Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Late Model DB9 Subwoofer Mounting - New here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 07:05 PM
HarpersMuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Late Model DB9 Subwoofer Mounting - New here

Good Day All!

New to the forum, and with my new to me dream car, a 2007 DB9 Volante - more pics posted in the Pic thread. I bought her back in September and have already put nearly 10,000 miles on her (yes I do love to drive...). Prior owner neglected a fair bit so I've been working through several projects over the last few months. (Full fluid service, door struts, nav screen repair, rebuilt the cluster message screen with new polarizer, full brake service, new leather on the dash, re-sealed the leaky transmission mechatronics unit, and various electrical repair work.) I'm waiting for a new convertible top (or hood for our fellow Brits) to install in January which should be a fun project. Also need to have the hood re-painted as it looks like the paint on the nose is separating from the aluminum, but will have it paint corrected and ceramic coated at that time.

Next on my list of to-do's is to update the 260W Linn system as many here have. I've already put in a Denison Gateway unit and Android auto/backup camera system to the factory nav. I'll be updating to AudioFrog or Morel speakers throughout, and have sourced a pair of the late model B&O floor boxes with grilles (Hate the look of them added to the door panels) to add 6.5" mid-bass speakers to the system with an AudioContol D 6-1200.1 amp/DSP.

My question is for those that have 2008+ DB9s, how does your subwoofer mount under the seat? Does anyone have pictures? I have the pre-update center of the back seat subwoofer, which still works. However the plastic housing has cracked at the subwoofer rim which rattles, and is overall just a bad placement and design... I saw that the 2008 on moved the subwoofer under the driver side rear seat and looks to be a much more substantial box. It also looks like it has a vent, but is there a port in the aluminum / carpet into the cabin as well or does it just fit in the void over the navigation unit behind the aluminum plating? I can find plenty of pics of folks that upgraded the center sub, but none of the later model box and how it's mounted. The parts diagrams are vague at best.

I've already gotten quite a lot of good information just lurking here, and look forward to talking with y'all moving forward.

Old 12-28-2021, 10:29 PM
V12Stealth is an unknown quantity at this point
Great color combo. Where are you located?

My 2009 has the subwoofer in the center of the rear seats. I have the standard Alpine(?) sound system. I'm pretty sure AM deliberately "detuned" it so that they could make the B&O system sound better/different. Its probably the worst factory audio system I have ever heard. I never use it.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:55 AM
Many thanks to you! I'm located in Kansas City Missouri for now (Active Army so move regularly). And many thanks for the info. That makes me wonder if it's an optional item. The parts diagrams show the under-seat being a year change item, but it may be a package item instead... I can't see why there would be two subs in the later models, but I guess anything is possible...

Old 12-29-2021, 11:20 PM
AM4884 will become famous soon enoughAM4884 will become famous soon enough
Beautiful car! Love the color combinations.

Look forward to seeing it when you rotate through the "5 sided wind tunnel"...

Old 01-04-2022, 02:09 PM
So I bit the bullet and bought a used subwoofer assembly out of a 2008 Volante to play with. It looks like the subwoofer bolts in place of the entire driver rear seat assembly (The aluminum support) and the seat pad attaches to the top of it, carpet to the front of it. I did temporarily wire it in, and it sounds vastly improved over the original unit. Punchy, and more supportive than the middle of the seat unit.

The big issue is I have to re-locate the emergency parking release handle as it no longer has a place to mount. Anyone with the seat-based sub unit know where the parking release got relocated to?

Old 05-23-2023, 05:06 AM
trainwreck is an unknown quantity at this point
Cluster screen rebuild

Hey I know this is an older thread. But curious how you rebuilt the cluster message screen and added polarizer