Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

"Urgent Service required"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 10:55 AM
Zepe is on a distinguished road
"Urgent Service required"

So started up my 2015 db9 after a week of sitting and car ran really rough with above warning. I shut down immediately and double checked oil etc. Second start attempt it started normally with no warnings, tried several times and warning hasn't returned. Anyone experience this or should I be concerned?
Thx

Old 06-11-2020, 11:27 AM
bobdisp will become famous soon enough
You need to scan both ports with an OBDII tool. I had a similar "Urgent" message recently and had the oh s@*t moment. It turned out I was able to find and clear the alert with my scanner. Let me know what you find.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by bobdisp
You need to scan both ports with an OBDII tool. I had a similar "Urgent" message recently and had the oh s@*t moment. It turned out I was able to find and clear the alert with my scanner. Let me know what you find.
Yeah I'm away from car until next week but I plan on having it read, just want some piece of mind until then, lol. Btw can you share what your issue was?

Old 06-11-2020, 11:46 AM
It was a high value reading to the driver's side airbag. Once cleared, it has not returned. I found this through the "Body" OBD port. Make sure you check both ports. Good luck!

Old 06-11-2020, 02:15 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Where are both ports?

Old 06-11-2020, 05:26 PM
In my DB9, the ports are side by side under the steering column skirt, on the right.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by bobdisp
It was a high value reading to the driver's side airbag. Once cleared, it has not returned. I found this through the "Body" OBD port. Make sure you check both ports. Good luck!
Thanks, I shoved the key to start right away instead of waiting till all lights go out, hoping that was it. Alternatively I've been running race fuel with 91 octane, hoping i didn't screw something up.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:20 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
When you mention Race Fuel, any particular type or brand? Leaded race fuel kills oxygen sensors. Not saying it's an issue on yours but pump gas is fine.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
When you mention Race Fuel, any particular type or brand? Leaded race fuel kills oxygen sensors. Not saying it's an issue on yours but pump gas is fine.
So the max octane in AZ is 91, so I mix 50/50 96 octane with the regular 91. I've never thought about lead but know a bunch of ferrari guys use that pump.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:32 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You should be fine in that aspect, didn't know what fuel you were blending. Shouldn't be any lead in pump gas race fuel.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:34 PM
So I got a little update on this. The mechanic had actually never seen "urgent service required" in any Aston before, the code came back to a bad right bank o2 sensor. The thought is I got some bad fuel last time as the car only has 14k miles. The recommendation is to fill it up with 100 octane and give it an Italian tune up which I'm more than happy to do, vbg! If it doesn't work a new o2 sensor is next step.

Last edited by Zepe; 07-02-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:13 AM
AstonCarma is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Zepe
So I got a little update on this. The mechanic had actually never seen "urgent service required" in any Aston before, the code came back to a bad right bank o2 sensor. The thought is I got some bad fuel last time as the car only has 14k miles. The recommendation is to fill it up with 100 octane and give it an Italian tune up which I'm more than happy to do, vbg! If it doesn't work a new o2 sensor is next step.
I've seen "Urgent Service Required" and it was due to a significant amount of misfires in the system. Pretty sure other cars have had this as well. As other users mentioned, clear your codes as it seems to be almost the equivalent of a Check Engine Light (could be many things). Then, watch carefully to see if it returns and if you have a scanner, watch your misfire counts. If it show up again, there's going to be a code associated with it, and if it turns out to be something like a misfire code, I wouldn't recommend continuing to drive the vehicle without addressing the issue asap.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by AstonCarma
I've seen "Urgent Service Required" and it was due to a significant amount of misfires in the system. Pretty sure other cars have had this as well. As other users mentioned, clear your codes as it seems to be almost the equivalent of a Check Engine Light (could be many things). Then, watch carefully to see if it returns and if you have a scanner, watch your misfire counts. If it show up again, there's going to be a code associated with it, and if it turns out to be something like a misfire code, I wouldn't recommend continuing to drive the vehicle without addressing the issue asap.
Makes sense, I know aston 1936 recommends the Foxwell Nt 510 but that is a week plus for delivery. Is there any cheapie scanners that one of the auto part stores carry that will work?

Old 07-03-2020, 01:46 PM
Everyone has a HF close, or Princess auto.

https://www.harborfreight.com/zr8-ob...ata-63809.html

Cheers, James

Old 07-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
Everyone has a HF close, or Princess auto.

https://www.harborfreight.com/zr8-ob...ata-63809.html

Cheers, James
Hey Thx. I have several by the house but wasn't sure if a generic reader would work to reset Mil light.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "Urgent Service required"