with this issue had any suspension work done? I have a full aftermarket air ride system in my car, and I'm also wondering if it could be a wheel speed sensor or something of that nature that has a lose connection due to ride height.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage Skipping gears when paddle shifting